Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lifter Noise/ Bad Valve? 97 4Runner, 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifter Noise/ Bad Valve? 97 4Runner, 3.4

So, I have lifter noise, or what I think is lifter noise, from the right bank of my 97 Runner. I say lifter noise because it goes up and down with the speed of the engine, and goes tap tap tap. I compare the sound to my 30 year old dodge that has a straight six that has lifter tap that fads after a few seconds. However, I have never had a DOHC like this before, and am unsure. I have heard that the 3.0 (spit) required all sorts of money thrown at it, including valve adjustment every 75k (told to me by a toyota mechanic many years ago) My truck, gods be praised, has the 3.4. truck has 231K on it right now. Has anyone ever had such noise in theirs? Lifter issue or valve adjustment? I have changed the oil, run cleaner through it, changed the oil again. Noise is still present. seems to be almost non existent early in the am when first started, then picks up as truck warms up. There are no other noises, truck runs smoothly, accelerates fine, and isnt missing, which would, in my mind, toss out a diagnosis of a dead cylinder( maybe?)

I definitely would like to hear what you all would suggest. Do 3.4s need a valve adjustment after 200K, or could it be a bum lifter?
timing was all done at 197. Noise has been present for about a month. I got a quote (from the dealer, first mistake) who quoted me near 1200 bucks for the adjustment. say it isnt so!

I appreciate you help everyone.
Cheers
Old 03-05-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have never had the valves adjusted after 230k, then it definitely MIGHT need one. They are expensive and difficult to adjust, so you want to be sure. Luckily, its easy to check the clearances with the usual tools (including a 'bent' feeler gauge set). Any valve that has a larger than normal clearance could cause this noise.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm starting to hear a similar noise on my left bank. Part from one timing belt job at 170k, religious oil changes, plug changes, etc., the engine has not been messed with since I purchased the truck new.

The 3.4 uses a shim & bucket design, whereby the camshaft lobes ride directly on the shims, which are captured in 'buckets'. I've always thought valve clearances can only increase - but in reality they can decrease as the valves slowly wear deeper into their seats.

I intend to keep an ear on this noise, as it could also be injector related. Truck runs great, so I'm not overly concerned...

Andreas
Old 03-16-2014, 12:40 PM

I had this issue on my '96 a few years ago. I bought it off a guy who gave it to his son and hadn't changed the oil in a year. There was a lot of this noise you described.

I put new (cheap) oil and a filter in, and half a can of seafoam in with the oil. After running it for ~80 miles, I drained the oil. It came out black. Then put good synthetic oil in. After this almost all engine noise was gone.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by joevanvliet
I put new (cheap) oil and a filter in, and half a can of seafoam in with the oil. After running it for ~80 miles, I drained the oil. It came out black. Then put good synthetic oil in. After this almost all engine noise was gone.
I read comments like this, and I'm just left asking myself, "How does that work?"

I mean that. I'm curious, so if you can explain how Seafoam does this, please do.

Andreas
Old 03-16-2014, 02:21 PM

It may have had nothing to do with Seafoam. I once bought a 22RE truck that had black oil. Changed to new oil, the new oil instantly turned black. Changed that oil, and it instantly turned very dark. No seafoam involved.

Last edited by Keith B.; 03-16-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:29 AM

Sludge in the oil can restrict oil passages and keep parts from getting as much lubricant as it needs, which leads to reduced performance and noises. Changing your oil regularly or using detergents like seafoam, engine flushes, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc. help remove those sludge buildups and hopefully freeing up all the passageways.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:06 PM

Hi guys doing a head job i misplace two lifters and i place them on the wrong spot now i got the noise from it and no i dont remember which ones where in what place so any ideas on how can we adjust them or need to replace them all? 98 4runner 3.4 engine. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2020, 11:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by P40Wolf
So, I have lifter noise, or what I think is lifter noise, from the right bank of my 97 Runner. I say lifter noise because it goes up and down with the speed of the engine, and goes tap tap tap. I compare the sound to my 30 year old dodge that has a straight six that has lifter tap that fads after a few seconds. However, I have never had a DOHC like this before, and am unsure. I have heard that the 3.0 (spit) required all sorts of money thrown at it, including valve adjustment every 75k (told to me by a toyota mechanic many years ago) My truck, gods be praised, has the 3.4. truck has 231K on it right now. Has anyone ever had such noise in theirs? Lifter issue or valve adjustment? I have changed the oil, run cleaner through it, changed the oil again. Noise is still present. seems to be almost non existent early in the am when first started, then picks up as truck warms up. There are no other noises, truck runs smoothly, accelerates fine, and isnt missing, which would, in my mind, toss out a diagnosis of a dead cylinder( maybe?)

I definitely would like to hear what you all would suggest. Do 3.4s need a valve adjustment after 200K, or could it be a bum lifter?
timing was all done at 197. Noise has been present for about a month. I got a quote (from the dealer, first mistake) who quoted me near 1200 bucks for the adjustment. say it isnt so!

I appreciate you help everyone.
Cheers
Lifter noise? Hello all, I just wanted to chime in on the subject and ask if anyone has found a source for the procedure to adjust the lifters in the 3.4 5VZFE engine. I also have a very noisy lifter in my T100. I am a very experienced"do it yourselfer" I am wanting to change the lifter in my engine or at least puck it. The noise is there after running for a short time. The warmer it gets the louder it gets. Once it reaches a certain level of noise, that's where it remains. It's not affecting the performance and has no misfire at all. I'm 95% sure that it's a lifter and it needs the valves adjusted. 217,000 miles so I'm sure it's due. If anyone knows of a source of information on the process, please let me know. Thank you very much in advance.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ram1
Lifter noise? Hello all, I just wanted to chime in on the subject and ask if anyone has found a source for the procedure to adjust the lifters in the 3.4 5VZFE engine. I also have a very noisy lifter in my T100. I am a very experienced"do it yourselfer" I am wanting to change the lifter in my engine or at least puck it. The noise is there after running for a short time. The warmer it gets the louder it gets. Once it reaches a certain level of noise, that's where it remains. It's not affecting the performance and has no misfire at all. I'm 95% sure that it's a lifter and it needs the valves adjusted. 217,000 miles so I'm sure it's due. If anyone knows of a source of information on the process, please let me know. Thank you very much in advance.
Rather than lifters, I thought the cams bear directly on shims that act on the valve stems? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I purchased my truck new, do all of my own maintenance, and now have 457,000 on the clock. Other that 3,000-mile oil changes and two timing belt jobs, the engine continues to run as well as ever. It may not be as quiet as in 2001, but it certainly does not make worrisome noises.

Andreas