Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Recovered stolen truck wont start Master Key/ECM trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recovered stolen truck wont start Master Key/ECM trouble?

Im original owner of 2001 4runner SR5 V6 3.4 4WD it was stolen 6 months ago and just recovered.!!
Cop found parked on street in Monterey Bay close to the ocean. Thieves put in new battery in July but looks like it was parked since. When I first opened door I didn't have remote and car alarm activated. I put the key in the ignition and alarm turned off but car wouldn't start even with jump. All inside and out lights work. Put in new battery no luck. Had truck towed home. Tried remote but battery was dead.

Checked my keys none will open glovebox. Been to dealership now 3 times: first told my key doesn't have chip by Service, next went back to replace remote battery told I had master key,and today had dealer cut new master key they told me one of my keys was a master but does NOT open glove box. Asked for new master key to be cut with VIN, my registration as a spare. The new one opens up glove box, however first time I put it in ignition it did NOT want to turn. Locked and unlocked doors then it would turn and crank but still not fire.

I understand if I have chip in key (which I don't think I do somehow the parts guy couldn't confirm either way with VIN) the ECM/ECU has to be reflashed or reset at dealer they said I would have to bring in my truck and I heard that Toyota NA has program to replace one time but your still stuck with labor and cost of keys.

Question. If I don't have chip in key is there any reset program I can do without towing and dealing with dealer? Trying to do this without a huge bill on limited budget. Any other ideas what the thieves could have done to my baby? Just want to get back on the road again somehow knew I'd get 'er back.

Also since thieves know where I live what's the best way to get new ignition, door locks to prevent them coming back again. Dealer quoted $450 for just ignition part, new lock assembly $1500 without labor!!!! I guess I need to worry about one thing at a time just trying to avoid additional waste of time and money.