Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I need advice and info on any 3" (body) lift for a 1999 4runner limited v6, please.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need advice and info on any 3" (body) lift for a 1999 4runner limited v6, please.

Can anyone here advise me on what I need to lift the body 3"? I installed the Revtek 3" susp. lift kit about 4 years ago. At that time nobody had any type of body lift for the 1999 4runner. I found one at 4crawler offroad. That's how I found this website. That website has a 3" body lift for around $200. I am ready to order right now. But a good friend of mine who is a total motor-gear/off-road truck/hotrod goo-reu told me to research the kit. This is the first he has seen one too, as he has been looking for the same kit for me for the last several years also. He read through the install instructions and he wants to confirm the simplicity of the install. The site did claim a total of 4 hours to install a 3" body lift. We both find that kind of quick for lifting a truck. Though my friend has his own shop and all the tools we need to do the install, it took us a day and a half to install the 3" Revtek suspension lift. With the body lift at 4crawler offroad (at least I think that is the name of the site), it comes with radiator brackets, bumper relocation brackets, transmission lever extensions, steering rod adapters, basically everything we thought of that would be obvious to lifting the body. After lifting the body you have to adjust the transmission levers, adjust the radiator, bumpers and so on. The spare tire location obviously needs to be modified, if not relocated. It's seems like it would take a day or two. Now, I am not dogging their time-frame claim. It has very descriptive install instructions, with photos. I am hoping someone on this site has either purchased the same lift kit or one like it and can let me in on their own personal experience installing the kit.

Please, anyone who has done this, can you please point me into the right direction.

Thankyou,

Paul

r6_upgrade@yahoo.com
Old 11-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3 inches sounds excessive to me...what are you trying to do?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Everyone on this board, and who owns a 4runner/Tacoma seems to run 4crawler body lifts. I am as well.

I have a 2" lift, and at that, it was pushing the limits on some of the electrical components, and other brackets, etc. 3" might be a little exessive. Id stick with the 2". All you need is the steering column extension, front bumper bracket, and I think that is it. I got the ultimate blocks, they are nice. No worries on the radiator bracket, since you can just pull the lower shroud off in about 10 seconds.

The install is very simple for 1-2" body lifts. I'd imagine with a 3" you'll have to do a little bit more moving of some stuff around the front of the truck. It took me maybe 2-3 hours tops by myself to install this lift. I used air tools though.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:07 PM

you are going to be able to see the whole frame if you do that.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i would go with a real lift kit
Old 11-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elton
i would go with a real lift kit
He already has a "real" lift kit.

To answer the question, I think 4 hrs might be cutting it close, but I work slowly and methodically, because most of this stuff I do is for the first time. Also you will have 2 people, which should speed things up nicely. I only put on a 1" so I didn't have to deal with the shifter stuff and the steering was easier as well. Still, it is a pretty straight forward procedure. And don't worry about the 3" comments. Roger wouldn't sell them if there were problems and I believe he runs 3" on his own rig so he would know.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
He already has a "real" lift kit.

To answer the question, I think 4 hrs might be cutting it close, but I work slowly and methodically, because most of this stuff I do is for the first time. Also you will have 2 people, which should speed things up nicely. I only put on a 1" so I didn't have to deal with the shifter stuff and the steering was easier as well. Still, it is a pretty straight forward procedure. And don't worry about the 3" comments. Roger wouldn't sell them if there were problems and I believe he runs 3" on his own rig so he would know.
I know for a fact there will be more "issues" with a 3" kit. They are easily modified, but, it is more work in general.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:57 PM

JustAnotherT4R over at t4r.org has a 3 Inch bodylift on his 4runner, it's pretty badass too.

Last edited by Fo_SheeZy; 11-25-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
JustAnotherT4R over at t4r.org has a 3 Inch bodylift on his 4runner, it's pretty badass too.

Dang that thing is BAD!! Wheelers is local to me and I've gotten great products from them, haven't seen the bl on their site, but again haven't been on it in a minute. I'm runnin a 2in BL on my 97 that I got from 4crawler(great product and custom hardware.) like mentioned above get the steering extensions, bumper and radiator brackets. 3 in to me sounds big,but its all in what you're doing with your rig just remember there are lots to modify. My buddy and I did mine in around two hours it took me longer to drop the radiator--some of the body mount bolts are interior so you might have to pull a lil bit of carpet back to get at them. I used a hi-lift and piece of 2x4 on the rockers and fender well to get the body up, one side and lil at a time. Good luck, post pics..here's some for ya[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-27-2007, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the insite, and the photos! That first photo was bad ass! That is exactly what mine should look like after I get done. I already took into consideration that the seats and carpet inside will have to be temporarily removed for the project. I understand all the work that will be involved. As far as a lot of extra work for the extra 3", it'll be worth it for me. This is just a project, not a repair type of job. The 4runner was bought 6 years ago with the intent to go off road. I am looking foward to having a good time installing this body lift, even with all the migrane headaches that go along with it. It will also be a good learning experience for me and my neighbor. This will not be the first body lift install for my neighbor though. As far as height, I have the 3" in the suspension, and with the 3" body lift, after I put 35" tires on it I should be set. I am probably going to have to get new rims that are offset. Oh well. I should be able to sell the aftermarket rims I allready purhased. I only have 33" tires right now.

It'll be fun! Thanks again for the info.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy

that's just a 3-inch body lift??? b/c if ya look in the fenderwell, i see what looks to be coil spacers on that front end. looks good though...

Last edited by mikes19984x4; 11-27-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
that's just a 3-inch body lift??? b/c if ya look in the fenderwell, i see what looks to be coil spacers on that front end. looks good though...
It has an OME/Toytec 3" lift (on 18's) as well.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
It has an OME/Toytec 3" lift (on 18's) as well.
yep, i thought it was a 2- or 3-incher from how high it was sitting...
Old 11-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Man those tires look so wide!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 PM

Kinda like this!

Aaron