YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Question for Steve(sschaefer3)? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/question-steve-sschaefer3-1892/)

Stump1883 09-15-2002 08:23 PM

Question for Steve(sschaefer3)?

Hey Steve, I'm lifting my 96' 2WD Runner here in a few months. I'm going to use Corfed 2.5" spacers up front and 2.5" Downey coils outback, w/ Blisteins at all four coners. Now my question is, with all the parts that you advertise, such as bumpstops and the brackets that relocate the drive shaft, e-brake, and whatnot, are these things that I would need being 2WD or are they things specific to 4WD lifted Runners? Please let me know, I'm trying to gather as much info about lifts to add to what I know now(which is basically nothing). So any kinda feed back on these issues would be great. Thanks man.

-Scott

Edit: Anyone else feel free to chime in, all the info and opinions I can get along this learning process would be great.

snoozer 09-15-2002 09:31 PM

Keep in mind that a 2wd 4Runner sits 1 inch lower than a 4wd. The Downey rear coils lift a 4wd 2.5 inches and 2wd 3.5 inches. Putting 2.5" spacers on your front 2wd springs in conjunction with the downey coils might leave your rear 1" higher.

Stump1883 09-16-2002 07:10 AM

So are you saying that I only need to get a 1.5" lift for the rear Downey's to make it even all the way around? Anyone else agree with this one, I want an even 2.5" all the way, is this the set-up I need for a 2WD Runner?
2.5" Cornfed Spacers(front)
1.5" Downey coils(rear)

snoozer 09-16-2002 08:17 AM

If the coils give a 1.5" lift on a 4wd, they would give a 2wd 2.5". Downey makes a coil shorter than the 2.5/3.5" but I don't remember exactly how much lift it gives. You might be better off going with a 2.5" spacer in the rear to ensure you get an equal amount of lift. I'm sure others will chime in with more options.

sschaefer3 09-16-2002 08:45 AM

Yes you will or could use the Sonora Steel stuff. What you want to do will work really well except, you need to buy the stock 4WD front springs for your wheel/engine size.

I would get the 16"-V6-4WD stock front springs. They can be picked up for around $100 online.

If you can swing it the SAW's would be better than the stock coil/cornbred/bilstien combo, but at $700 they are expensive.

Don't work off 2WD figures, go for the 4WD lift since your low rideing already. Build it up off the stock 4WD height/springs only the front on your case.

The parts I make are for people that want top take it one step further and return more stuff to stock angles.

Stump1883 09-17-2002 05:33 AM

Okay so to get all this straight in my mind. You are saying that I need to purchase the front coils of a 4WD Runner. Replace my 2WD coils w/ those(front). Then put spacers and Bils. up front to get the 2.5". Then w/ the coils replaced in the front, I can just go ahead and get the 2.5" coils from Downey, and that will give me the dead even 2.5" all the way around? Did I get all that right? If so please let me know so I can start scouting out some of those springs and estimating costs from there. Also where can I find these 4WD front springs? Thanks Steve, this is a big change from what I have been thinking but it seems to make alot of sense in theory(basically that means in my head, scary place). Please get back to me on this one.

sschaefer3 09-17-2002 08:37 AM

Yes you have it right. I would purchase brand new coils from an online dealer.

Do you have the V6 engine? You want these springs:

99-01 R 48131-35400
99-01 L 48131-35350

Even if you have an 96-98 or 02 these are the newest and most refined version of the spring. They are for a V6, 4WD, 16" wheel 4Runner ans will match the Downey rear very well with the spacers.

Downey springs Part # 48296-3 will give you between 2.25 and 2.5" of lift over the 4WD height which you are now working off, depending on how much weight you have back there.

Leave the cones in for that extra 1/4". You'll get 2.5" then for sure.

Stump1883 09-17-2002 09:38 AM

What are "the cones" that you are talking about to leave in to give me that extra 1/4" or so? Yes I have the V6, but not the 16" wheels, does that fact matter at all? I have 15" wheels now and want to add 32x11.50s after the lift. Just let me know if the lack of 16" wheels matters at all. Thanks again, you are alot of help.

sschaefer3 09-17-2002 11:52 AM

Your current wheel size does not matter.

All 4Runners made in 99 and after have center isolator cones in the center of the springs. If you took your truck in for the rear spring recall you have should now have these as well.

If not see what happens first then order a set. My sonoran steel stops are a million times better than the cones so your $$$ would be better spent there.

Also you should drop your panhard bar. Do it right.

Stump1883 09-17-2002 12:14 PM

I want to do it all right, everything. I know lifts can be in a way bad for the truck, but I really want it, so I'm going to do it, and anything that can make the lifting process better on my truck the better. Now I don't have enough money right now to get the drop stops and the panhard thing, but can I lift it now and then later down the road when I have the money again, buy these other products w/o any damage to my truck? What do you think is the worst thing/causes the most damage generally on lifted trucks(ex. the angle on the driveshaft)? I know I have alot of questions but I really want to do it right, and not hurt the lift of my Runner in any way. I have 113,00 miles on my baby now and would like to see it run another 100K w/o a problem(the way a Toyota should). :D

sschaefer3 09-17-2002 01:29 PM

Yes you can add it later.

With 113,000 miles it a GOOD thing your buying new front springs as well. Spacers would hot have been pretty on 113,000 mile springs.

The stock 4WD ones are the ticket with the Cornbreds.

Beowulf 09-17-2002 02:17 PM

Hey Stump, are you sure you don't want to just get in with the group buy for the Sway-A-Ways that is going on now?

Instead of dealing with all the different parts, vendors and shipping, just buy a pair if SAW's for 580.00 in the group buy.

After adding up all the parts including shipping and the hassle of going through all the different dealers, the difference may not be that great.

They are a complete coil-over shock for the front. This is the best way to go! No need for front spacers, new stock front 4WD coils and front Bilsteins shocks... the SAW's will take care of all that and are adjustable from stock to 2.5".

And the SAW's have the Best of The Best seal of approval from the Suspension Guru himself Steve Schaefer! :D

sschaefer3 09-17-2002 02:37 PM

$400 versus $600.

Sway-A-Ways and Downey/Bilstein rear is better, more expensive, but better.

Keep in mind though that the Sway-A-Ways are real live racing shocks and will need to be re-built from time to time. The stock coil/spacer/bilstein set up will last another 100,000 miles without any maintenance.

Keep in mind that this is a 2WD 4Runner and the latest and greatest off-road equipment is not necessarily needed.

Beowulf 09-17-2002 02:51 PM

Originally posted by sschaefer3
Keep in mind though that the Sway-A-Ways are real live racing shocks and will need to be re-built from time to time.
How often would you say the rebuild is on those Steve? Do you know if Jeff The Marmot has had to rebuild his yet? (I know he has had them for a while now and is pretty hard on them.)

Thanks

sschaefer3 09-17-2002 04:35 PM

Mark Mason of Kong's 4X4 said every 35,000. Technically they are designed to be rebuilt after every race.

I bet they fade after a while and if it's real gradual you might not even notice it.

But you do need to get them rebuilt - refreshed every so often.

Stump1883 09-17-2002 08:00 PM

I'm really messed up now. I have always wanted the Race Runners, and now that I can afford them better it's even more inticing to me. And now that I hear about the Racer Runners needing to be re-built, that scares me too, I want a lift that will last(no sagging, nothing after the initial drop) and last as long as my Runner will w/o too many problems. I don't even know what a re-build on the Race Runners means or how much we are talking about on the re-build? Beowulf, you were the guy that originally set me up w/ the lift that I have been thinking of for awhile now. You broke it down for me and showed me the diff. b/w the mods I had in mind and the lift. So I'll run the numbers again w/ these 2 diff. set-ups and see where I save. Also Beowulf you were the one person that seemed to understand my dilimma I had w/ everyone else suggesting things I really didn't "NEED" you understood my "college guy on a budget" deal. So knowing that I look to you for the best for me and my budget ideas. Now hearing that what do you really suggest to me. Steve jump in on this if you want, I like hearing from you and Beowulf, you both seem to have a good grasp on where I'm coming from and you have great ideas and suggestions for me. PLEASE help me out here, I want to get the best I can for the best price, and I need to know so I can let ppl. know whats going on if I need to get in on the group buy. Also I have a guy offering me his 4WD coils(all 4) for $150. CTapia is the guy offering this to me. Is this a good idea if I go with the cornfed/ downey set-up? Things are swirling around in my mind now and I could really use your help and experteise(sp), and anyone elses as well. Thanks in advance.

-Scott

Beowulf 09-17-2002 11:33 PM

Hey Stump, I think Steve made some really good points.

1. SAW Front / Bilstein-Downey Rear = Best in performance but with maintenance every 2-3 years depending on your driving style.

2. Cornfeds Bils Front / Downey Bils Rear = Good setup and no maintenance.

It all really comes down to economics ($$$) and what you think is best for your application. If you plan on just street driving than the SAW's are really only good for bragging rights :cool:

But if you were going to use your rig as a fast type of baja/ light trail runner (which is what the SAW's were originally developed for ... PreRunner's) then the SAW's would be an awesome setup. Plus you are dealing with less rounding up of parts, shipping and dealers.

I wouldn't get caught up worrying too much about the rebuild aspects of the SAW's, a lot of people are running them and unless you put on some serious miles or hard wheeling on your vehicle, you probably wouldn't need to rebuild them for at least a couple of years (and it could be a cool learning experience doing it). But if you just want to forget about that, the Bilstein/Cornfeds are a no brainer once you get them installed properly ... that's pretty much it.

This is what I would do ...

I would add up the cost of all of these parts including shipping and handling for this setup:

Original Bilstein/Cornfed/Downey Setup
1 Pair Bilstein Shocks (Front)
1 Pair Bilstein Shocks (Rear)
1 Pair Cornfed Spacers (Front)
1 Pair Downey Springs (Rear)
1 Pair Toyota Stock Front 4WD Coils (Front)
TOTAL Including shipping: ??? you need to call and find out.

Also, don't forget to factor in your time and dealing with multiple vendors, etc.

If the total price for the above setup is significantly less than $930 (say a $200+ difference) than depending on your driving style, just stay with the above setup.

But if the above Cornfed setup is close to $930 (say within a $100.00 +/-50.00), then seriously consider this one:

Sway-A-Way RaceRunner Setup
1 Pair 2.5" SAW adjustable Coilovers (Front)
1 Pair Bilstein shocks (Rear)
1 Pair Downey 3.5" Rear Coils (Rear)
1 Pair Rancho Limiting Straps (Rear)
1 E-Brake Bracket
TOTAL Including shipping: $930

The SAW kit above is $930 including shipping and handling. It is offered as a package deal (LOL ... Suspension in a box:nerd: ) through Mike at Xtreme Off-Road. Mike is actually the guy in charge of the group buy going on right now. Then you are only dealing with one vendor and you have less hassle as well.

This pretty much sums up what I would do. Cheers :drink:

By the way Steve, is that your Sonoran Steel E-bracket in Mikes SAW package?

Stump1883 09-18-2002 06:50 AM

Thanks Beowulf. Once again your a huge help to me in this learing process. I really really want the Race Runners. But I can't see myself forking over $930 for it, plus instalation(sp). I have already bought the Bils. they should be here tomarrow(at least the rears will) so from ther I only have to buy the 4WD coils, spacers and Downeys, not a really fun experiance to get them from diff. people and all but alot cheeper as I see it coming out(I still need to call Downey and ask about their shipping charges). Now if I have the 4WD coils and basically have the set-up of a 4WD Runner then how much of a lift do I need from Downey for the rear, to get an even 2.5" all the way around? I think I should know that b4 I go calling Downey and ask about shipping. Thanks again.

sschaefer3 09-18-2002 07:06 AM

2 brand new stock front coils are $100. You don't need the rear.

sschaefer3 09-18-2002 07:10 AM

No the e-bracket comes with the Downey springs. Only OME people need mine.

Mike was going to look at making a second package that adds the PanHard and BumpStops.

BTW- who do you think originally came up with Mike's package.

So stump buy what you can afford. Either option will be fine. That's all that's to it.