YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   My 3 1/2 INCH sway bars (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/my-3-1-2-inch-sway-bars-8575/)

slick858 04-01-2003 12:48 PM

My 3 1/2 INCH sway bars

I just wanted to tell you all I have 3 1/2 inch sways on the front and 2 1/2 inch on the rear , just wanted to know the Exact dimmensions of ppls aftermarket OR custom SWAY bars, just curious

Brown 04-01-2003 01:11 PM

Is that 3-1/2 inches in circumference?:roll:

Because I don't believe that you have a 3-1/2 inch diameter sway bar up front.
:pat:

As for me, I have a zero diameter swaybar-- my real one is in the storage closet where it belongs.

Victor 04-01-2003 01:38 PM

:D Wow. I was surprised to see the title of this one. I had images of a 4Runner racing side by side with formula 1 cars in the turns and racecars bouncing off the sliders. Images of racecars ending up in the grass. . . :D

Firefyter-Emt 04-01-2003 03:30 PM

Yea really... that is way too big for a sway bar! They should be about 18-22mm

FattyCBR 04-01-2003 04:25 PM

I'm looking for sways, where did you get them from and how much? Also any pics?

Mudd Runna 04-01-2003 04:39 PM

Importance of Sway bars....

Are they really that important? Don't think me stupid for asking this one...Just curious and learning....

Los Gatos? 04-01-2003 05:00 PM

Re: Importance of Sway bars....

Originally posted by Mudd Runna
Are they really that important? Don't think me stupid for asking this one...Just curious and learning....
swaybars reduce body sway in turns, but also limit suspension travel...unless you have swaybar disconnects, or disconnect manually.

Shane 04-01-2003 05:12 PM

swaybar?!? what's that? :hillbill:

Mudd Runna 04-01-2003 05:19 PM

So I can go outside tommorrow and take mine off and it won't affect my truck in anyway except I'll see more body roll in turns but see more wheel travel?

Bumpin' Yota 04-02-2003 06:17 AM

So I can go outside tommorrow and take mine off and it won't affect my truck in anyway except I'll see more body roll in turns but see more wheel travel?

yes, but there is also an increased possibility for the truck to roll over during hard cornering....:( Also if you have a blowout at high speed the sway bar will help you maintain control of the vehicle. Do a search for swaybar's as there's been a LOT of info on that topic. :)

Steve

Brown 04-02-2003 11:09 AM

A lot of people disconnect their sway bar when they go off road-- and the newer 4runners have them front and back. For our generation of trucks, Mudd Runna, the difference between having a sway bar and not having a sway bar is relatively small in on-road situations. I will say my truck doesn't have as solid of a feel in cornering situations, but the difference is very predictable, and if you know your truck's limits and know how it will react in a given situation, then you should be fine with removing the swaybar. Some things to consider though:

Me: I have no lift, only tires.

You: You have a lot of lift and bigger tires, therefore your roll center is much higher. Your 4runner is also heavier than my truck. These factors may be enough to where the truck is way too uneasy in cornering situations.

If you do decided to do it, I would just disconnect the end links first, then drive around for awhile to see what it feels like. If you know your vehicle well, and it feels about the same, then go for it.
It will save time in having to disconnect it before going off-road. But if the handling changes drastically in normal situations, then it could be a disaster in emergency maneuvers.

Off-road it has made quite a difference for me. And I won't be putting it back on until I lift or have bigger tires. Even then I will have to see. Those torsion bars are stiff! They should be considered anti-sway bars in themselves!:eeek:

Let me add something else in reply to the original post. The only company that I knew of before that made aftermarket sway bars was Addco. I'm sure there are others, but I don't know who they are. I know Addco does make bars for Toyota applications. They might be a good one to check into if you are really interested in higher performance sway bars. I know not everyone wheels their vehicles-- they would rather have better handling on the road. I used to have a 2wd Toyota that was lowered and had stiffer shocks. :barf: I never got around to adding a thicker swaybar up front, but the thing was pretty fun to drive as it was, but stiff as all get out! Still makes my lower back hurt just thinking about it.

slick858 04-02-2003 01:43 PM

Ill get pics for you guys

seafarinman 04-02-2003 04:43 PM

Please include pics of the bus/RV that they came from!!:laugh:

snappy 04-02-2003 06:26 PM

where'd you get em? $?

Slick,

Where'd you pick up those beefy swaybars?

Mudd Runna 04-04-2003 01:44 PM

Thanks for the info...But as of I'm in the middle of doing my own Head Gasket...lol...I won't be doing much of anything...lol...But when I'm done...I'll try that..I'll take it off...Drive it around and see how it reacts and I'll post my findings...I think It'll prove to be interesting.....

SC2WD 03-10-2007 01:18 PM

FYI: There is also a company called SwayAway that sells up-rated anti-swaybars.

stormforce1067 03-10-2007 01:40 PM

the swayaway bars as you guys call them and the anti roll bars as we call them.I have the landcruiser hdj80 springs on the rear with +3"es3000's which give me 3"lift from standard and a 2" body lift and i have taken the bar off and haven't noticed a lot of differance.The land cruiser springs stiffen the ride alot and you can stiffen the ride a bit more by fitting the es9000's.

wjwerdna 03-10-2007 02:02 PM

I think Slick is referring to sway-bar END-LINKS and length, not diameter of the actual sway-bars, at least I hope so