Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lift info for Newb - Complete FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift info for Newb - Complete FAQ

I am relatively new to these forums and to exterior mods. I have done a good bit of electrical work in mine, but have always been afraid of getting under the hood or the car because my knowledge outside of electronics is very limited.

After reading and seeing so many people's rides on here, I feel like I have been in the dark ages with my 4Runner, and I have to get a lift!

Problem is, I know nothing about them. I'm sure there are other somewhat-newbs out there that are in the same boat as me, so here goes:

I am looking for a 3"-3.5" lift and have seen many different options/setups.

I don't know much about suspension or what is required to lift the car. Moreover, the prices range from 2-300 to 2000+. What are the differences in the types of lifts: coilovers? spacers? shocks? struts?

Is it possible to get a decent lift for around 4-500?

What do I need to complete this project?

Can I do this in my driveway, or are special tools/equipment required?

Thank you for any replies, I know this is a noob question.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but I see no point in lifting your truck just because you think it looks cool or other people are doing it. Its too much work, money, complications, and potential problems down the road. Are you going to go 4wheeling? Fit bigger tires?

Thats money better spent in things like engine performance upgrades, suspension (not lift) upgrades, tires, lights, stereo and interior, stuff like that.

If you are dead set on getting a lift, I HIGHLY recommend hooking up with someone who has done it before and either have them walk you through the lift, or watch them do it a time or 2 before you attempt to do it on your own.

Last edited by Adam F; 01-03-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:46 PM

me personally i know of about 3 off-road stores about 40 minutes from where i live so if i was to ever get a lift, i would take it somewhere where i know they would do a good job of it.

from what you said, you know not much about it so i wouldn't risk getting under and start messing with stuff.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 PM

This is odd. I replied to this post, as well as BLKBLU, and our posts aren't up. 98SR54RUNNER did you cut and paste a repost??? Go figure.

And by the way, as long as you have some mechanical skills, ie. know how to hold a socket and wrench, and have a friend/aquaintance who knows about suspension lifts (as ADAM F said), most lifts are doable on your own. I am about as mechanical as a monkey and I had few problems (aside from dealing with rusty bolts) putting on my Sonoran lift. Keep in mind it came with detailed instructions.

And remember, everybody's got an opinion on lifts. Just do you research and pick the lift that is best suited to your off-roading needs. If you are just doing it for looks then IMO I'd spend it on other mods.

Good luck
Old 01-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks very much for your replies, and sorry, I posted this thread twice accidentally.

To answer your questions:

I want the lift because:

1. A friend of mine has a 4Runner with a lift and 33s and it's awesome.
2. I'm in a fraternity and many guys offroad and work on their cars.
3. My family has 5 4Runners and I want mine to be the best!!
4. I will need new tires soon and want some 33' all terrain ta's

Forgot to mention that a frat brother of mine works on cars a lot and said he could help me do it no prob. Also, i have already invested a good bit of money on upgraded stereo, speakers, subs, cb radio, hid lights, etc.

I do want some hellas and a new bumper/brush guard, but that will come after the lift.

My car is a daily driver.
That being said, I am looking for a lift (3"-3.5"?) that will allow me to fit 33 inch BF Goodrich All Terrain TAs. I want something that I can take on moderate trails and minor bogging. We mostly go down dirt roads and woods areas, not real rock-crawling or deep bogging. I want a lift that I don't have to worry about being a daily driver on, but that can withstand some off-roading here and there. And, I want it all for a good price. Is this too good to be true? Tell me what you know. Thanks!

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 01-03-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sloan
me personally i know of about 3 off-road stores about 40 minutes from where i live so if i was to ever get a lift, i would take it somewhere where i know they would do a good job of it.

from what you said, you know not much about it so i wouldn't risk getting under and start messing with stuff.
No offense man, but that's why this board and others like it are here. Why trust some shop who is only there to make $$ off you to decide on which lift is better for you and your vehicle when there are hundreds of threads on lifts here that people have done, plus vendors like sonoransteel.com who have spelled out just about every possible lift you can do to a runner. And there are dozens of members here and other boards who are more than willing to help you out for an install for some pizza and beer, plus you can learn a heck of a lot watching it go on.
just my .02
Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by denpacc
This is odd. I replied to this post, as well as BLKBLU, and our posts aren't up. 98SR54RUNNER did you cut and paste a repost??? Go figure.

Good luck
Yeah our posts are in the other thread. I'm going to copy and paste the links I had in the other thread for the sake of consistency. I think it's good reading and may help out the next guy thats searching.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...ion-faq-73612/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...mation-121264/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/toyota-faq-66255/

Other than that I'd recommend, as others have, a spin through Sonoran Steel's site. Great info and Steve is a great guy that will steer you right.
http://www.sonoransteel.com/
Old 01-03-2008, 08:32 PM

i was just saying it was an option for him if he was afraid or didn't know much. like me i wouldn't wanna do anything major to mine because i know nothing about the body work or suspension, but my dad does, but since he works all the time and i'm a full time college student and work about 30 hours a week i wouldn't have the time to do a lift either.

but back to the topic, is your vehicle 2 or 4 wheel drive?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

It is a 4WD of course!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:36 PM

That is why there is a newb section
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/
That has a lift FAQ stickied
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...ion-faq-73612/

There are so many options for lifts, it is first up to you to figure out what you need based on how you will use your vehicle. Then after reading and searching on many different opinions and options you will then feel more confused then you did before you started. Then after a few more reads you will figure it all out..haha

Last edited by Godzilla; 01-03-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I haven't clicked through all the links so I don't know if this tidbit has already been covered elsewhere:

After a lift, your 4Runner will NEVER ride or drive like it did before.

If you like your stock ride (I did), take that seriously into consideration.

I am not unhappy with the choice I've made, it suits my purpose and works great. But some days the thought of getting a 2nd totally stock runner crosses my mind for running around town and whatnot.

Also, realize that stuffing 33's with a lift will likely cause rubbing, and definitely cause sluggish throttle response. That can be cured with with $$$ but since you're looking for a low buck lift I'm guessing you won't be re-gearing. Keep that in mind. Trust me, its noticable, and for me it was horrible.

I'm not posting this up to sway you away from a lift. I just think that all to often on the boards people are gung ho about lifting but the negative side never really seems to make it into print. There are negatives, just weigh them along the positives. Good luck in your decision.