YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   And a photo of my roof rack/ CB antenna (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/photo-my-roof-rack-cb-antenna-9035/)

Firefyter-Emt 04-11-2003 09:30 AM

And a photo of my roof rack/ CB antenna

Well I picked up a fair quaility magnetic mount antenna for my CB.. I really don't loke the Firestick on the roof, it is too "hard" and it stands out way too much.. It works good up front, but it is anoying and does look a little funny.. So I got this one..
Also, My 32" spare tire I scored for free yesterday is up there ready and waiting for me to bring it to a tire shop today to be mounted for tomorows run...

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/loaded-rack.jpg

Bob_98SR5 04-11-2003 09:32 AM

Lee,

Looks good. However, whats w/ all the clear zip ties on the rack for? Is this a fashion statement? :hillbill:

Bob

Firefyter-Emt 04-11-2003 09:46 AM

That is the CB cable.. I was going to run it thru the roof near the front leg, but under the front leg is my sunroof, So I had to go to at least the center between the feet, I just went to the rear foot so that you can not see it.. What I did was to remove the track, drill a mother of a big hole to run the CB fitting thru, and made a second one thru the track and silicolned the hole shut.. This way it is not in harms way and looks good (once I get rid of the wire ties, that is) And If I ever remove it, worst case seneriao, I go to the bone yard and buy another track off of an Areostar ( that is what is on there now) and you will never know the hole was under the track.. :D

Mad Chemist 04-11-2003 09:47 AM

Just a quick note on the magnetic mount antenna- I used one for my first run a couple weeks back, and a low branch knocked it off, dragged along the top of my roof and off the edge, leaving some wonderfully deep scratches that will not buff out. I just installed my fender-mounted Firestik last night as a result. Just an FYI for ya!

Firefyter-Emt 04-11-2003 09:53 AM

Yep, if it was not for the roof rack to keep it from being knocked over I would not of gone with one either.. With a fender mounted antenna, my truck would look funny (because of the snorkel)

I never see the roof, and it has a lot of sandmarks from when I sanded it to buff the roof and I didn't buff if long enough.. it died back on my and I really don't mine.. I never see it (although, I do see it a lot more with the new rack..)

Bob_98SR5 04-11-2003 09:58 AM

Ahhhh...ok. I didn't notice the cable running on the rack there. :D

Bob

Mad Chemist 04-11-2003 10:08 AM

You're right- the rack will help quite a bit. I now have justification to spend 500.00 to get a roof rack set up that will cover up those scratches!

Firefyter-Emt 04-11-2003 10:40 AM

Nawh... I spent only $135ish on the rack and bolted it to my existing Thule rack.. ( a kit to adapt it to a factory track can be had for about $50 or so..) No tracks?? Ford Explorer or Areostar tracks out of the junk yard.. (I have ones off an Areostar on mine... I like the Explorer better though, they have a lip on the outside edge just like the newer 3rd gen trucks (same track though...) I still think I am going to add a little 3-M clear stone tape to the upper center bar where the antenna will be smacking the rack..

prolax13 04-12-2003 10:33 AM

I recently purchases a SURCO roof rack just like that and Im looking for something that would mount my spare tire onto it. Does anyone know of a kit that would mount the stock spare tire onto a SURCO roof rack?

Dave

RTdawgs 04-12-2003 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
That is the CB cable..
get some black zip ties

Cebby 04-12-2003 12:48 PM

Originally posted by AllOtherNamesTakenSo
get some black zip ties
Lee, PM your address to me - I've got tons of black ties (and some RED ones too). I'll send you some of what ever color you want...

doink 04-12-2003 01:50 PM

Originally posted by prolax13
I recently purchases a SURCO roof rack just like that and Im looking for something that would mount my spare tire onto it. Does anyone know of a kit that would mount the stock spare tire onto a SURCO roof rack?

Dave

here is a place that sells them..i have never bought from here though....click here

redrunner 04-14-2003 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
I spent only $135ish on the rack...
Where did you find the rack for this price? the site doink listed had them for $212..

Also, how did you manage to score a free 32" AT tire?

Firefyter-Emt 04-14-2003 09:50 PM

I live in New England.. thereforth, I am a cheap ***** :D
You just have to keep an eye open, and the word out and be patient... I called this tire shop a few times, and on day (the day before a run..) he just had a woman who had some dry rot cracks on the side wall and wanted a pair of new tires.. there ia about 50% tread left...

The rack, I got off e-bay.. and I have found other deals just as good as posted here and there.. I just found one of the guys here a rack for under $100 shipped if I remember the price corectly.. (and it had the mount brackets..) Dang, for the life of me I can not remember the screen name of the person who bought the rack from the PBB :dunno: (Must be the old age getting to me..)

RobT2k 04-14-2003 10:12 PM

Originally posted by prolax13

Dave

Yeah just use a single bungee cord like in the first pic up top it should work wonderfully offroad. :hillbill:

Firefyter-Emt 04-15-2003 04:12 AM

Hey.. I used 2 bungee cords.. Plus, that photo was just the tire with no rim.. I had to bring it down to be mounted..

Now, I will admitt, I forgot to break out ther ratchet strap for the run, though.... and is was still held on with 2 bungee cords for the run last Saturday.. :laugh:

Mad Chemist 04-15-2003 07:56 AM

Is that Surco rack set up for mounting bike rails/kayak accessories on top (ie. is it strong enough?)?