YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   rear main seal replacement (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/rear-main-seal-replacement-15060/)

vtoy 08-01-2003 06:13 PM

rear main seal replacement

am replacing the rear main seal with an '88 pickup, v6 manual. I have the flywheel off, but can not get the rear main oil seal retainer off due to the 2 studs that extend through the oil pan. Do I have to remove the oilpan? I don't want to bend/break the studs. Help!

4runner4ever 08-02-2003 11:54 AM

You don't have to remove anything. Especially not the oil pan. If the flywheel is off, use a sharp metal object and hammer it into the seal. Not to deep! You should be able to remove it, using a screwdriver in the hole you made. Just wobble it a bit and it comes out.:readit:

yotaconvert 02-08-2010 12:31 PM

i am in the same situation i have already unbolted mine and dont want to drop the pan can i just put it back without putting sealant in it is the rtv sealant still ok

waskillywabbit 02-08-2010 12:55 PM

You need to reaseal it.

:guitar:

muddbogg21 02-08-2010 06:09 PM

i did mine about a year ago you can pull it out just by putting a screw in the seal get some pliers wiggle it out my came out easy (thankfully)

yotaconvert 02-08-2010 07:14 PM

well we took out the bolts around the retainer so i need to re seal it can we goober some seal back there or do i have to drop the pita oil pan and differential

yotaconvert 02-09-2010 07:12 PM

short cut found for the rear main seal retainer

the 2 studs going through the oil pan according to the chiltons manual and toyota service manual require that you drop the oil pan to free the studs on the bottom in the oil pan wich requires you to also drop the front transfer case to drop the oil pan but a game of 20 questions played with a tech the parts department put on the line he said the studs can be removed with locking pliers tedious but worth it and they even stock the studs to replace them for a wopping price of $2.90 each but i replaced the studs with bolts from napa for .62 plus tax for 2 saved me a day of work and a can of worms:drunk:

Seanwain 04-20-2010 06:12 AM

I replaced my rear main seal a few weeks ago I dropped the oil pan cleaned it out painted it and while I was at it I cleaned the oil pickup and everything else around there replaced the seal followed the instructions from the FSM put it all back together and the rear seal started leaking again after about 100 miles :mad2: :pop: It was worth pulling the pan in my opinion because I was able to clean out the sludge from the last 320,000 miles I have better oil pressure then I have had in years. I have some pictures I can try and post if any one is interested. I say pull the pan it is not as big of a job everyone seems to make it. Now I have to figure out why the new seal is leaking:bang:.

yotaconvert 04-20-2010 07:23 AM

wow you may want to check the back of the valve cover gaskets when i had my tranny out there was a perfect stream of oil down the back of the motor straight to the rear main seal could be the problem