Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pics and write up of TRD Tundra/OME 3rd gen suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Pics and write up of TRD Tundra/OME 3rd gen suspension

OK...So after about 3 weeks of researching, planning, and gathering parts I finally installed my new lift and new wheels/tires...The following is some info on what I used, and some of my own opinions on the process.

[COLOR=Yellow]Front:
-TRD Tundra 4x4 Coils
-Andy's Top Spacers, w/ extended studs
-OME N91s shock set
-Sonoran Diff drop COLOR]
**Notes: The Tundra coils I ordered from www.1sttoyotaparts.com, they were pretty damn cheap and came in a couple days...I just used the part #s from "THE thread" and it was cake. Got the N91s shocks from www.Wheelersoffroad.com, this was cake too these guys rock they got the order right out and I had all my OME stuff in a few days. Ordered the spacers and studs straight through Andy (Bamachem) these were super affordable, but demand seems a little high, I lucked out and got mine barely in time...I think he is all sold out now for a while but if someone is willing to wait this is the best deal...Got the diff drop direct from Steve www.SonoranSteel.com, awesome guy and very nice product!

Rear:
-OME 890 Coils
-OME N86 shocks
-Installed conical bumpstops OEM

***Notes: The OME stuff was super easy for me to get from wheelers as I stated above...the only decision I had on the rear was between the 890 or 891 coils...I went ahead and went for the 890s since i dont carry a lot of weight in the rear, and no towing. I am glad I did, the ride is PERFECT for me. I would suggest the 891s to anyone who has lots of weight or tows.

Wheels & Tires:
-03/04 17" 4Runner wheels OEM
-BFG Mud Terrain 285-70-17
-Marlin Crawler 1" Wheel spacers

***Notes: This is where my project took a turn towards the more expensive route... Well I had seen people who had used the Tundra/Sequoia wheels and I loved it..looked really good. So myself I happened to come across a nice set of takeoffs from an 03 4Runner, got them for like $200 which at the time I thought was awesome because they were so cheap...I had not really thoroughly checked into 17 in. tire sizes like I should and quickly realized my options were very limited and more expensive...At my TireRack wholesale guy's suggestion I went with the BFG's over the MTR's which were the only two I had to choose from. Next was the issue of the wheel spacing..I was not sure if the wheels I had were the same as the Tundra ones and would require either some wheel spacers or massive a-arm modification...Once I got the tires and wheels M&B I put my truck on the lift and test fit...saw right away i was going to contact the A-arm in front if I didnt space them out...Searched on YT and found the Marlin Crawler spacers, called them up and ordered the 1" ones (i had measured and figured this would work). Had to have them overnighted w/ Sat delivery (ouch $85) but I was impressed with the quality for the price of only $95/set.. I have used the 25mm H&R spacers many times for NSXes and the quality and build was almost identical as the Marlins but not at the $300+ price tag. So now my spending totals for the wheels and tires were goin up and up $200 oem wheels,$750 tires w/S&H, $275 for spacers w/S&H, $80 for Mount and Balance...thats over $1300 right there! For the less then that I could have had REALLY nice new 16" wheels (in the correct offset) of my choice with my first choice of tires 285-75-16 REVOS all M&B and ready to go..for much less at that! Oh well, all in all I still like it...the bling factor is cool, I like the look and the tires..but I get the good aesthetics at a price I guess.

The Install:
This is all coming from some one with tons of mechanical/fabrication experience, but no prior experience in working on my 4Runners suspension. I used a lift and air tools for the install. I worked all by myself and it took me about 5 hours total. Overall, it was not hard at all... I was surprised at how easy it was to figure out. Messy job though, and I was spoiled by using a lift..I can see how it would have sucked if I was on my garage floor. ***Notes /front: The easiest way I found to get the new assembly in and bolted up in the front was too..Un-bolt the 4 bolts on the lower ball joint, then use the stock bottle jack upside down between upper arm and fender well to expand the asembly enough for the new shock to bolt in place..then after that I used a tranny jack to compress the assembly back up to attach the 4 bolts back into lower ball joint assembly...When using the OME shocks up front make sure the lower spring cup faces up not down like on the OEM shock.
***Notes /back: Once I removed the back shocks and sway bar connects I just used a tranny jack to lower the rear axle assembly down far enough to get the stock coils out and new ones back in..this was easy!

Alignment: Did this on Monday, ride is awesome now..after alignment had to trim just a little of the front lower plastic valence.

My first driving impressions: I have only had it on the streets so far using it as a daily driver, but I am taking it on its first trip offroad this weekend... The handling and ride quality are WAAAAAY better then before. It corners better then before, and you can hardly tell the thing is lifted.. Does not ride harsh, is not noisy at all, and has great handling..So far I am more then impressed with the handling characteristics! Acceleration is a lot slower then before, of well time for a supercharger I guess.

Gas Mileage:Went from approx 18.5mpg to 16.1mpg

Rubbing: NONE! At least not so far...I will push it offroad and report any new rubbing if it occurs...

Resources:
-"THE Thread" https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&highlight=trd
-Andy (Bamachem) was a great help with his advice and numerous emails...and did an awesome job getting me my spacers and studs in time for my install.
-The Yotatech search button..the search is your friend!!

Thanks everyone for all the help! Hopefully this thread may help out any of those that are looking into doin this or a similar lift to your 3rd gen!

BEFORE:
AFTER:

Last edited by Carbonized; 02-19-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:59 PM

looks great...what do you figure was the total lift/height?

thanks
Old 02-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Those tires look killer! I want some so bad but they are so spendy for 16" rims. Like the wheels too.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by BOSTON4RUNNER
looks great...what do you figure was the total lift/height?

thanks
Actually I was so excited to get it all on, I didnt take any before measurements... I can tell though that it was at least 2.5 F&R... It was enough to get those big ass wheels and tires in there with no rubbing thats for sure...
Old 02-10-2005, 04:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! Thanks for the kudos and for the awesome pics... I just wish someone could snap some pics of the porcess to remove the strut, break it down, remove and install the studs in the top plate, reinstall the top plate on the new strut and coil, then show the spacer on top. That way, nobody would have any questions on how it goes together - :rolleyes:. I'll eventually do it, but I'm currently in an apartment and don't have anywhere to work.

Considering that your rig is a 96 and has probally sagged quite a bit (1" or so) over the last 8 years, I imagine that you got 2.5-3" over your old height. That should correlate to an even 2" over stock NEW height.

Oh, and I have more material on the way to my CNC-Router guy and the spacers (a double-order this time - 32 pairs) should be in my hands in about 10 days or so.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:29 AM
Banned

sweeet rig and nice write-up. im waiting for my stuff to come in..i cant wait. all i need is a NSX and we're twins!!