YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Replacing shocks on stock height runner???? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/replacing-shocks-stock-height-runner-146348/)

randomhero 05-29-2008 09:26 PM

Replacing shocks on stock height runner????

I've searched for the past 3 hours on this subject, and seemed to find a thousand different answers, so i'm asking for my situation... 2001 2wd 4runner, looking to replace front/rear shocks and probably the rear springs as the truck is sitting on the large bumpstop inside the rear coil.. I'd like a great ride for the street, the runner see's minor offroading, but thats usually down logging-ranch roads, no rock crawling here... I'd just like your guys opinions, is bilstien, trekmaster, ome, monroe the way to go... :help:

DeathCougar 05-29-2008 10:03 PM

You will likely get the same answers as you have been finding. Everyone has different opinions on whats best.

I run Bilstein, and have been happy with their performance. 3+ years and no troubles.

randomhero 05-30-2008 05:47 AM

what series bilstiens?? I've read numerous places the HD's are RUFF and not well suited for a pavement queen like mine

crolison 05-30-2008 06:02 AM

I got some gabriel rear shocks I ran for the week, 10 bucks plus shipping, I highly doubt you buy these.

kmcaprice14 05-30-2008 07:20 AM

i have the trekkmasters... tokico is what toyota uses stock, so I felt good going with these. The ride is a hair firmer than stock, but feels much more balanced. They handle bumps well, and give a good onroad ride.

Ron Helmuth 05-30-2008 09:08 AM

check out TRD of Dallas they have the Bilsteins on sale. I run Bilsteins on mine and the ride is firm but acceptable. It improved greatly when I added my ARB bumper to the front end.

Also shocks.com I believe is another website for discount shocks.

Performance Products offers the Bilstein shocks and the 1" spring package for the rears. Their stuff is pricey but a sale is always right around the bend.

randomhero 05-30-2008 04:51 PM

Is this normal for these.. as i mentioned up top the springs seemed sagged out, and the truck is sitting in the driveway w/no extra weight. What purpose does that big bumpstop serve?? Does it look like mine is any lower than it should be?
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...2/DSC00716.jpg

randomhero 05-30-2008 04:55 PM

And the more i think about it.. How stiff is "stiff" with these bilstiens?? The reason i ask is i'm a volunteer fire fighter, and the runner see's some pretty quick speeds and some wild driving at times, never really noticed it until today going on a call, but the damn thing sways badly turning-changing lanes sudenly.. I've read where the bilstiens give the runner much better handling, and im thinking this might be the right choice.... You the Trekmasters provide improved handling near the Bilstiens??

randomhero 05-30-2008 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth (Post 50842027)
check out TRD of Dallas they have the Bilsteins on sale. I run Bilsteins on mine and the ride is firm but acceptable. It improved greatly when I added my ARB bumper to the front end.

Also shocks.com I believe is another website for discount shocks.

Performance Products offers the Bilstein shocks and the 1" spring package for the rears. Their stuff is pricey but a sale is always right around the bend.

No luck w/trd of dallas (trdparts.com) selling bilstein, all they had were OEM..

kmcaprice14 05-30-2008 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by randomhero (Post 50842262)
And the more i think about it.. How stiff is "stiff" with these bilstiens?? The reason i ask is i'm a volunteer fire fighter, and the runner see's some pretty quick speeds and some wild driving at times, never really noticed it until today going on a call, but the damn thing sways badly turning-changing lanes sudenly.. I've read where the bilstiens give the runner much better handling, and im thinking this might be the right choice.... You the Trekmasters provide improved handling near the Bilstiens??

The trekmasters provide significantly better handling, but in my case, this may also be the result of having Old Man Emu springs at all 4 corners. By the way, with springs as sagged out as yours (and no, your bumpstops should NOT be that close to the axle) you will need new springs anyway. You might as well replace springs front and rear while replacing the shocks. As far as installation goes, you have to take the front apart anyway, so it would be a great time to replace the springs too.

I personally am very happy with my OME 881/890 setup... it gives me a 2-2.5" lift while riding better, and handling more nimbly than stock. Thats pretty solid in my book.

DailyDrive 05-31-2008 05:57 AM

I would not touch Monroe. Last time I looked at them all models had horrible welding and finish. Unless they save money on the outside and build up the internals, but I somehow doubt that.

Ron Helmuth 06-02-2008 05:39 AM

here is a link for trd parts 4 u and 4Runners-they had Bilsteins on their site just a few days ago anyways-

http://trdparts4u.com/ML-G.aspx

I may have referred to them in error above-also I heard Houston Yota dealers get good prices for Orig Equipment stuff.

Roadtripr 06-02-2008 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by randomhero (Post 50842262)

Imo the are stiff and that is why I think of removing them. They will make the runner handle better for sure, but you will also feel every imperfection in the road. The lean will be less but it still isn't a stable vehicle for arupt lane changes. I would consider trekmasters from Tokico before the bilsteins .

Ron Helmuth 06-02-2008 11:01 AM

Trekmasters are a good choice

Originally Posted by Roadtripr (Post 50843826)
Imo the are stiff and that is why I think of removing them. They will make the runner handle better for sure, but you will also feel every imperfection in the road. The lean will be less but it still isn't a stable vehicle for arupt lane changes. I would consider trekmasters from Tokico before the bilsteins .

Yeah I would agree the Tokicos are likely a more forgiving ride, I would not recommend Bilsteins for a 3rd gen unless you have additional weight.

naksukow 06-02-2008 06:26 PM

I would recommned the Tokico trekmasters from Sonoran steel and the 99 shocks if you wanted a very minor lift.

75w90mantraN 07-08-2008 10:35 PM

I second Tokico as well (Trekmaster series). Just installed the rears and the comparison to stock is obvious. The bumps are much more handled well in the back IF you are driving slowly over them - like a ship in very calm waters. Faster speeds and you actually feel the bump twice as much. Sucks to be in the back when that happens. But I speak from a lightly-loaded-in-the-back perspective. Add more weight and my bet is the bump wouldn't be felt as much at higher speeds.

Excellent article on ride characteristics of two main classes of shocks, low-pressure vs high-pressure gas, twin-tube vs monotube. Hope it helps anyone seeking the answers to such highly opinionated topics.
http://www.whiteline.com.au/default....aqshocks01.htm

SoCalPaul 07-09-2008 11:30 AM

I highly recommend replacing your springs & shocks.

I found that the rear on my '96 4Runner was bouncing off the central bump stops & severely upsetting the truck even on small bumps. Any new springs & shocks will initially feel stiff (they are new, not 100k miles old). I installed the Performance Products springs & Bilsteins & am very happy. I just did a run to Bullhead City, AZ (600+ mi. roundtrip) & they were great. The handling is far superior to before & the ride is fine for me. Is there more road feel? Yes. Unacceptable? No. The most important thing is that neither the front nor the rear hits the bump stops except on severe dips & bumps & the chassis handles them exceptionally well. There is a dip I cross regularly that, at 20 miles per hour, would jerk the steering & pogo stick the back. Now I can take it at 35mph & it feels fine. Dirt roads are great, the dash no longer shakes like it's going to fall off.

Bottom line replace them. Bilstein, OME or Tokico make good shocks & will be a big improvement over what you have. Don't forget some springs too.

For a full report on my experience :
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...pplers-148116/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...a-pics-148477/

Paul

nieuwendyk-25 07-20-2008 08:19 PM

I have had a much different result with the Bilsteins on my 3rd Generation 4WD. They absolutely ruined the handling. It dives in turns, and I have lost a lot of my control. It is much worse when towing even light loads. I have checked to make sure they are the correct numbers and they are. Though they cost me a lot including installation, I am thinking of removing them and going with the trekmasters. I don't feel like it is worn springs, because I noticed an immediate downgrade in the handling after they were installed.

My 4runner is stock height with stock size BFG A/T's. I will never buy another Bilstein product.....I wish they were stiff!! It almost feels like I don't have shocks on the truck.

Sorry to add confusion, but that has been my experience. I wish I had my old stock shocks back on!