Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New clutch-will bump start but won't crank

Old 07-01-2012, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New clutch-will bump start but won't crank

I installed a new clutch in my brother in laws 97 2.7 Tacoma truck yesterday and everything seemed to go just fine until we tried to start the truck. When we attempt to start the truck the starter makes one click. We can feel it click in the aperture each time we hit the key.

The truck will roll start extremely easily and drives perfectly through all gears once it is bumped. I also tried hitting the key while it was running to see if the starter actually spins and it did but as soon as it did it cut the truck off.

I have tried using the clutch override switch instead of the pedal so I think that rules out the clutch switch. I have also measured voltage at the battery and at the starter itself and I have 12.9 volts at both places. I also tried jumping the truck with a known good battery just to make sure it wasn't a bad connection. I also pulled the starter and spun the gear just to make sure it wasn't bound up. Still no go. I also pulled the wire on the side of the starter and made sure it was not rusty and was making a good connection on the starter bolt. And yes, I've tried beating on it with a breaker bar while trying to crank it. At this point I am completely out of ideas other than the starter just being shot.

Do starters really just go out all of a sudden like that? I have never had one that didn't give me trouble at some point. Is there something else that I am missing? Did something in the clutch install cause this or is it just coincidental?

My brother in law needs to get to work tomorrow 3 hours away and I really would like to get him straight today. I think we will go by a starter just to try it but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it sounds like the contacts are dirty, i would pull the starter and pull it apart, clean the contacts and then using jumper cables connect them to the starter and then hit the spot where the little wire goes with 12v. see it the tooth on the starter comes out and if it spins, if not then u have a bad starter, i have seen them just go and also seen them give fits for months or years before they just stop. also when u have it off u might want to look and see if anything might be in line of the starter coming out and blocking it from hitting the flywheel and not allowing it to turn it over. good luck.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:34 AM

Thank you. I'm going to pick up a starter and replace it if I can figure out how to get the dang thing out of the engine bay. Also if the starter were hung on the flywheel in some way wouldn't bumping it and driving it around cure that?

Also, if the starter were bad why would it still spin if I crank the key while the truck is running. Doesn't that indicate it working? Also, when it did grind like that it immediately killed power to the truck and it cut off.

Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited by jeopardy98; 07-01-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it might spin but the actuator might not be pushing the gear out to let it hit the flywheel,
Old 07-01-2012, 03:43 PM

Just to update in case anyone runs across this, I put in the new starter and it fired right up. Also for anyone having trouble with the starter removal I took it all out from the bottom. Once removed I tilted the gear part down and then slid it out between the transmission and driver side where there is a hole. You will have to remove the slave from the tranny but you can leave it hooked up to the line.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:34 PM

I'm having the same problem with my 85 SR5. I replaced clutch and flywheel and it will not even turn over. The flywheel did turn while removing old one, but i do no think that would stop it from turning over would it? Starter is new out of box.