Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I'm not a mechanic...but this yota will live

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I'm not a mechanic...but this yota will live

For those who've been helping me Thanks. are on me. Short story, I bought a used 91 Yota v6 4x4 3vze, after basic upkeep I found cyclinder #6 to be dead (30psi on a compression test). Well a valve job/top end rebuild is in store.

I'm no mechanic but i've decided to pull her into the garage and pull the heads off myself. Carry them in for the valve job. My question is: What advise does anyone have for this. What else should I look at doing since I'll be this deep into the dismantle and repair. Anyone live close by and want to help?

I can justify the valve job expense if I carry the heads in. The stealership quoted me more for the repair than I bought the truck for. I wanted a project and this is my head first jump before looking attempt and introduction into it.

I swear that I will not let this Yota die in my garage. I will be starting on Sunday or Monday 2/6-7 (depending on work and how quickly I can clear up some needed space. I expect it to take 2 - 2.5 weeks from start to finish. Wish me luck and please post any advice, links, photos of your time doing so. I'm getting my digi back from my buddy so everyone can see my struggles. If nothing else I can provide a laugh for some of you here.

after or during (need to check checking book) I will be adding a 2" BL and downey headers and a new HP exhaust. I have some buddy's who will try and help however both are expecting kids any day, time is limited.

-=Morphine=-
Old 02-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The first thing I'd do is ask these guys about going to a little over-sized valves. http://www.engnbldr.com/ .

This is the best thread I've seen about the 3.0 engine. http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...fpart=all&vc=1

It seems that any exhaust/header work is pointless without going to larger exhaust valves. Pay lots of attention to the posts by engnbldr.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-01-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:50 AM

Lightbulb it wont be that hard

It shouldn’t be too hard. Label all the vacuum lines and wires. It will save you in the end. The mechanical part is not too bad. Just take the heads off in a 3-phase loosening sequence and you should be good. Do you have a manual if you don’t you will want one. Just take it slow while taking it apart and notice how things are put together.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Morphine
What advise does anyone have for this. What else should I look at doing since I'll be this deep into the dismantle and repair.
My advise:
The one thing I missed while getting all this done... Oversize the valves!!!

Also, instead of getting just the headgaskets (which cost a fortune) get the rebuild kit. I got mine at Toyota of Richardson about a week prior to someone in here pissing them off. I don't know where our relationship stands with them now, but dealers are coming down on their prices so poke around a bit. In any case the full rebuild kit costs about the same as the head gaskets alone, in my case it was even cheaper, and they include every seal you will need.

I would also send your injectors to this guy. He did a great job on mine and replaces all seals and screens for that cost. He even ships it back very orderly and gives you the printed out charts.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:11 AM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Morph, I got the Factory Service Manuals for our '91. I can scan whatever you need, or maybe mail them up to you for the duration of the project. (long as I get 'em back in the same condition as I sent 'em) hahaha. Or I maybe can make arrangements to escape for a couple days and lend ya a hand.You cover the gas n food, I'm good for a road trip!

Just curious......how far are you from the San Fernando Valley, anyway???

>T<
Old 02-01-2005, 09:13 AM

Ok, let me see here. Oversize the valves, get the rebuild kit for all of the gaskets, and fuel injectors. How does one determine the Oversize amount? and then does this directly affect the valve replacements needed?

mt_goat thanks for the links I'm reading alot right now.

trunner, I'm already on his site checking into it. I saw the link in another post. Thanks

neil, thanks for the advise.

My plan of attack: Clear a space in the garage and lay down a white beach blanket. When something comes off it goes at one end of the blanket and then the next item below it and so on. Goinig in order from off first to last then reverse the order putting her back together again ie: 1,2,3,4,then 4,3,2,1 (anal & orderly about things sorry)

I like the input so far keep it coming. My little lady called this morning to see what my plans were and she gave the green light on the project and will contribute some $$$ for more HP and performance (I told here "reliability" items)

-=Morphine=-
Old 02-01-2005, 09:32 AM

drkgypsy - I'll cover gas, food, a place to crash out, computer support, whatever. I'm looking at this as a learning experience. I'm reading the other post and getting some valuable info right now, before work. I'm right outside of Riverside if you're familiar with that area. I yahoo mapped it from San Fernado City Hall to my place at 86 miles.

Lets see: 86mi = (2)30packs + Steak dinner + grease + sweat + cursing and swearing *2 = heads off and my truck one step closer to running. j/k

I'll pm you tonight and maybe I could call you or vice versa and discuss this. Im is always a possiblity too
-=Morphine=-
Old 02-01-2005, 09:37 AM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
No problem, I was thinkin you where somewhere up north for some reason. PM me tonight and leave me a number and set everything up!

>T<
Old 02-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One more tip: Take a lot of pictures before taking things apart.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:27 AM

Work called me in early gotta go. Please keep posting more info for me. drkgypsy, I'll talk w/you later. Also what should I get ordered early? if anything?

-=Morphine=-
Old 02-01-2005, 11:48 AM

I'm not sure what the status is of the head gasket recall, but is it possible that the truck has not been retrofitted yet, and if not, could he still qualify to have the work done at Toyota's expense.

I'm not up on 2nd gens, I'm not sure if 91s were even covered, and the recall has probably expired by now, but it may be worth looking into.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:15 PM

At work gotta be quick

Head gasket recall was completed 11/2000

-=Morphine=-
Old 02-01-2005, 08:09 PM

Ok, vicoden.....lots of vicoden...and ear protection for your neighbors...better yet if you can send them all outta town for a few days....lemme see...while we're at ithead gaskets, valve cover gaskets intake and exhuast manifold gaskets...we'll double check the valve clearences after the re-build, and prolly just about everything for a tune up that you and the better half have not already done.

and I hope you know that I'm not cheap.....and diffently not free......muuuhahahahaha
Old 02-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Hey im going to March AirForce Base in riverside on Feb 11-12. I could drop by to check it out. That is if you its held on that date.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:07 PM

One other suggestion, if something isn't goin as smoothly as ya like. Take a 5 minutes break and catch a breather instead of sitting around and gettin frustrated.

That way you don't have to pull the dent outta the fender ya kicked after ya finally finish the job you originally started

Thats just theoretical, not like it ever happened.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:10 PM

Kevin444 - stop by, my bro in law is in the Air force reserves and is currently living with me.

To everyone else, here are some pics of my "garage" It's 800 square feet of crap currently.

Morphine doing some framing in my buddies garage:

Buddy Dave and is HVAC certified Heating:

By the way good luck with the child on its way Dave.
Finally my Yota's good side:

Sorry for the low quality and night time shots. I'll get some better of the truck shortly. My garage is a disaster. I'm cleaning it out tomorrow and thursday to make room for the head job.

See what you're all getting into. j/k

-=Morphine=-
Old 02-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Let me know if you have a yard sale cuz i want that weight set! hahaha
Old 02-01-2005, 09:56 PM

Weight set not for sale. I work out 5 days a week. Gold's gym smith machine, everlast bag stand and heavy bag, norditrack eliptical in the living room (movies pass the time by when exercising) Pull up bar stand, total gym 1500. The pick of me framing is 2 nights ago and 75pounds ago.

-=Morphine=-
Old 02-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 2 cents

Hey there. JUST got done last weekend doing the head job on a '92 3.0. Doing the job myself saved lots of dough, but in the end still cost me $887 including all the machine work, gaskets, sealants, etc. My machine work included a full seat/valve grind. Replaced all exhaust guides and valves, new cams, repair to 2 stripped out threads, deck mill, and valve train adjustment. I also replaced the water pump, timing belt, both idler pulleys, all accessory belts, and new spark plugs.

Make sure to ask the machine shop you use about the valve train adjustment. Some do and some don't. Regardless, ask about your warranty if you have to set up the valves yourself. Not a big deal, but time consuming.

As noted in other posts, dissassembly is important. Toyota has dissassembly sequences for just about everything. On reassembly, make sure you have a good torque wrench.

PM me if you have any questions, I'll be happy to add what I can.

-Wrenchmonster
Old 02-02-2005, 11:31 AM

Morph, get NEW head bolts!!!! Trust me....I've got your number in my cell and I'll call you the first chance this afternoon I get...

Slusan-words of pure wisdom.....almost forgot that part

Quick Reply: I'm not a mechanic...but this yota will live