Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

not your ordinary optima yellow top questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not your ordinary optima yellow top questions

I ordered my Yellow top, should be her Saturday. I've been reading old posts about the fit of the battery (using spacers, extending cables, etc).

1) I read that the optima spacer is too tall. True? How much is the Optima spacer anyways?

2)I read some people are using scrap plywood cut to fit instead - is this sufficient?

3)I got a yellow top with top and side posts. I'm hoping I can use both sets of posts simultaneously. Can I?

4)Assuming yes to #3, what's the best way to hook into the side posts? Will it be obvious when I get the battery? I'd like to use the top post for the power/ground leads, and the side posts for my stereo/aux light connections.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Not sure.

2. Yeah, lots of people use plywood instead of the spacer.

3. Yes, no problem there.

4. That's how I have mine. I don't have an Optima, but I have the top and side posts. I use the top for regular connections and to power the aux fuse box. I use the sides for my amp connection and the connections to my headlight wiring harness. No problems.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Re: not your ordinary optima yellow top questions

Originally posted by jacksonpt
I ordered my Yellow top, should be her Saturday. I've been reading old posts about the fit of the battery (using spacers, extending cables, etc).

1) I read that the optima spacer is too tall. True? How much is the Optima spacer anyways?

2)I read some people are using scrap plywood cut to fit instead - is this sufficient?

3)I got a yellow top with top and side posts. I'm hoping I can use both sets of posts simultaneously. Can I?

4)Assuming yes to #3, what's the best way to hook into the side posts? Will it be obvious when I get the battery? I'd like to use the top post for the power/ground leads, and the side posts for my stereo/aux light connections.
1. The optima spacer is too tall if you want to use the stock mounting bracket without any modifications.

2. Works for me.

3. It would be tough to use the side posts because it's pretty tight, but maybe you could figure something out.

4. Any battery place should have the screw-in connectors. I just use the top post for accessories and send one wire to an auxillary fuse box (like corey's). That really cleans up the wiring and makes it easier to add new accessories.

Enjoy the yellow-top!
Old 09-18-2003, 06:49 AM

Assuming there's clearance... what would stop me from reversing the battery (so the side terminals were in the back, not the front) and using the side terminal for the stock power/ground leads and the top terminals for my accessories? I probably wouldn't have to extend the cables if I used the side terminals.

Just a thought.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jacksonpt
Assuming there's clearance... what would stop me from reversing the battery (so the side terminals were in the back, not the front) and using the side terminal for the stock power/ground leads and the top terminals for my accessories? I probably wouldn't have to extend the cables if I used the side terminals.

Just a thought.
Where there's a will there's a way. That should work fine as long as you got all the cables to reach. My only question is why make it more complicated than it needs to be? The quickest and easiest way would be to just get a positive extension and use the top posts.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:21 PM

Judging by the fact that Optima says to always use top posts for high amperage accessories... I'm guessing you probably wouldn't want to use the side posts for starting. Just a guess.

Optima Tips
Old 09-18-2003, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

I have a red top...but I have a couple questions.

For example: I could run my fans off the side posts, and all my other connections off the top posts with no ill side effects?

Battery charging, etc. will still be normal?

Someone mentioned an aux fuse box...is that really necessary or is it just to aid in convenience and safety?
Old 09-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

If you do the plywood method, make sure its TIGHT and secure! I swear i cranked mine down pretty hard, but it came loose after a wheeling trip. Anyway, Positive terminal wound up in contact with the mounting clamp -> CB coax, THANK GOD, took all the power as my stereo would have been toast...BUT it melted everything from the mount on my ARB to the CB radio inside -> CB radio when up in smoke -> carpet fire

Anyway, just make sure you cant knock it loose from any angle and the plywood isnt going anywhere.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by <96 Runner>
IBattery charging, etc. will still be normal?

Someone mentioned an aux fuse box...is that really necessary or is it just to aid in convenience and safety?
The posts are run in parallel, so the alternator sees it as only one positive post and one negative post... not two different loads.

The aux fuse box is purely for convenience to get rid of clutter around the battery. I don't know how much more safe it is, but I like mine. Just run a 10 or 8 gauge wire to power it and you'll be fine.