Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Paint Matching Technical Advice Needed (California)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paint Matching Technical Advice Needed (California)

Hi,

I need advice on painting my fenders.

My truck:
97 4Runner 4x4 Limited
Factory Black with limited dark gray fenders (faded & peeling fenders)

My factory body paint is in excellent shape with great dark black color and good clearcoat intact.

I am planning to remove the limited fenders, have them painted and put them back on.

Since I live in CA this is apparently tricky. I talked with the guy who works on my truck (SD Truck Shop - sdtruckshop.com) and he explained that in late 2009 CA passed a law which limits the type of paint used by commercial businesses only to water based paint.

He says I will face two issues trying to match the fenders to the factory black:
1) color matching (if done right will match the factory 1997 coat to untrained eye)
2) Auto body shop will be using water based paint in accordance with CA's 2009 law. This type of paint doesn't last compared to traditional auto paint, it fades quicker and doesn't have the same look over time.

>> Also note that YES you can still buy factory and commercial over the counter oil based spray paint and paint it yourself in the backyard but if you want to get it professionally done at a body shop then they will be using water based paint as of late 2009 if you are in California.

I am still talking with him and now trying to figure out what is the best option. Should I just go with the water based black and hope it lasts? Should I drive 3 hours to AZ and get it painted there?

I am looking at these prices:
1) $80 to have all fenders removed and put back on professionally with a new gasket.
2) $150-200 painting costs

This is a pic of what I want:
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1811/dscf5332.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please let me know. Thanks!

-Brian
Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
To accomplish a real 'match' you will need to blend the flare and the panel, which is more money. Even if you had the factory paint to use, it would not match if you just painted the flares. Paint of any type fades from the UV rays, even if slightly, it will be enough to see the difference.
Suggestion:
Paint them flat black or different color. Don't try to match your black truck, you will never be happy.

Now if you have the time and money, have the painter paint the flares and blend the fenders and doors, that will make it look factory.

As for the water based stuff, i don't know. Maybe send it to another state to get done right. Caulifornia EPA is really out of control.

good luck
Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 AM

Thanks for response.

I just called a 3rd paint place and they said the CA law / water vs oil isn't much of an issue as I was told because the ClearCoat will protect it. Whether or not it protects as well against fading, I have no idea.

I guess I need to figure out a good 2nd tone. I can stick with the factory grey or go with a slightly darker grey tone.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would think black would be one of the easier colors to match without blending. Sure they have a gazillion different black paint codes, but it's not like a metallic or a lighter color that could be just a bit off and be noticeable. A good shop should spray test panels with alternate mixes and compare to your vehicle to make sure it matches closely. Honestly, I don't see how it could be so far off that it doesn't match unless the shop has idiots mixing the paint, and the work should be guaranteed so if it doesn't look right they should make it right. I have not heard of any differences in quality between waterborne and the old urethanes so I can't comment on that.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 PM

Hmm. I am still torn on whether or not I should go for the matched gloss black or chicken out and go with the factory. What I am worried about is if the black doesn't match correctly.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 PM

As a professional painter in sacramento that uses water based paint everyday, youl be fine black is by far the easiest to match. you wont be able to tell a difference other than the "shine". and as a matter of fact i painted my 97 limited flares and cladding black from the old faded charcoal. it looks good on my truck. plus most reputable shops have a liftime warranty on paint work...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 PM

@008keith - thanks for the advice, now I want to get it matched.

Can you post pics of the paint job / matched fenders?

Also, would you advise on how to match the paint / did you just use the dealer paint code based on the VIN in the door?

Thanks
Brian
Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 PM

matching and where to buy factory paint ,decals,seals

Does any one know where I can buy or how and how hard it is to match factory white or creme. Would also like to know where I can find factory decals and door and window seals.