Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Putting the truck on the lift this Weekend

Old 08-15-2005, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting the truck on the lift this Weekend

I am taking my truck to my step dad's this weekend who has a shop with a lift. So far this is what I have planned:

1. Rotate tires

2. Put on new "unrusted" OEM used running boards in place of old rusted ones.

3. Timing Belt

4. Oil Change

It is a 99 4runner sr5 with 140,000 miles on it. I have given it a full tune up already (fuel filter, plugs, wires, etc...)

Is there anything else that you would recommend doing or checking out at this point? I want to take advantage of having the lift and the expertise of my step dad.

Also, the timing belt...should I get an OEM one or is it ok if I use a generic one from Carquest or something down by his shop? They dont have a yota dealer around. I figure it is just a belt right? Or no? What do they run approximately in regards to cost?

Thanks for the input
Old 08-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My suggestion... take the running boards and trash it. Don't replace it at all. Check all fluids: pwr steering, brake, transmission, and coolant. Check for any leaks while you are up there. Better to see them and correct them now than later. I must say I'm very spoiled when it comes to a lift. After working where I do, I can't stand working on a vehicle the "shade tree" way since it's sooo much easier with a lift. Depending on the lift, you may have problems with the running boards and also frame setup is kinda weird on our Toys so you may want to use the transmission cross member as a jack point as well as the rear track bars as points to lift.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:33 PM

Yeah, as for trashing the running boards it is currently my wifes daily driver and she is 5'3...she wont go without the running boards, and I dont blame her since she drives it to work in nice clothes...although I would love to just get rid of the boards.

Oh well...the boards that are on there now are nice and rusted on there at the bolts, that is going to be fun getting off. Already busted a socket wrench trying.

How hard is putting a lift on a truck, I was thinking of keeping the stock rims/tires on (oversize tires) and boosting it up about 1-1.5 inches. It would be a body lift, not suspension of course...Dont know how long that would take or how labor intense it may be.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Not hard at all to put a body lift. Just unbolt the body mounts jack up the body put the spacer in and put in longer bolts. Just put plenty of PB Blaster or any other rust penetrant on them for awhile.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:25 PM

When you put on a body lift do you have to lift anything else, like the engine mount or anything else under the hood or at any other location on the body?

Are there different types of lift kits etc...what is the best type of setup for those. Any companies or types anyone would recommend?

Why do you use PB Blaster after you put them on and where exactly do you put it on the equipment.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by theryanator
Why do you use PB Blaster after you put them on and where exactly do you put it on the equipment.
Thanks.
He was just referring to using PB Blaster on the ORIGINAL bolts prior to removing them, just to help in the taking apart process.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

When you put on a body lift do you have to lift anything else, like the engine mount or anything else under the hood or at any other location on the body?
Nothing under the hood. Read this http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...er/index.shtml

Are there different types of lift kits etc...what is the best type of setup for those. Any companies or types anyone would recommend?
Look no further than
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml