YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Novice needing engine help (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/novice-needing-engine-help-17959/)

Capt' B 09-23-2003 09:10 AM

Novice needing engine help

For the first time I am doing major engine work on my 85 p/u with the 22R. I need to replace a head gasket. but have run into a snag. I CANNOT GET THE INTAKE MANIFOLD OFF! According to the manual it should come free but is very firmly attached. I have removed 13 bolts (manual says 8) but it is still firmly attached. What am I overlooking? Any help is greatly appreciated as I do not have the $'s to take it to a pro. Thanks

PhxTRDRunner 09-23-2003 09:15 AM

I've never worked on a 22re, but I know that the rear bracing on intake manifolds can be a real PITA...look for that. And what ever you do, DO NOT force it, they break easy.

Reed23 09-23-2003 09:19 AM

22r engine

Just to make sure, did you remove all the wires and fuel lines going to it? That was one problem I ran into.

r854rnr 09-23-2003 12:08 PM

any kind of EGR on those? I often forget to remove my egr pipes before I remove the intake, but I have a 22re.

TOR 09-23-2003 12:21 PM

Intake manifold removal

After speaking with one of the technicians here at Toyota, he says there is a support bar up underneath that thing. He said even after removing all the NUTS he said you can be pulling on the manifold and it won't come off until that is removed. Hope that helps.

Todd :nerd:

growinseed 09-23-2003 12:50 PM

When I pulled the intake on my 22R, I thought I had all the bolts but had missed one or two. Half the AIR system is located under the intake and is held to the block with the same size bolts as the intake. Above this system is where i missed the bolt. It is a PITA to locate I think I used a 12" extension and a swivel to get a wrench on the bolt once i found it. Feel around on the bottom edge of the intake make sure you haven't misses anything. I do remember there is an even number of bolts when you have the intake and AIR system taken apart. Also the EGR system is attached to the head and the intake. Once you get the inktake off it will be much clearer. There are only 8 bolts holding the intake on, so you might have missed one and have started to unbolt other components. You'll figure it out, just don't force anything. Also there is a hose form the water pump to the bottom of the intake. This could be preventing removal. After I was sure I had all the bolts off. I do remember tapping the intake with a rubber mallet.

Good luck and happy wrenching

Nathan

Toyo22R-E 09-23-2003 07:00 PM

Are you wrenching on a Carb or EFI version of the 22R? I generally leave the intake attached to the head and remove it all together. I realize of course, that you are now commited to separating the intake but it is much easier done while the head is on the bench. I believe there is one hex fastener on that intake, near the t-stat housing. Don't forget to remove the 12mm bolt at the very front of the head that lives under the distrubutor drive gear. It will be covered with oil. Remove it before you take the rest of the head bolts loose. Good luck and let me know if you need any torque specs, etc. :drunk:

Capt' B 09-27-2003 11:59 AM

Thanks to all who offered advice. As per the advice of Toyo 22R E, I have indeed found a hex bolt near the thermostat. However, my Hex wrench starts to bend before the bolt loosens. I do not want to round off the bolt , so what next?

Reed23 09-27-2003 01:33 PM

Unfortunately mine did the same thing, so I wound up taking a apir of vice grips to it and replaced it with a tempered bolt from a hardware store, so far (8k miles) its been holding up fine.

Reed

Toyo22R-E 09-28-2003 07:45 AM

I always use a hex socket and ratchet on that one. Generally speaking, they are not on that tight. Are you using an allen wrench, by chance? I recommend using a hex socket (I can't remember the exact size). Get the right tool BEFORE you ruin the fastener (and your day) ;) Hope this helps.

TOR 09-29-2003 04:53 AM

Hex Bolt

Find somebody that has an impact tool to take it off. Those are great for beginng the bolt.

Todd