Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

PIAA fog light owners:

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIAA fog light owners:

Hi. I just added some general experiences I have had with my PIAA 520 fog lights and I'm inviting you, if you are interested, in adding some comments of your own into the record. Email me a picture or send me the link where it appears on the net, and include a paragraph or two of comments. I'll add it to my current review and we will both (or all three or four of us) be co-authors of the same PIAA fog light review. The whole enchilada will take up one extra big table on the Gear page. A multi-member review effort if you will.

Last edited by MRael; 06-04-2002 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you want a BIG NEGATIVE review of the PIAA 520's let me know.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Adam F
if you want a BIG NEGATIVE review of the PIAA 520's let me know.
Yes please. If you have a pic of after you smashed them to pieces with a baseball bat send that too! I'm serious: send me what you think.

OH: your website says you used driving lights, not fog lights, is that correct? I still want to hear what you think but let me know if thats right.

Last edited by MRael; 06-04-2002 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:03 PM

Can you wait untill tomorrow or Thursday? My rig is in the shop till then. I want to get a GOOD shot of the damage. Ill sum it up for you.

1) A little girl on a small bicycle hit one light with the corner of her handlebar at VERY low speed. It ripped the bracket off the light housing. Come to find out the ONLY thing holding the light to the housing is a flimsy rivet type peice of metal.

2) The lights just quit working on me one day. I unhooked stuff and took a meter to various parts. Found out that the relay was corroded and quit working. The connections are NO WHERE NEAR water proof. I woudlnt even call them water resistant.

3) I replaced the relay with a RadioShack part. Worked fine for a week or 2. Quit working. havent gotten around to making them work again.

4) The little white connectors on the lights themselves will not come apart. Me and my friend (Josh) struggled to get them apart. Unless there is some trick to it, they are FUSED together. I had to cut the wires to the lights in order to remove my bumper for my body lift.

4) The wires going into the back of the lights are sort of lying on my plastic grille. Well, the wires must get REALLY hot because they have melted grooves into my grille.

5) The light output SUCKS. The cheesy amber color is just plain useless. It distorts things. And I made the mistake of getting DRIVING lights instead of fog lights. I wanted to be able to light up a broad area around me, not a pencil beam hundreds of feat away. My fault though.

6) the switch SUCKS. It is lit green ALL THE TIME, no matter if you have it on or off. ANNOYING. Plus it is a stupid shape that sticks out akwardly, and the wire sticks out the side of the switch not the back, making it hard to route the wire and hide it.

6) THEY RETAIL FOR $300 OR SO! I PAID ONLY $200 BUT DAMN! RIP OFF

7) They suck

One good thing is their customer service is great. They provide replacement bulbs and support for the liights no questions asked.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:09 PM

Wow.. a little girl on a bicycle huh? Its a good thing her grandmother didnt bump the other light with her walker and destroy it also. I'm just kidding around sorry. Well you know, I want to post your findings ok? If you want me to wait for a picture then thats fine. If you want me to post what you just said in your last post then thats fine too. Let me know. It sounds like the PIAA's were POS's (in your case.)

Let me know if I should wait for a good pic--

M
Old 06-04-2002, 09:12 PM

The pic will DEFINETLY add punch to the story. Do what you gotta do. If you want you can add the text now and add the pic later? Sorry I dont have a pic of the little girl!
Old 06-04-2002, 09:16 PM

Sorry I dont have a pic of the little girl!
Yes well we'll have to send you around to her elementary school and get a signed statement from her tomorrow. Did she scrape any of her Barney decals in the incident, or were you the only one who suffered damage?

I'll post your comments as soon as you send a pic then. I'll be looking forward to it!
Old 06-05-2002, 04:08 AM

That is weird, because my lights seem extremely strong. I will give my opinion on the gear review. Thanks fellas! :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 06-05-2002, 05:23 AM

6) THEY RETAIL FOR $300 OR SO! I PAID ONLY $200 BUT DAMN! RIP OFF

7) They suck

One good thing is their customer service is great. They provide replacement bulbs and support for the liights no questions asked.
I thought you bought these lights from me. for $160

I personaly had fog lights for 1.5 years and realy liked them, output was good, and no electrical problem.

Of course i wantesd a litle wider and more powerful output but I think its a man nature to want to have more powerfull things than they alredy have.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

I have the 520 driving lights and love them. They replaced my KC Hilites. It's a shame you had such a hard time with them. I have not had any of the troubles you mentioned, but I will certain take a look to double check!
Old 06-05-2002, 06:06 AM

Yes Bratik I bought them from you. I couldnt remember exactly how much.

I bet you guys dont swamp your trucks do you? My whole engine bay gets covered in mud when I go off road. Thats probably why. Oh well. Im going to get some wally world specials to replace them!
Old 06-05-2002, 06:16 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Or you could get some Hella 500's Adam.
Thre is no metal on them except for the bolt that comes out the bottom to mount them.

And a water proof plug at the rear where the two wires come out of them.
Generaly less than $70 a set for them, and that includes the 30 amp relay too.
I have been very happy with my two sets.

The Hella 500 fogs are right around the same price and built the same, only the lens fluting is different for a fog type situation.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by Gene
I have the 520 driving lights and love them. They replaced my KC Hilites. It's a shame you had such a hard time with them. I have not had any of the troubles you mentioned, but I will certain take a look to double check!
Mine always dirty after each run

I just like to stop by power wash on the way home and get all the mud out of the engine bay area.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah it is much easier to get the mud off while it is still wet.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:10 AM

AdamF seemed to have problems from a-to-z with his PIAA's (or from 1 to 7 at least), but then it comes out they are part related to driving in swamps (wasnt there a popular expression a few months back, 'Got Swamp?') Anyway my point here is that maybe AdamF might have done a few things to weather/mud proof his light install before going into the brown. I'm not defending PIAA as much as I'm saying a guy needs to make certain mods if he wants to be in mud and water a lot. Dielectric grease can be applied, silicone can too.. also simple electricians tape. Making a condom for the relay might help. Etc.
None of that deals with Adams criticism of the basic strength issues, but I havent had any, so I dont know whats up with that. I live on a washboarded dirt road that shakes them up everyday, if that counts for anything. But no little girls on small bikes.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:20 PM

Yeah, you can do stuff to help protect it. I wrapped all my wires in that plastic wire loom stuff and it really seems to help. It keeps the wires away from the heat of the engine and all. You have to do things to help the situation and all. I have not had any problems w/ mine and the looks kill! :beaver:

-Ryan