Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Locating 2WD axle shaft and 14x6 wheel rim?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locating 2WD axle shaft and 14x6 wheel rim?

2000 Tacoma SR5 XtraCab/ 2WD/ 2RZFE/ 5-Speed/ 133K miles/ No ABS

So this happened: a couple of weeks ago I'm driving along, and had to make an emergency maneuver in traffic at @ 35 MPH. I slammed on the brakes, and my truck did a 180° spin backwards into a tall curb, stopping half on and half off the sidewalk, facing oncoming traffic, and damaging a couple of parts of unobtainium on the driver's side. No one was hurt and no one else was involved, thank God, but Yoda was rendered undriveable.
The front left wheel grazed the curb, while the rear went into and over it. The front rim appears fine, somehow not even having a scuff, but getting some weeds crammed between the rim and the tire bead. That tire will no longer hold air (even with the weeds removed.)
The rear left rim was not so lucky, losing a large chunk but somehow still holding air. I believe the left rear axle shaft was also damaged, appearing to be bent at the wheel hub. I was able to limp home several miles away after changing the flat tire. The truck runs and shifts fine, but the rear wheel was wobbly, and of course the alignment is now off. The frame and body, and the rest of the suspension and drivetrain appear fine. I have spent the past 2 weeks looking everywhere for a replacement wheel rim and axle shaft, and have come up empty handed. 4WD 6-lug rear axle shafts are a dime a dozen at every box store and online source, as are the 6 lug 15" and 16" factory alloys, but I have not been able to source the 5-lug 14" Enkei (factory option?) alloy rim or the 2WD 5-lug axle shaft.
There are numerous Tacomas of the same vintage in my neck of the woods wearing these rims but I can't find one anywhere. I would love to just replace the entire set of rims but cannot afford to right now. There is one wheel shop in Jacksonville, FL that specializes in used and reconditioned wheels that claims to have it, but I am leery of doing business with them as they have poor customer reviews, plus, ugh, "reconditioned" wheels...I have yet to find any other source, including Enkei online or any discontinued wheel sites that has it.
My only option for the axle shaft seems to be from a dealership @ $350-$400; Amazon, eBay, LKQ, RockAuto, Advance, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, as well as local junkyards do not carry it.
So here are my questions:
1.) Is it feasible to rebuild the rear axle shaft with a new pressed in hub/bearing? I don't want to install questionable salvage parts that probably have 250K miles on them...I can handle removing the assembly, and I have a friend who can press out the old bearing and fix it, but idk if I should pursue a repair or just buy a new one? What do I need to know about repairing this part? If it comes down to complete replacement, does anyone have a line on a good, hopefully cheaper-than-the-dealer source?
2.) Is there a good source for finding good condition, new or used, not welded up and repaired rims? Maybe someone out there has a set of take-offs like mine they'd be willing to separate? I have included pics of the ones I am trying to locate...
Many thanks in advance. If you have any questions for me regarding this post, please hmu with a reply. I'm crossing my fingers I can get this fixed and back on the road soon.
Attached Thumbnails Locating 2WD axle shaft and 14x6 wheel rim?-good-p215-70r14s.jpg   Locating 2WD axle shaft and 14x6 wheel rim?-bad.jpg   Locating 2WD axle shaft and 14x6 wheel rim?-ugly-offset-part-.jpg  

Last edited by automan; 04-23-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Are you sure the axle is bent? Have you tried putting one of the straight wheel on and checking for wobble? It's possible the rim took all the damage. If it isn't just a rim and it's into the axle shaft, you can pull the shaft, and replace with a used or remanufatured one. If you go used I would have new bearings pressed on, because as you mentioned who knows how many miles are on them. You can also take your shaft to a machine shop for them to spin and true up. That may be your best option if you can't find parts. My fear would be if you took a big enough hit to bend and axle shaft, which is basically a 1" solid steel bar, then you may have bent the housing or worse have a twist to the frame. You say everything is straight, but can you see a 1/4" out of square over 15' by eye? I can't. That's why you measure wrecks strapped to a frame machine with factory reference specs.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ty for the info. fierohink. I'm not 100% sure that it is bent, I just edited the original post to clarify that. I haven't disassembled anything yet. The front "grazed" tire made contact 1st, & went flat slowly. The rear wheel that is missing a chunk is toast, but somehow held air and made it home. I aired up the front tire and swapped it to the back once home. It held air long enough to go around the block, but doesn't seal at the bead and went flat again overnight.
It's possible the front rim is warped, as well as the back, even though it literally didn't have a scuff on it. I've seen stranger things...I am taking it to a local shop tomorrow to have it assessed.
I can't visually see a twist to the frame, I am basing that on the fact that the actual hit was much slower than I had been traveling by the time it slewed around and actually made contact with the curb. As you say, I think the wheel caught the brunt of it. It still drives down the road straight, not pulling or dog-tracking, and I can't feel any vibration or shimmy while driving it. I didn't notice the wobble until I looked in the mirror and saw it.
It's still undriveable until I get a least 1 new rim, but when I started looking up axle shaft prices for it as a "what if?", I found limited info. so I wanted to ask before tearing into it.

Last edited by automan; 04-23-2018 at 01:52 AM.