YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Idler Arm (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/idler-arm-36773/)

az4x4runner 07-16-2004 11:43 AM

Idler Arm

Is a pickle fork required to remove the idler arm, or have any of you successfully done it without?

Brendan 07-16-2004 11:48 AM

pickle fork or tie rod puller, ya. i'm sure it could be done without one, but it's just so much easier with it. do the job properly and it'll save you time and sanity in the long run.

AgRunner06 07-16-2004 11:51 AM

You can go rent one and then get a full refund when you are finished using it. Just put it on the credit card.

:bounce:

dusty98 07-16-2004 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Silver954Runner
Is a pickle fork required to remove the idler arm, or have any of you successfully done it without?

I just did mine this weekend with a tie rod puller and it was really easy. Slide it on, tighten it down and it pops right out.
Tie rod pullers are around $9 at most auto parts stores. Best $9 tool I've used.

az4x4runner 07-16-2004 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by SizzleChest
do the job properly and it'll save you time and sanity in the long run.

Yeah.. that's for sure, I tried to remove my steering stabilizer without a pickle fork once... :bang:

You can go rent one and then get a full refund when you are finished using it.
Cool, I'll check out AutoZone or something. But if they are really only like $9 or so, maybe I should just buy one.

Thanks.

dusty98 07-16-2004 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silver954Runner
Yeah.. that's for sure, I tried to remove my steering stabilizer without a pickle fork once... :bang:

Cool, I'll check out AutoZone or something. But if they are really only like $9 or so, maybe I should just buy one.

Thanks.

I got mine at a local Harbor Freight tools store. I wasn't sure the quality, but it looked the same as everyone else's in that price range. I used it to remove my idler arm, and my inner/outer tie rods so I got my money's worth from it.
Right tools make the job much more enjoyable.
Have fun!

az4x4runner 07-16-2004 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by golden
I got mine at a local Harbor Freight tools store. I wasn't sure the quality, but it looked the same as everyone else's in that price range. I used it to remove my idler arm, and my inner/outer tie rods so I got my money's worth from it.
Right tools make the job much more enjoyable.
Have fun!

Very true, I always enjoy working on my truck anyway. :D :bounce:

jimbo74 07-17-2004 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i borrowed a pitman are puller set from a cowrker when i lifted my truck... not only can it do pitman arms, but idler arms, tierod ends, and balljoints.....

Cebby 07-17-2004 07:58 PM

You might want to add one of these:

http://pics.montypics.com/cebulak/20...p_pics_006.jpg

I just put one of these on yesterday after I had my new idler installed. Took all of 10 minutes. (Downey Idler Arm Brace)

az4x4runner 07-18-2004 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cebby
You might want to add one of these

I think I may do that. I went and got a tierod puller today for $9, sure did make things easy.

Fink 07-18-2004 05:09 PM

Cebby-

Where'd you get the brace from? That looks like it would be a worth while thing to do...I just had my new arm installed about a month ago...maybe less.

Fink:devil:

jimbo74 07-18-2004 05:12 PM

fink... its a downey product... under $50

Corey 07-18-2004 05:43 PM

Folk's, be sure to check out the Tech section.
I just got Mike's Downey idler arm write-up put up in the Tech section that he submitted tonight.

I think I will do this mod at a later date.

az4x4runner 07-19-2004 10:54 PM

Well my steering seems nice and tight now. Unfortunately I still have my 60-70mph vibration :chair:.

I'm thinking it's a rim now, but noone's ever said anything all the times I've had them balanced... oh well, at least I don't go above 60 around here often :roll:.