YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Loud poping noise when turn the wheel (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/loud-poping-noise-when-turn-wheel-51343/)

Going BIG 02-08-2005 02:03 PM

Loud poping noise when turn the wheel

Well Ive got a 94 Pickup V6 4x4 and about 3months ago it started making a loud poping noise when i would turn the wheel, and hit like a lil bump. I took it to a toyota dealier ship and they said I had a small leak in my P/S pump. And wasnt even bad enuf yet to get a new one.(Im getten a new one soon) So they said just refill it and it should be fine. Well I did that and it still has that noise,anyone have any idea what it is? Thanks.

-Alex

96LtdYota 02-08-2005 02:04 PM

worn out cv axle... youll get more responses

Mickdady 02-08-2005 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Going BIG
Well Ive got a 94 Pickup V6 4x4 and about 3months ago it started making a loud poping noise when i would turn the wheel, and hit like a lil bump. I took it to a toyota dealier ship and they said I had a small leak in my P/S pump. And wasnt even bad enuf yet to get a new one.(Im getten a new one soon) So they said just refill it and it should be fine. Well I did that and it still has that noise,anyone have any idea what it is? Thanks.

-Alex

That is a strange diagnosis given the description. I would definately seek a second opinnion. I used to have an early 90s toyota that did this and it was from the metal turn stops rubing. I put some grease on them and the sounds went away.

Going BIG 02-08-2005 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mickdady
That is a strange diagnosis given the description. I would definately seek a second opinnion. I used to have an early 90s toyota that did this and it was from the metal turn stops rubing. I put some grease on them and the sounds went away.

They also said those where warn out and we got the little caps to put on them, maby that is the problem. Anyone think its the CV axle.

EWAYota 02-08-2005 02:16 PM

definitly check your turn stops. they come from the factory with little rubber boots covering the stopping point, but they wear down quickly. rub some grease on there and the noise will vanish. i reapply grease once every 2 months or so, no big deal.

blainelukens 02-08-2005 02:55 PM

maybe the groan stopper bolt covers they go quick

Watts&Volts 02-09-2005 07:05 AM

The turn stoppers are the problem, they wear out quick and cost about $20 for all 4. Or just put a finger full of grease on each one.

Flamedx4 02-09-2005 07:23 AM

The groan stoppers commonly do this if it only does it at full lock, but
I had the same problem, eventually replaced the CV axles and that fixed it.

It was a pop, pretty loud, like a busted shock or something in the suspension was tight but not tight enough, so it would shift with a solid "thunk" under the torque/strain of wheel being turned and hitting brakes or a bump. I took the front end apart a couple times, couldn't find anything. But then I started getting a clunk-clunk-clunk in 4wd when there was a strain on - like pulling up a steep sand hill. I took the axles out and cleaned them out and checked them carefully, they looked PERFECT. Even took the third member back to the shop and had em check it. Logical deduction pointed at the right axle, so I finally got frustrated and just bought replacements (no big deal - $66 each exchange lifetime warranty at CarQuest) and that was it. Been fine ever since, and smoother too.