YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Maintenance Questions (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/maintenance-questions-198299/)

Doug S 12-05-2009 04:42 AM

Maintenance Questions

Hi, been awhile..

I have an 01 SR5 with about 120K on the clock, Pretty much stock-(I've done some mods)- and I've done all of the maintenance, I plan on keeping it. I need to do a bunch of maintenance, timeing belt, brakes all around, O2 sensor, coolant, differentials, etc,etc.. Have some questions..

I need a good online source for OEM part numbers. I found a place that sells OEM parts for about 20% off stealer prices but they don't have everything, ie:they have a thermostat but not the gasket. If you have a good source for parts that would also be great.

I'm having the dealer do Timing belt/h20 pump, Should I replace the oil seals? I have a fear that the dealer will mess something up that is not an issue now. Also, If I have them do the coolant, do they actually flush it or just drain and fill. I have a well and it's got some iron in it so I've never really flushed it.

I'm replacing the rotors, there are 15" and 16" wheel types, are the brake pads the same for both size rotors? I only see one part listed online.

I replaced the front O2 sensor this spring and there were two types. I want to replace the rear, are there two types of that one and how do I tell?

Power Steering Fluid; I know ATF is recomended as a replacement but I have 3 Toyotas, none of them have it in them. My Camry had the steering rack replaced and they used clear fluid. I'm planning to do the turkeybaster drain and fill, can i just use regular Valvoline PS fluid?

Last question..lol. What about front wheel bearings? I searched here and didn't find much. But since I'll have everything apart doing the brakes, Shouldn't they be repacked?

Thanks
Doug

crolison 12-05-2009 12:36 PM

I use toyota of dallas for all my toyota parts, besides little stuff.

brake pads are different for each of them.

you have to put new coolant in anyways when you do the water pump timing belt

why are you replacing the rear o2? does it need it? if it doesn't i say screw it.

only use atf in your power steering

can't repack the front wheel bearings, if your not having problems let them be.

TheDurk 12-05-2009 07:18 PM

I agree with all the advice above. Part numbers are best found at www.toyodiy.com Put in your VIN and get the numbers for YOUR truck.

Best source I know for O2 sensors is URD O2 Sensors They sell OEM Denso's and website gives the right numbers for each type of rig. You may get a better price elsewhere (Amazon), but application info is usually sketchy. In any case, use Denso and get the right one. They vary with engine, transmission, 2wd/4wd, and Cali./non-Cali. (This last probably does not apply to your year.)

On the seals, you will find those who will tell you to change, and those who agree with you and change only if they leak. I just did my TB, h20 pump, etc. myself at 120K. I bought the seals just in case, but the old ones were tight and I left well enough alone. I'd tell the dealer to change them if any sign of leaking but others will say do it while you are in there.

brian2sun 12-05-2009 08:41 PM

Ditto. Like crolison said, screw the rear o2 unless it throws a code. The rear one doesn't really affect engine performance, it monitors the cat.

Don't put fluids in your truck that aren't what the manual calls for (or the cap in the case of your power steering). There are few exceptions to this, but it usually pertains to fluid weight, not type (i.e. putting heavier weight oil in your high mileage engine like 10w30 instead of 5w30).

Doug S 12-08-2009 05:03 PM

Thanks to all,

That part number link is good but they only list one part number for pads. I think there should be two sizes for the different rotors, I guess a call to the dealer is in order.

I was thinking of replacing the rear sensor in the hopes it would help with my cold weather gas mileage. I know these trucks suffer poor mpg when the temps are cold but mine is getting worse than normally bad milage. It goes from 18.5 down to 15.5 in sub-freezing temps. Guess I'll save the $$. gonna spend enough on this thing as it is..

I'm looking foreward to getting everything done. I'm normally good at keeping up with things but I've been working on two bikes for the last year and things got away from me..

Doug

BajaRunner 12-08-2009 06:58 PM

ToyotaDallas (Trdparts4u.com, toyotapartssales.com) has best prices for OEM.

I personally LOVE rockauto.com for parts though. They carry some denso parts as well (like O2 sensors).

bottles 12-08-2009 07:19 PM

partsgeek.com was alot of oem parts

rimpainter.com 12-08-2009 07:57 PM

If you're going to do throttle body maintenance (which I recommend at your mileage) it might be a good time to replace the stock D gasket with an "O" gasket. $6 shipped. I have a few left in inventory. Link is in my sig.

Doug S 12-09-2009 01:35 PM

Rimpainter,

What maintenancee should I be doing to the T/B? I spray it out each plug change and I'm due for plugs now, what else is needed?

What does the gasket do for me, Less restriction?
My intake is stock and the engine runs well.

Thanks,
Doug

rimpainter.com 12-09-2009 03:07 PM

Doug -

Sounds like you're on top of it. Yeah, just keeping it clean, including the plate is what I was referring to.

If you click here I outline some of the advantages. If you just want to keep your rig the way it is, that's cool too. :)