YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   I need help (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/i-need-help-57708/)

mattyp12 04-25-2005 03:35 PM

I need help

I am looking at buying a 1991 4Runner. it is a 4 cyl. and only has 116,500 miles. It all looks really straight, but there are a coupe things that concern me. 1) It needs the front end realigned. 2) All 4 tires need to be replaced, and here is the biggie 3) it is making a bad ticking noise. I took it down to a local shop that is big into the 22RE motors and the guy came out and sid - without thinking about it, that is needs the valves adjusted. Now, I had a 1987 4Runner, that never sounded like that. So I am a little nervous about it. What do you all think?? I am told that these things last forever, and my old one had 220,000 on it before it was stolen. I just don't want to get into this and then have MAJOR repairs. By the way - the asking price is $4700. The quicker I hear from you guys - the quicker I will make a decision.

Thanks in advance!!! :great:

Matt

sefus 04-25-2005 03:44 PM

If they can knock the price down to $4000 Id take it. The ticking is honestly really common... but withthat and needing to be aligned and needing tires, Id offer less money and if they meet it, great.

jimbo74 04-25-2005 03:48 PM

$4700 seems like a lot, but if its in great condition you can afford it get it... thats not many miles at all... and the 22re is an awesome engine..... if they are sure its jsut the valves, thats an easy fix...... i would offer $4k and see if they take it... offer $3500 and say sinces its noisy that it needs to get fixed and the tires need to be replaced.... alignments are no big thing... unless there is some type of frame damage, but if it hasnt been in any accidnets or anything then it should be fine...

mattyp12 04-28-2005 03:36 PM

Alright - I bought it... ended up getting it for $4400... I haven't got to the valves yet, but it was a lot dirtier than I thought. So last night and tonight I will be washing and waxing. It looks like the guiy never waxed it, so first I am using some restore stuff (I forget what it's called - my dad uses it on his work truck) and then waxing. I have done the hood and the whol driver's side and wow - what a difference. I am excited to adjust the valves, get it realigned and hit the road! Thanks for the help!!!

Blair 04-28-2005 07:36 PM

THIS kind of thread makes me glad to be a "Yotatecher"!
Good luck with your new ride, mattyp12, welcome to Yotatech. Let the adventures begin and say goodbye to the spare change in your pocket! It's ALL going towards MODS!
Stick around mattyp12...there's lots to learn here and you're going to need all of it!
Post some Pics!!!!!!

mattyp12 04-29-2005 10:36 AM

Thanks for the welcome Blair. I am excited to be a part of this forum. My buddy had an '88 pickup with a 22re, and had to replace the timing chain. He was seaching the web trying to find out how to do it and came across this. He then passed it on to me. This place is great - not only for information and help - but I was just browsing last night and found a video (I forget who posted it) but it was a 4 wheelin' trip of his. It was edited with music and everything - I was very impressed!! It made me want to take the rig out this weekend!! :) Thanks again for the help and the warm welcome - and I look forward to talking with you guys and gals about the bliss they call TOYOTA!!!

FilthyRich 04-29-2005 10:49 AM

Welocme to YT. let's see your ride :great:

mattyp12 04-29-2005 01:48 PM

I hope to be borrowing a buddy's camera this weekend - I hope to post then. But it will of course be after I am done waxing it! :)

Randomness 04-29-2005 05:09 PM

Welcome to YT, man... :D Since your up in WA, check out www.wattora.com for more local wheeling and all that stuff.

green91runner 04-29-2005 05:37 PM

damn! $4400 seems high, the thing must be mint :great: welcome back to the toyota world.