YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   newb: Wheel Question (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/newb-wheel-question-5762/)

Bobful 01-26-2003 09:03 PM

newb: Wheel Question

I just bought my forst Toyota (93 4x4)! I am new to the list, so please bear with me if this question has been asked already.

Will stock wheels from a 99 Tacoma fit on my 93 4x4? My brother upgraded his wheels and I thought his stock wheels might work on my truck. I think the bolt pattern is the same, but what about the offset?

Second question: I hear a ticking from the engine through all gears and through the whole power band. Is this just wear on the engine or is something wrong? It sounds like the valves or lifters are ticking? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any and all help. I am impressed that the truck still rides and drives as well as it does for its age.

-Robert

Mattimus 01-26-2003 09:05 PM

Question 1: not sure.

Question 2: Most likely your lifters, but it could be a number of things. I would suggest having it looked at by a shop, or possibly getting the engine rebuilt. IMO

Corey 01-26-2003 09:29 PM

Hello Robert, and welcome to YotaTech.
Your truck is barely getting broken in.

I bought a '90 22RE 4x4 Extended cab new, and in Oct. of '98 it died saving me :)
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/pics0.jpg

It had 110K on it and ran like it was just bought, and still on the stock clutch too, and I use to pull a tent trailer with it all the time.

The ticking you hear more than likely is your fuel injectors.
Toyota's are notorious for loud ones, and I remember my 22REs injectors were noisier than the V6 in my 4Runner I have now.

Do you have the 22RE or the 3.0?
If you have the 22RE, it could be time to get the timing chain done, and that could also produce a bit of noise.

If it breaks, it can do damage as the 22RE is an "interference" type engine.
The V6 uses a timing belt and if it breaks, the engine stops and doesn't do that damage as it's a "non interference" engine.

I'd try mounting on one of his rims and see how it looks on there to see if it will clear your calipers when you turn the wheel to lock in each direction.

Bobful 01-27-2003 05:17 AM

thanks Corey!! I will investigate what it costs to do a new timing chain. I guess after 122000 miles, it would be worth it. I have the 22RE . I wonder what chnaging the chain might cost me.

Wow, what a pict! I am happy to hear you made out okay. I was a little skeptical about a toyota truck, but since joining this forum I am starting to think I made a great choice.

-Robert

Corey 01-27-2003 06:18 AM

Hi Robert, thanks.
When the drunk no license, no insurance person hit me :), they were going about 45 and T boned me.
I saw it at the last second and tried to speed up, but not fast enough.

I was hit at the rear passenger area. If I had not sped up, they would have came in my front door.

I spun around 180 degrees and the drive shaft blew off.
It was like being in a dream and like it was not really happening to me.

And to tell you the truth, I hardly even felt the impact.
The Toyota really did give up it's life for me :cry2:

On that chain thing, most of them should be done at around 100K.
Check with the folk's on here as to what type to get.
There are a few companies that make steel chain guides to put back in instead of using the Toyota nylon guides.

Corey

Brown 01-27-2003 07:01 AM

Hi Robert-- welcome to the board. I'm new here, too-- but have the same engine and problems you are hearing.

It could be a number of things that have already been mentioned: fuel injectors "ticking", or timing chain. The sound from the timing chain would more than likely be off and on, because it's probably the timing chain guides that are broken and slapping into the chain. Like Corey mentioned, the OEM guides are some kind of plastic, and break very easily. (Mine are broken right now). Steel backed guides from DOA Racing would be a good replacement-- that's what I'm going to when I replace my timing chain.

The other option for the noise could just be your valvetrain. The clearance between the valve head and rocker arm could just be too great after a lot of wear. It may need to be adjusted back down. To stock specs. I’ve done mine twice on my 22RE with 120K miles on it, and I still have a lot of valvetrain sound. The first time I adjusted it, the sound went away for a month, and then came back. I did it again, and the same thing happened. I’m thinking of going just a hair tighter than stock to see if it takes it away for good. I’ve read elsewhere where guys have done this, and it worked. Just haven’t had a chance to see if it would work on my engine. I’ve pretty much isolated the sound on my engine, and if you figure out that it is in fact the valvetrain on yours, then here’s some instructions I copied from another board on how to adjust the valve clearance:

Starting with #1 cylinder @ TDC, set 1&2 intake,1&3 exhaust, rotate the lower pulley 360*, set 3&4 intake, 2&4 exhaust. Stock cams are written to be set at .008” int & .012” exh, but will respond better at .010” for both int. & exhaust.
In other words:
Here's how the book says to do it:
*intake valve lash: .008"; .203mm
*exhaust valve lash: .012"; .305mm
1. Rotate engine to TDC of compression stroke on cylinder #1
2. Adjust both valves on #1, the intake on #2, and the exhaust on #3
3. Rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees
4. Adjust the remaining valves...exhaust on #2, intake on #3, both on #4
5. Put all your stuff on and away you go!

Hope that helps, Robert.

Victor 01-27-2003 04:31 PM

The wheels will work. They have the same 6 on 5.5" pattern and same 4.75" offset that your current wheels have. If you have ADD then the center caps will clear if they are the tri-spoke style (Tacoma/4Runner stock). If they are the 5 spoke Limited/sport style (which is what I want) the center caps will not fit on the front wheels with stock ADD. Since I want to install manual hubs I would just drill openings into the stock caps but perhaps the center caps from a Tacoma with manual hubs might work. If you don't want to go without the center caps in the front and like your ADD then you will need spacers between the Limited/sport wheels and hub. At this point since I don't have those wheels to experiment with I have no idea what the minimum amount of spacer needed is although common sizes I've seen are 3/4 inch and 1 and 1/4. Hope some of this helps.

Mossback74 01-27-2003 04:33 PM

I've been hearing a faint, non regular, kinda rattle-clank-knock. You know the type. I was thinkin timing. Its on a 94 3.0 V6. No chain here, any other guesses?

Victor 01-27-2003 05:41 PM

Are you sure what you are hearing aren't the noisy injectors? Just a thought - is it constant, even at a stop light?

Other things that could cause noise - no grease onthe steering stops, bad CV joints, front bearings... Need more info as to the sound and frequency of the noise.

3.4v6 02-05-2004 07:17 PM

can anyone tell me the bolt pattern for a 2001 Tacoma PreRunner? im thinking about getting some new wheels. thanks

Mossback74 02-05-2004 10:15 PM

Giggidy Google

Take a look here for the path to enlightenment

3.4v6 02-06-2004 08:02 AM

thanks Mossback74 but the tacoma section they have on there only goes until 97, unless 97 and 2001 patterns are the same?

Mossback74 02-06-2004 08:15 PM

I'm pretty sure they are the same. As far as I know all 6 lug toyota/lexus' are the same bolt pattern. I like the wheels off a Lexus 450