YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   New member and new 4Runner owner sez howdy (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/new-member-new-4runner-owner-sez-howdy-15269/)

Ant 08-05-2003 05:06 PM

New member and new 4Runner owner sez howdy

Howdy.

After driving by beloved 1988 4Runner for 15 trouble free years (try this with one of the big 3) I felt the urge for change. Last weekend I scored a 2003 and to say I'm overjoyed is an understatement!
http://home.pacbell.net/riffer/4run5.JPG

Now for a silly question that will surely cause a few snickers: I wanna keep those parts greased and ready soooooooo how do I engage the 4wd for use on dry pavement for a coupla miles per month? Just click the center diff switch and throw it in 4 high? This new fangled push button techy stuff is gonna take some getting used to but this new rig gives me a nail pounding boner.

Paul H. 08-05-2003 05:13 PM

Welcome to the best forum around Ant. Congrats on your new ride. Not sure how to engage 4H in the new ones. Did you check the owners manual? I hate pushbutton 4wd. I'd much rather have a shifter.

Ant 08-05-2003 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Paul H.
Welcome to the best forum around Ant. Congrats on your new ride. Not sure how to engage 4H in the new ones. Did you check the owners manual? I hate pushbutton 4wd. I'd much rather have a shifter.
Thanks Paul. I miss the shifter and didn't mind locking the hubs with my hands so I gotta deal with the new world of push button everything. At least it doesn't have a remote and a built in cappucino maker. The owner's manual has tooooooooo much info and damn near put me to sleep.

AznSky 08-05-2003 05:26 PM

wow that looks really sweet. I don't know much about the 4th gens either, but I did have one as a rental car for the whole day, and boy was is awesome. Yes I believe the 4wd is just push buttons, do you have auto 4wd as well? or just a 4-hi and 4-low button?

Welcome!!!:drink:

Ant 08-05-2003 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
wow that looks really sweet. I don't know much about the 4th gens either, but I did have one as a rental car for the whole day, and boy was is awesome. Yes I believe the 4wd is just push buttons, do you have auto 4wd as well? or just a 4-hi and 4-low button?

Welcome!!!:drink:

On the left side of the dash there's the button to lock the diff, on the right side is the dial: H2 - H4 - L4

Hmm, this is starting to make sense. Lock the diff and put it in H2 for dry pavement speeds?

momo.75 08-05-2003 07:01 PM

Welcome! If I wasn't so set on Black I wanted to get the Silver as well. This makes my fourth Black vehicle in a row. I knew if I got the Silver I wouldregret not getting the Black again. I am not regretting passing on the Silver, but it really looks good. Good choice!!:bigok:

FirstToy 08-05-2003 09:59 PM

Just turn the silver dial to "4H". Don't lock the center diff. If you lock the center diff, the "VSC off" light will flash in your dash.
I think locking the center diff is only for off road or loose traction situations. If you do it on the pavement, you crab and stress the components.

If you can bear it, there is a decent section in the manual describing how to use the system and for what surface- it's only 1or 2 pages so even someone with ADD like me can skim through without falling asleep;)

Nam 08-05-2003 10:11 PM

Welcome Ant, your ride is awsome! stay and have fun with us. This is so far the best site for 4runner out there!

Cheers!

Nam

02Runner 08-06-2003 04:49 AM

Congrats, I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with the new Runner. Now just don't be afraid to get it dirty..:laugh: Did you trade your 88 or sell it outright? Those have always been my favorite model.

On my 03, It is full time 4wd, I'm not sure if thats the case with all 4WD models now, but I believe it is. Better wait for some of the others to ring in, I know they have different models than I do.
BTW mines a Sport V-8, FYI.

SLC Punk 08-06-2003 05:10 AM

congrats on your new ride! :cool:
Any mod plans?

sabre 08-06-2003 05:52 AM

Sweet ride...silver rocks.... :bigok:

4RunnerFever 08-06-2003 05:59 AM

V8's 4runners are in permanent 'all wheel drive'.

The V6 4Runners can be in 'all wheel drive' all the time if you want them to be. This is what Toyota calls 'multi-mode' 4WD.

That is the H4 setting. This is a good setting for rain and light snow.

H2 would really be for serious off-road stuff.

Ant - your runner is awesome!!! Congratulations!!:bounce:

Ant 08-06-2003 06:09 AM

Thanks all for the replies :)

Ant 08-06-2003 06:12 AM

Originally posted by SLC Punk
congrats on your new ride! :cool:
Any mod plans?

Thinking about a Flowmaster exhaust for now. I'm sure this forum will be giving me ideas!

4RunnerFever 08-06-2003 06:13 AM

This forum will empty your accounts faster than you can say ARB :)

Still, great fun.

M1911 08-06-2003 06:23 AM

H2 would really be for serious off-road stuff.
??? Isn't H2 for two-wheel-drive high?

Woodbert 08-06-2003 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Ant
Thinking about a Flowmaster exhaust for now. I'm sure this forum will be giving me ideas!
Ant- Welcome! Get your checkbook ready for this board:pat:

I got the TRD Cat-Back exhaust about a month ago. Mine is a JDM but it is the best mod I've done so far. More power and acceleration.:bounce: I'm also waiting for some Dueler A/T Revo tires to come.

BTW- DO NOT lock the center diff unless your off-road and need it.

4x4CPOSEADOG 08-06-2003 11:00 AM

Posted by M1911
??? Isn't H2 for two-wheel-drive high?
Yes, H2 is for two wheel drive only. He probably meant L2, this is when you're really stock in deep rut, sand, mud, or snow. Hope this helps.

Hey Ant,

Nice rig. Just like what others said, get your wallet ready. Make sure you have a fat bank account cuz it will drain fast when you hang around this forum! Welcome to Yotatech!!!

Noel

Cebby 08-06-2003 10:49 PM

Welcome Ant! Nice ride! The 4G's have really grown on me - sure like yours.

anondrao 08-07-2003 12:39 AM

right on... welcome.

how's the visibility in that thing? the windows look awefully small.

Or the truck might just be bigger... :hillbill: