Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just intalled URD 7th injector on my 02 Tacoma and now IT WONT RUN

Old 11-10-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just intalled URD 7th injector on my 02 Tacoma and now IT WONT RUN

Background. I have a 02 tacoma 3.4 that was supercharged with TRD Black supercharger at around 20k. Everything ran fine except for pinging and lack of fuel.
This weekend I put URD 7th injector kit on along with smaller pulley and deck plate mod. After I was finished installing truck would not start right up without a few seconds turning it over but I believe this was because I had hardly any gas, so I filled it up and it ran great, kit seemed to be working great no pinging no problems. I live in Denver and woke up this morning to head for school, it was freezing out and truck will not start, it just turns and turns but never turns over and fires up. The kit I put in came with higher flow fuel pump, IK22 sparkplugs, Calibrator unit and actual 7th injector all of these were installed and wired in. Someone has to have had this issue before. It sounds like it did when there was no gas in the fuel tank but now I have a full tank of gas. PLEASE HELP OR ADVISE
Anywhere to start would be great. Thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 12:32 PM

May sound silly.....but have you tried calling URD? BTW...I haven't been too impressed with and have yet to acurately tune my URD kit.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:37 PM

I called this morning and spoke with GADGET, Was not as helpful as I expected. I was pretty sure that someone probably had this same issue before and he might be able to point me in a few directions. Although he did suggest that I should check my fuel, I will here in a little bit. Its werid because it ran like a champ last night and no more than 12 hours later it wont start, only difference is it was a lot colder this morning.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:01 PM

To clarify it will not start
Old 11-10-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well do you have fuel do you have spark i would start there.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:24 PM

I will check spark next, I will get back in a few hours, thanks for the start.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe you had some water freeze up in your fuel line or filter?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I'm not sure why you're expecting miracles from Gadget. He is not nearly as familiar with your truck as you are. For the record, I don't think the cold has anything to do with your problems.

The difficult starting sounds like you've either forgotten to plug something back in after the install like TPS, maybe something else. Do you have any CEL's? Additionally, your AIC or fuel pump could be installed incorrectly/acting up. Like was already said, you'll need to verify the presence of fuel and spark (make sure to set your timing and fuel maps to zero for the time being as well).

Do you have a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge? What level of tuning have you done? Based on what you're saying, it sounds to me like the fuel pump is not supplying fuel... possibly due to a poor wiring connection.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:43 PM

First I give props to gadget for designing the stuff he did, and I dont expect him to know right off hand because he is not here mastacox
Second It ran great after I installed it and I did not mess with it after the truck was running
Tonight checked all wires and and connections on fuel pump and everywhere else here were my exact steps.
1. Checked fuel pump connections, check return fuel pump line and it did spit out fuel when I turned the truck over.
2. Checked all wire from calibration unit
3. Checked all vacuum lines
Tried to Start truck, still nothing
4. Checked spark, truck had spark
Tried to start did not start
5. Disconnected Negative Battery Terminal for 10 mins, upon reconnecting battery terminal TRUCK STARTED RIGHT UP
I do not want this to happen again and leave me in the middle of nowhere, why would disconnecting the battery have anything to do with anything.
6. I called Gadget to see what he had to say and he had never heard of this.
Does anyone have any idea what it could have been or anything I need to look into. I am happy cause its running.......for the time being.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:44 PM

Check your grounds. If disconnecting the neg terminal fixed it, either you have a bad ground, or it reset something in your computer.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:02 PM

I did not know that my fuel lines could even freeze its never happened before, as for the ground, which ground might that be?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like your ECU needed a reset after the 7th injector install. Did you disconnect your battery when you installed the 7th injector kit?

For the record, in the future if the problems come back you don't need to disconnect the battery, you can just pull the "EFI" fuse under the hood for 2-3 minutes.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:45 AM

Yes I disconnected my battery during the entire install of the 7th injector, This morning it did the same thing but after removing the negative battery cable it chugged and started up, after the truck sits for A WHILE I HAVE TO REMOVE THE NEGATIVE STICK IT BACK ON AND IT WILL START RIGHT UP.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:16 PM

Just curious how would someone know after they installed the URD 7th injector and calibrator if it was working properly and fuel was actually being delivered through the 7th injector. Thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 04:27 PM

Why start a 2nd thread on the same day for this issue?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/0...te-two-158943/
Old 11-11-2008, 04:53 PM

I have been told its a different issue and I would have better luck titling it for what it is.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:44 PM

Check the ground wires on your engine block. Remove the nuts, clean the contacts, use some dielectric grease to protect the connection.

Since this problem started with the install I suspect the calibrator. Try removing it & see what happens.

Paul
Old 11-13-2008, 08:12 AM

what about your battery connection. Is it good?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 PM

you seem to have narrowed it down

Originally Posted by Andrey
what about your battery connection. Is it good?
I am with Andrey-as you describe it you putz with the negative battery cable and that enables it to start-you would clearly see corrosion so I am certain you already cleaned your battery posts and cable end at the battery.

Thus it must be the other end of the cable or a bad connection at the battery end.

Have the g/f or wife or friend or kid or dog crank the key in the ignition whilst you wiggle the cable and see what happens....

If you just can't get it figured out get to know the great guys over at Irbis and make some friends for life. They have saved my bacon more than once-

Slee is closer to you of course....another fine shop with a Rising Sun 4wd club member. Christo Slee is the owner.

Get involved with Rising Sun club and use their forum also for local help here in metro area.

You have us all curious. Post up what it is so we can all learn.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just intalled URD 7th injector on my 02 Tacoma and now IT WONT RUN