Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New-to-me 1998 4Runner - couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New-to-me 1998 4Runner - couple questions

Hey all, just bought a 1998 4Runner 3.4 Limited with 251k. This is my 4th 4Runner after a long hiatus, and my first 3rd gen. I am very excited! (others were: 89, 85, and 95)

There's definitely some loving to be done with it (quite a few issues).

My eyes feel like they are going to start bleeding if I search any longer tonight, and I wanted to solicit advice for my most pressing concerns. I really appreciate it!

Biggest issue:

Clunking noise sounds like it is coming from transfer case only until 10mph. After that it seems to magically go away. I think this has to do with the 4wd not engaging properly, and thus possibly not disengaging either. I can click my 4wd button, and the light might come on. Usually not, though I can hear the transfer case engage on the first try, on start up. On a grassy hill, I can not get it to go into 4H. And only once into 4L did I get it to engage.

My thoughts tomorrow are to check the vacuum lines to the ADD, as well as the solenoids. But that seems like it could solve the 4wd engaging, but not the noise in my transfer case. Could it be a problem with the electric motor engaging the transfer case?

2nd concern:

My idle fluctuates from 900-1500 when in Drive or Reverse, but idles great at 1100 in Park or Neutral. My thoughts are Mass Air Flow or O2 sensor. But I don't want to just pay to swap parts and be naive to some troubleshooting for this issue.

Final concern at the moment:

What is that wire going to that is all screwed up in my attachment? That is on top of the engine. I haven't yet purchased a Chilton's and I'd appreciate someone sharing their knowledge here.

Thank you all so much for your help! Retiring these tired eyes for the night.
Attached Thumbnails New-to-me 1998 4Runner - couple questions-wp_20140703_001.jpg  
Old 07-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Clunking- Likely a failing 4WD shift motor, which is stuck partially in/out of engagement.

Idle- COuld be lots of things

Wires- Only two things go down under the front like that. Knock sensor, and a temp sensor. I am assuming no codes? Or is your check engine light bulb even still there? People will take the bulb out when selling the vehicle, and most buyers never even think to check.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle and wires are connected I believe. Throwing code for engine coolant temp sensor, and that is definitely where those wires are going. Just need to get to the wrecking yard and find the short bit of wire to replace. It's only about 6 inches long and connects from the sensor to the harness - that's what I have that is shredded.

I just started following this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/4...er-ltd-131201/

And it seems like this might be a common sensor problem for the 4wd not engaging/disengaging properly. Something tells me you are right though, that it might be a motor. I am replacing the front diff sensor tomorrow, and will have the 27mm socket to check the others on the transfer case at that point. Hopefully that solves it. If not, it may be the motor or actuator on the transfer case. Do you know if that electric motor swaps pretty easily? Or would I need to tear into the TC?