Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I'm finally getting a toyota... a quick hello and a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm finally getting a toyota... a quick hello and a few questions.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and a soon-to-be toyota owner (FINALLY!). I've been keeping an eye on 4runners (t100s and tacomas also) for the last couple of weeks since I finally paid off my car. I found a 1996 4runner sr5 4x4 with 95k miles for $8500. It's near my dad who lives out of state so he'll be checking it out for me. I'm wondering if there are certain things I should have him look for. I've spent a lot of time searching but I've had trouble finding a good list of things to look for when buying a 4runner.

The good news is it's a single owner vehicle. I'm hoping he kept good records. I'll be doing a carfax report and when the owner gets back into town on Wednesday, my dad will take the 4runner to a mechanic and have them check it out. Is there anything I should tell my dad to have the mechanic check for specifically? I'll be driving the vehicle home 1000 miles so I want to be as careful as possible.

The only thing I'm not completely happy with is this 4runner has an automatic transmission and I was hoping to find a 5-speed. I live in Colorado and I'll be spending a fair amount of time driving over mountain passes, will the auto do alright on these passes? I wouldn't even have asked but about a month ago I had a rental car and over the passes it could never make it's mind what gear to use (yes, overdrive was off) and it was constantly diving at redline or bogging down. It was driving me nuts....

Sorry for the long post and thanks for all the help, I've spent many hours here over the last week and it's helped me considerably in my search for the right vehicle. I look forward to becoming a regular here and getting to know all of you. Take good care.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're looking for a 5spd... don't settle for an automatic. Be picky, the exact 4runner/T100/Tacoma you want will turn up. It always works out. I would say just hold out until you find the PERFECT truck for you. You know that the ONE little thing you didn't like when you first bought it will fester in your mind driving you crazy making you wonder why you didn't wait when the one you actually wanted showed up like 2 days later... just be patient. I was looking for a 5spd, v6, black... I didn't find the one I'm driving for a while, but when it showed up, I knew I'd love driving it. AND I still do!

Last edited by Keggo; 09-12-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Keggo
If you're looking for a 5spd... don't settle for an automatic. Be picky, the exact 4runner/T100/Tacoma you want will turn up. It always works out. I would say just hold out until you find the PERFECT truck for you. You know that the ONE little thing you didn't like when you first bought it will fester in your mind driving you crazy making you wonder why you didn't wait when the one you actually wanted showed up like 2 days later... just be patient. I was looking for a 5spd, v6, black... I didn't find the one I'm driving for a while, but when it showed up, I knew I'd love driving it. AND I still do!
EXACTLY

Get what you want. Especially when it concerns something as important as your personal choice of transmission.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:01 AM

I also live in CO and my '97 does just fine over the passes...OD off, It'll pull the speed limit no problem...as you probably know, any faster and the state troopers will get you for sure, especially on I70 between VAil and Denver (that's why I only got to Steamboat!!!)
Old 09-13-2005, 07:30 AM

yes yes yes, do not settle for an auto. As others have said, we were all in the same boat as you. I wanted a 3rd Gen 5sp, 4wd runner as well and now look what I got!
I drove several auto's and beleive me, there is NO way I would have been happy driving one for more than a week (after the new car haze wore off).

I found my 97' SR5 4x4, 5sp w/130k and bought it for $7300. I felt ok with that price for two reasons... 1) it was well under BB and what most people were asking and 2) it didn't need all that much. I however was/am I guess, I mechanic and meticulasly maintain my vehicles and so I knew I would be putting several hundred bones into her regardless of who/where I got it. The main thing that stuck me was that I knew I needed new tires before to long and as we all know those are like $350-$600+ depending on what you want and where you go.

Its always really important to factor in the things you know it needs. Other than that, 3rd gens are VERY well built and have slim to no "typical" problems that will cost more than small change to fix. ALong with age comes repairs and expect it, but know its a yota and will love up to its reputation. If you are looking for a 5sp, make SURE that the tranny is in good shape. My last Tacoma (98' 4x4, 3.4, 5sp) tranny was a lil sketchy in 3d gear. Well after about 9 months of driving it (with syn fluids) and allowing a girl to drive on it, I had to rebuild the tranny (at least 3rd/4th)

G' luck!
Old 09-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the help. Usually I'm very patient when it comes to cars but my car is badly in need of new tires and has a bent rim (amazingly it's holding air right now but I don't think a new tire will be able to keep a seal). The car is a 98 eclipse gsx so the rubber will run about $400 and the rim will cost another $75 or so to have fixed. I was hoping to be able to get into a new truck quickly enough that I can avoid those problems for a little longer. You've all given wise advise however and I might just have to wait and get exactly what I've been looking for. Regardless, It's good to hear that the auto does fine on the pass. Fortunately I have another day or two to make a final decision...

I am somewhat mechanically adept (as long as I have the manual in front of me). It will be an amazing relief to get a toyota under me. My Eclipse has been one problem after another and I'm looking forward to having something I'll feel safe driving to Moab and farther. Thanks again for the replies so far, I'll continue my search and see what happens!
Old 09-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Two things to check for, I believe the 96's with the v6 has a head gasket TSB and a rear suspension recall. get the VIN and check with Toyota to see if it qualifies.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

If you get an auto, make sure the tranny fluid is clean. If dirty, probably was not maintained and may cause major problems down the road.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Two things to check for, I believe the 96's with the v6 has a head gasket TSB and a rear suspension recall. get the VIN and check with Toyota to see if it qualifies.
Eek! Really? One of the reasons I was going for a 3rd generation was to avoid the potential for headgasket problems. I'll check the vin when the guy gets back in town and I can get it from him. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Athansinis
My Eclipse has been one problem after another
Hehe, that's because it's a 2G. Should've got a 1G GSX. Anyways, I just picked up a yota truck as well. Skip the auto as already stated and may your search for a 5-spd be short.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Van91DSM
Hehe, that's because it's a 2G. Should've got a 1G GSX. Anyways, I just picked up a yota truck as well. Skip the auto as already stated and may your search for a 5-spd be short.
Same Van from CoDSM or perhaps that was dsmtalk? You're right, if I ever pick up another dsm, I'll be going with a 1g. I think I'll be getting a bike next time I get the urge to go fast.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:25 PM

That's me. CoDSM and dsmtalk and others, I just moved back home where it's warmer.