Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Loadwarrior weatherproof? Need advice on cargo roof box or bag

Old 07-05-2003, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loadwarrior weatherproof? Need advice on cargo roof box or bag

We're planning a cross country roadtrip so my wife asks me how how we're gonna keep the stuff on the Yakima Loadwarrior weatherproof in case it rains. Any ideas?

So I'm thinking now, should I have gotten a cargo roof box or roof bag instead? I've seen plenty of travelers with these.

Any owners out there who can recommend a specific model or share some pictures? Thule and Yakima makes plenty different models. Should I get a more square one of one of those real long ones?

Any help is appreciated. I've searched the forums but I haven't seen any discussion of these roof boxes/bags. Thanks !
Old 07-05-2003, 08:51 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have the Load Warrior, and I think I have seen weatherproof bags you can get that are non Yakima that will fit into them.

I don't have the sites bookmarked, but I'm sure a Google search will turn something up.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

i used to borrow by bosses yakima rocket box when i would go camping , it was great it held a ton of stuff. they are weather proof, and in fact if you put anything wet ( like ski clothes , skis and such) inside the box it tends to hold in the moisture . also they are secure and lock down. rest assured you ca nattach the boxes to your load warrior also . unfortunatly if you bought the lw specifically for this trip you might have gone a little over , and could have jsut gotten the box instead. the bag system would be fine if you dont mind leaving your stuff in it over night with no theft protection. i am not sure if they are water proof , but i imagine they are water resistence , my old roomate used a cheaper version of the bags , and he said it sucked to un pack something out of it , if you needed only one thing from it and it wasnt near the top . in fact the version of the bag system they used had ripped from its tie downs andthey had to figure out how to load all the gear into the honda civic they were driving.

long box or more square , i thinkthats more of a personal preference as long as the box is big enough to carry what you need it too. you can fit a lot of stuff inside those boxes .

airrikk17
Old 07-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Another idea.
I have seen light weight steel boxes that will fit in the Load Warrior and other roof racks.

I think it's in my Kaymar catalog.
They don't have a website, and they are jointly owned by ARB I believe.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the inputs. I think I've decided to go ahead and sell the Yakima Loadwarrior and get a Cargo Roof Box instead. It's a shame since I haven't used the Loadwarrior but once.

Since I don't go offroading, and my 4runner is used as a daily drive vehicle only, can anyone convince me of other reasons/uses to keep the Loadwarrior?
Old 07-06-2003, 09:59 AM

Flexibility?

Here's a poor man's suggestion for keeping things dry: BBT. Big Blue Tarp. The thick heavy-duty kind that stores with camping gear carry. Get one that is WAY bigger than the loadwarrior and can cover the basket and wrap all the way around your stuff. Lay it on the basket. Pile on all your stuff, then wrap the rest over the top and tuck it in to the sides of the basket. Then strap the whole thing down and go. That's what I do when I go camping. My big spider-web bungie doesn't let it flap a bit. If I arrange things right I can even get a somewhat aerodynamic shape and it is 100% waterproof even driving through s trong storm.

Chris
Old 07-06-2003, 10:16 AM

Chris,

Believe it or not. My wife also mentioned that we should do something with the blue tarp we have in the garage. We were at REI and saw them sell those cargo bags for like $100. She said why not be creative, get two tarps, and make a zipper to hold them together.

Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see how tarps come into use !
Old 07-06-2003, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Dry bags.

http://everestnews.altrec.com/shop/dir/0/134/

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealline/vinyl_bags.asp

https://auksecure.webminders.com/Dow...sp?prodtype=77

Some can even be cable locked into your rack. And, if you get a red one and a blue one and put them in the rack so that your can see the ends of both from the front, traffic in front of you will slow down when they see you coming

Last edited by WATRD; 07-06-2003 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Found it

Could not find the nice steel boxes I mentioned that I had seen.
But I found my Kaymar catalog.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/temp/kaymar_bag.jpg

Kaymar is affiliated with ARB, and your best bet if you want to enquire on the bag is to contact Tim Lund of ARB in Seattle.
tlund@arbusa.com
206 264-1669

Looks like a nice bag.

PS, I found Kaymar online too.
http://www.kaymar.com.au/nisgq_proof.html

Here's a lot more.
http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?s...ar+canvas+bags
Old 07-08-2003, 09:54 AM

Thanks for going through all the trouble to dig up those links. I'm torn between selling the Load Warrior and getting a cargo box, vs. keeping it and buying one of those canvas bags.

I see the LW used mostly for offroading like Corey does, and since mine is a 2wd, I won't be offroading. However, I will be doing a lot of road trips, so a cargo box seems to be more advantageous (fully waterproof, security lock, etc).

Is there anything the Load Warrior has over a cargo box, for a non offroader like me? I just need to be tilted one way.

Otherwise....anyone interested in buying my LW with no wear on it? I'll throw in the flag for free
Attached Thumbnails Loadwarrior weatherproof? Need advice on cargo roof box or bag-lw.jpg  

Last edited by Yotabozo; 07-08-2003 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

yota: how much you asking for the LW? Shipping alone will be probably $25.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

For one thing, the LW is more aerodynamic as it sits lower, and has the spaces so air can flow through it, not over and around it.

I like the looks of that bag from Kaymar, but being Kanvas, you won't be able to leave it on all the time due to UV light.

But I think it looks sharp.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:07 PM

Sac,

I live in NC also so if you're interested, you would save on shipping (and taxes?! ). I paid over $250 for it. If interested, PM me an offer. I'd love to NOT have to ship this.