Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

More cargo stowage Mod for 96-98 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job! Amazing how much you can actually stuff into these. Anyone know what was in these storage areas from the factory? Tool kit maybe?
Old 03-18-2010, 02:27 PM

Old 03-19-2010, 04:44 AM

Great mod! I thought of doing the same thing, but currently, everything I need is in my stock sized compartment and stowed away in other spots. I've got a portable air pump, and booster cables in my cargo compartment. Under my rear seat, I've got a breaker bar and the socket and tool to get my lock nuts off my wheels, some work gloves, and 6 ratchet straps. Under my driver seat, I've got my tow strap. In my center armrest console, I've got a small LED flashlight, a flat head screw driver and and a tire gauge. Besides maybe some extra tools, I'm pretty well equiped.....

But that storage compartment job looks great!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up one of these trunk panel for my 96. On my truck the previous owner had a sub installed in the compartment space but it isnt there anymore, so I didnt even have the stock compartment. It is really annoying to have my jumper cables, tow strap and other gear on the trunk floor. I look forward to having some enclosed storage. I also plan on incorperating a AC/DC power inverter inside the panel, right beside the 12V plug. It will be nice to have plug in power in the trunk.

Too bad the tan color doesnt match the eraly tan, its too light.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks, actually it is amazing how much more storage I got when I installed the expanded one over the 96-98 stowage space. Really is a pretty easy mod.

The idea of a converter installed is a gr8 idea. There is some room behind the panel so depending on the size converter you want to put in there it should not be an issue. I would take a tap off the installed outlet or better yet, before you install the panel, run yourself a dedicated line to an auxillary fuze panel under the hood (if you haven't installed one of these, you need to!) so you would have power all the time. If memory serves me, that outlet in the back is key controlled as well so if the key is off, no power to the outlet.

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 03-19-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck is already wired for multiple amps in the rear, so I will just use that for my power scorce. I am also going to set it up so I can use it while the ignition is off. While I am at it I am installing an 8" sub inside the panel on the drivers side.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 PM

very nice! my cargo space filled up quick with a few tools, fix-a-flat, surf wax, etc.

i just got a pair of 70's era samsonite suitcases at a thrift store; the hard fiberglass kind. im planning to clean these up, find a way to secure them to the sides of the cargo area, and use them as easily-removable lockboxes. ill put up some pics when done!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Make sure the inverter you buy has a low Volt/amp sensor that will turn it off when the batt. gets low or you may find yourself stuck someplace...

BIC check out your local NAPA or similar place for Duplicolor Vinyl and Plastic spray paint... if you bring in your interior colour code they can get a matching rattle can usually within a few days [if it's not in stock] this is an excellent paint it covers well and also wears very well... surface preparation is key though... wash the door/panel with dishsoap {like sunlight} and a soft non metal scrub brush (a finger nail brush for example) to clean out the embossed grain and remove grease/grime... rinse well and allow to dry in a clean area... next spray all surfaces with electrical contact cleaner and wipe down... wash a second time with dish soap/scrub brush and rinse wearing latex/rubber gloves... allow to dry thoroughly in a clean space... Important! from this point on never handle the part with bare hands always have on latex/nytril glove to prevent finger oils from contaminating the surface... shake paint can for at least 4-5mins (cab says 2min but more shaking will mix paint/propellant better) apply paint in several light coats allowing to dry thoroughly between coats... if you can set part in a sunny window the sun will bake the finish a bit for you...
I did my dash black almost 2 yrs ago now using this process and it is still in perfect condition...

Last edited by aviator; 03-19-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:27 PM

this will be one of my future mods this Fall