YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   List of Mods/Upgrades needed for '05 Taco Dcab (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/list-mods-upgrades-needed-05-taco-dcab-37021/)

PirateFins 07-20-2004 10:51 AM

List of Mods/Upgrades needed for '04 Taco Dcab

Hey guys,
I came home yesterday to see a brand new Taco D-cab sitting in my neighbors driveway. I welcomed him to the Toy family (about time he sold the pos Cherokee). We started talking about the truck and things he would like to do to it. So I told him I would ask you guy's for some mod / upgrade questions. He doesn't have internet so I am going to print out this thread and give it to him.
His main question was in regardes to a small lift, how high and from whom should he get it. He does not do any offroading except to get to the ATV trails.
Also what performance things should he do. It's got the 3.4 non SC motor and does not have the TRD package.
Thanks for the help,
Brad

waskillywabbit 07-20-2004 10:54 AM

Taco

Good thing you've got SMART neighbors!

I'd tell him to just get the Cornfed kit that has the spacers up front and an AAL in the rear for about $300 and that will give him about 2" of lift. Once he gets the bug though, you know he won't stop at that! :hillbill:

He should have gotten the TRD package though as that would have gotten him a better suspension and a rear e-locker....:pat:

:guitar:

Tacoma Dude 07-20-2004 01:29 PM

Tires may be something to consider.
OEM tires are horrendously bad. TTORA is a good place to check out.

I agree with Brian - Cornfeds will be the best to go... it'll give him the lift and it'll keep it close to stock performance. Why bother paying for more if you're not going to use it?

ewarnerusa 07-20-2004 02:17 PM

'05 tacoma? I thought they weren't out yet

PirateFins 07-21-2004 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by ewarnerusa

Sorry good catch. I meant '04. I've been working 16 hrs a day 6 days a week so my brain is mush and I don't know what day it is let alone year.

What about engine mods. ISR, Deckplate, etc... are these all things that are good for that motor?

ewarnerusa 07-21-2004 06:50 AM

no prob. I wasn't trying to be fussy about it. I had just wondered if I somehow missed the release of the '05 because I want to see it! I figured this board would be lit up with '05 posts if it came out.

3.4v6 07-21-2004 08:00 AM

the cornfed lift would be good, but he might need to get new shocks for the front because the struts on the D-cab are shorter than all the other tacos out there.
-deckplate
-isr
- maybe a comp and internet so he can go on yotatech :rockin:

roger 07-21-2004 09:15 AM

I would have to ask whether he needs to do anything at all to it...unless getting to those ATV trails is a real adventure in and of itself, his current setup will most likely work just fine.

Now if the money's just burning a hole in his pocket then the above mods would be fine, but I'd suggest he take a good hard look at what he intends to do with the truck before spending a lot of $$$ on it. Just my 2 cents'

Tacoma Dude 07-21-2004 09:23 AM

Roger:
You have a good point - it does seem though, that he wants to do this stuff.

With regards to the Cornfeds - if he's got a Prerunner he should be able to go 3" no problem. If he's got a 4x4 he should go somewhere around 2.5" and keep an eye on his CVs. The diff drop kit should help.... I believe it's all in the Cornfed site and as someone was mentioning, you can buy the full kit to do everything and not have to bother with buying extra parts.

With regards to the engine mods.
Got to remember that the deckplate is a permanent cut away in the airbox. The Amsoil air filter will be good too.
ISR mod - I had it at one point and it does work but I'm not so sure about pinging and the issues about moisture so I took it off.

PirateFins 07-21-2004 01:29 PM

Ok thanks guy's I will start pointing him in the right directions. I tried to talk him into setting his internet back up, but he is never really home to use it.

The Amsoil filter is a go, we have a distributor in our little town (I was so happy when I saw that sticker in the window that said "Amsoil sold here").

I told him about deckplate mod and cutting the hole and he said no problem. I showed him my modified deckplate mod on my 22re box and he wanted to know if I could bring the hole saw home this weekend.

I will read up on the ISR and he can make the choice.

Is this the airbox for the "Elbow removal" also?

I will go to the cornfed site and get the info for him.

Roger: Good question. The first things to come out of his mouth was " I got tired of looking at your truck and I have always wanted a Toy Truck and I can't wait to put a lift on it, What else should I do to it"? So I told him I would consult the YotaTech folks and we can go from there.

Thank's again for the help.

Rivalred 07-21-2004 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ewarnerusa

I was about to say..... :think:

PirateFins 07-22-2004 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rivalred
I was about to say..... :think:

I tried changing the main title of the thread after this was pointed out the first time, but it doesn't work like that.

Oh well