YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Question about braking (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/question-about-braking-5208/)

az4x4runner 01-11-2003 06:19 AM

Question about braking

I've noticed that when on the highway, when braking from like 55 or 60 mph, or even 45, I feel a slight surging as I am braking. On downhills is the only time I notice it, it might do it all the time though. Any ideas what it could be caused by?
Thanks,
-Bryan

tomus1000 01-11-2003 08:51 AM

You might have a slightly warped rotor. Just a thought.

Rick F. 01-11-2003 10:13 AM

Watch your tach... I've noticed occasionally that as I brake, the tach drops to about 1600, then comes back up to about 2000 rpm and I feel a slight surge. Has anyone else experienced this and is it simply one of those "4Runner things"?...

jalaber 01-11-2003 12:07 PM

When you are crusing at speeds over 48mph the torque converter will most likley be in lock up mode. When you touch the brakes the converter will unlock and the rpms will therefore shoot up and may be contributing to your "surge".

az4x4runner 01-11-2003 12:23 PM

The surging I was refering to is actually bineg caused by the breaks I am pretty sure. No changes in engine RPM and its continuous till I come to a stop.

jalaber 01-11-2003 01:30 PM

Can you clarify what you mean by the term "surge". Thanks.

Shane 01-11-2003 04:07 PM

Warped rotor, out of round drum, or gear oil leaking onto the rear drums. Those are the causes I've seen in the past on my vehicles, and usually a warped rotor will also be felt though the steering wheel shaking.

PhxTRDRunner 01-11-2003 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Shane
Warped rotor, out of round drum, or gear oil leaking onto the rear drums. Those are the causes I've seen in the past on my vehicles, and usually a warped rotor will also be felt though the steering wheel shaking.

I have to agree 100% :)

az4x4runner 01-11-2003 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Shane
Hmm, sounds great. Is there any way I can check to see if it is being caused by leaking gear oil?
Thanks for the info guys.
-Bryan

Jay 01-11-2003 06:35 PM

Is there any way I can check to see if it is being caused by leaking gear oil?
Look at the inside sidewalls of your rear tires. If your seals are leaking, youll have gear oil all over the sidewall. It is usually obvious, just with a quick look. However Im sure that at the begining stages of a leak it may not be very noticable. Best way to tell is to actually remove the rear wheels and brake drums and inspect for fluid contaimation.

Based on your braking complaint, I would tend to think your rotors/drums are warped/out of round. More than likely its your rotors. In order too determine if the vibration is coming from the front or rear, while driving in an isolated area without traffic, gently pull the e-brake. If you feel the same vibration, the cause is the rear drums.

az4x4runner 01-11-2003 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Jay
Look at the inside sidewalls of your rear tires. If your seals are leaking, youll have gear oil all over the sidewall. It is usually obvious, just with a quick look. However Im sure that at the begining stages of a leak it may not be very noticable. Best way to tell is to actually remove the rear wheels and brake drums and inspect for fluid contaimation.

Based on your braking complaint, I would tend to think your rotors/drums are warped/out of round. More than likely its your rotors. In order too determine if the vibration is coming from the front or rear, while driving in an isolated area without traffic, gently pull the e-brake. If you feel the same vibration, the cause is the rear drums.

Ok thanks, I will try that tomorrow.
-Bryan