YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Need a hand with my ABS light being on, Anyone? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/need-hand-my-abs-light-being-anyone-142539/)

YodaPala 04-11-2008 05:44 PM

Need a hand with my ABS light being on, Anyone?

My ABS light comes on and off from time to time. What is the best way to start diagnosing this problem? Its a 1999 4Runner with a six banger 5 speed. Anyone's help would greatly appreciated, Thanks!!!:dunno:

Noltz 04-11-2008 06:33 PM

To diagnose this efficiently, you'll need a OBD scanner with data streaming capibilities. You can then watch the wheel speeds as seen by the ABS/TRAC ECU. In all likelihood one of your sensors is wayward, or there's rust building underneath a sensor interrupting it's signal.

A zero-dollar approach would be to remove and clean all the wheel speed sensor mounting points. It may be that simple.

YodaPala 04-11-2008 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Noltz (Post 50803697)
To diagnose this efficiently, you'll need a OBD scanner with data streaming capibilities. You can then watch the wheel speeds as seen by the ABS/TRAC ECU. In all likelihood one of your sensors is wayward, or there's rust building underneath a sensor interrupting it's signal.

A zero-dollar approach would be to remove and clean all the wheel speed sensor mounting points. It may be that simple.

Thanks bro.

YodaPala 04-12-2008 04:22 PM

B U M p

Dare44 04-12-2008 04:37 PM

pull the wires out of the back out the light, or smash the bulb :jk:

mikes19984x4 04-12-2008 04:57 PM

well speak of the devil...mine just came on the other day. i had a free carwash coupon, so i went and used it and like a mile away from the wash, my ABS light comes on...but then it went off about 3 miles later...

Doublewid3 04-12-2008 05:02 PM

Do what i did (i didnt do it by choice tough ball joints broke taken out my ABS sensor) cut the sensor off. Wheeling is so much more fun when you can slide and when you have FULL stopping power. No computer to tell me im too hard on the breaks. Breaks act differnt more firm and when you need to STOP you STOP w/o ABS. I personaly liked the Gen2 when the 4WD stopped the ABS, ABS is for on road NOT off. I can control my runner alot better when things get bumpey now the ABS aint controling my stopping.

mikes19984x4 04-12-2008 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Doublewid3 (Post 50804272)
Do what i did (i didnt do it by choice tough ball joints broke taken out my ABS sensor) cut the sensor off. Wheeling is so much more fun when you can slide and when you have FULL stopping power. No computer to tell me im too hard on the breaks. Breaks act differnt more firm and when you need to STOP you STOP w/o ABS. I personaly liked the Gen2 when the 4WD stopped the ABS, ABS is for on road NOT off. I can control my runner alot better when things get bumpey now the ABS aint controling my stopping.

if that's what you're after, just remove the abs fuse...does the same thing

YodaPala 04-12-2008 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Doublewid3 (Post 50804272)

Yeah, but what about daily driving on the street? Its nice when the abs saves your butt when you are about to rearend some one then whew!!!Abs saves your ass, this is a good feeling, keeps insurance premiums to a minium. I do get what you are saying when wheeling, mine kicks in too and kinda makes it difficult to control, but there is always that e=brake lever when you need it and the abs cant say crap about it!!! LOL!!!!

mpavolka 04-12-2008 08:40 PM

If you go in the mud alot dirt and water will hit those sensors, snow also will set them off pretty quick. I know on general motors cars if the wheel bearings are loose at all it trips the lights, might be something to check.