Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How hard would it be to install a set up REAR ARB thrid member?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard would it be to install a set up REAR ARB thrid member?

I had a question about the installation of the rear ARB set-up 3rd. I have 33" tires and I was just going to take it to a shop and have them change my gears to 4.88's. But I got to thinking if i could do the install myself i would save money on their labor and be able to get an ARB locker in addition to the 4.88 gears. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I installed my lift with a buddy and had no problems doing that. I looked through the tech write up on how to change the rear axle seals and I think could do that no problem. rear axle seal write-up What does installing the rear ARB 3rd member entail. I havent seen any write ups on it. Is it as easy as sliding the axles out, pulling the existing 3rd member and installing the set up ARB 3rd member or is there more to it?

I am not ignoring the running of the airlines or installing the compressor, i can handle that.

Last edited by Nolan; 11-09-2003 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

check out this .pdf I posted in the other thread:

http://home.houston.rr.com/keisur/ARB_RD90.pdf

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&highlight=arb

Yes, basically the rear is that easy to do assuming you buy a whole 3rd already setup with 4.88's and the ARB like I did. but make sure you have some extra nuts on hand and that you know the torque values for the 3rd. the stuck nuts are really soft and if you aren't careful you break one or strip a stud on the 3rd member-to-housing.

Last edited by keisur; 11-09-2003 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by keisur
Yes, basically the rear is that easy to do assuming you buy a whole 3rd already setup with 4.88's and the ARB like I did. but make sure you have some extra nuts on hand and that you know the torque values for the 3rd. the stuck nuts are really soft and if you aren't careful you break one or strip a stud on the 3rd member-to-housing.
Thats exciting to know its as easy as i thought it would be, typically its the opposite.

When people refer to install kits all that has to do with the installation of the gears which they will do and it has nothing to do with the actuall installation of the diff into the housing right?
Old 11-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

You're right, the install kits are for installing the gears into the diff, nothing to do with putting the 3rd in the axle.

I'm planning on doing it myself, I've bought a dial indicator with magnetic base, and have access to a hydraulic press. I also bought the tool I'll need to press the pinion bearing off of the pinion.

Since I'm doing a Supra LSD install, I'm waiting on one Supra carrier bearing I just ordered.

Last edited by 95_4X4Runner; 11-09-2003 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:50 PM

Keisu, Does the dash switch, airlines, and fittings come with the 3rd member when they sent it out to you?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Nolan
Keisu, Does the dash switch, airlines, and fittings come with the 3rd member when they sent it out to you?
the front and rear lockers each come with their repective switch and the compressor comes with it's switch. Whoever installs it for you should also include all documentation and airlines and switches and hardware for the lockers they installed for you. make sure they intend to supply you with all that just incase later on you need to service the lockers or something.

Each locker of mine came with installation manual, operation manual, switch and cover, airline, and nylon wire ties. The compressor came with instructions, misc fittings and solenoids and pressure switch, and wiring harness for a two locker system. You don't have to run a two locker system with the harness you just have to make sure you hook the rear to the right plug.

What I like about it is that the harness prevents engaging the lockers unless the compressor is powered on even if the reserve has enough to engage them. This is good because you don't want to engage them while in motion unless you are going straight. I don't like to chance it so I don't engage it at all if the vehicle is moving, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also the harness doesn't allow the front to be engaged unless the rear is engaged. another good thing.

oh, yea, you don't need the install kit you posted above since you'll be buying a complete 3rd. Unless YOU are supplying the shop with the 3rd, locker, and gears; if that's the case, you need to supply them with a quality master install kit too. I got my stuff from Randy's and let them supply everything. they did ok on the rear 3rd, but the front diff was a different story. Check out THIS thread for my complaints (and patience) with those SOB's.

Last edited by keisur; 11-09-2003 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:26 AM

last question: did the set up 3rd member come with the air fitting already drilled and installed in the housing like this one pictured?
Old 11-15-2003, 07:30 AM

I know its a little different, but i helped installing a set of ARB's into my buddies wrangler. IT took several hours of to set up each, i mean we started at 10 am and when i left at 9pmthey were still working. WE made a set of set up bearings by grinding them out some, that way the figure out the shimming, we didnt have to press the bearings on off a thousand times.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:13 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Wranglers do not have removable 3rd Members. Yota's do. I can remove and install a 3rd in under 2 hours, including making road worthy again (IE tires etc). Its really very simple: Jack it up, take off the tires. Then take off the brake lines, and E-brake cables. Then undo the 14mm bolts holding the axles in. Take the axles out, then undo the 12mm nuts to take the third out. Swap the new one in, then reverse the steps, bleed the brakes, and put your tires on. Viola!
Old 11-15-2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Nolan
last question: did the set up 3rd member come with the air fitting already drilled and installed in the housing like this one pictured?
Yup, all you'll need to do is hook up the airline. This is why ARB installs cost more to set up.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:08 AM

I realize wrnglers dont have removable 3rds. But you are talking about just swaping complete already set up 3rds. I was saying we had to install the new gears, set up the everything. If you buy a 3rd set up with an arb and the right gears, just about anyone can swap it out.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:04 AM

I just bought 3rd members w/4.88s and ARB lockers from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I guessed, I am going to save about $800 - $1000 on labor doing the install my self. I would recommend you go with a differnt air compressor than ARB I have heard nothing but bad things about them.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the case of Toyota diffs, there is no repeated pressing on and off of bearings. The carrier bearings do not use shims, they use adjuster wheels (like a Ford 9") and the pinion bearings slip on & off quite easily. Takes me about an hour to set up a Toyota diff but I've done quite a few. Adding an ARB would roughly double the amount of time needed.

Last edited by toy283; 11-15-2003 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:30 AM

Thanks toy283, This is good to know. I guess we will be able to set it up our selves then. Cause i have heard it costs and arm and a leg to get it installed by a shop. I am olanning on getting me ARB over break, when i have some free time to work on it.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by GRNTACO
I just bought 3rd members w/4.88s and ARB lockers from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I guessed, I am going to save about $800 - $1000 on labor doing the install my self. I would recommend you go with a differnt air compressor than ARB I have heard nothing but bad things about them.
ARB compressors are fine for running the lockers. just make sure you have NO air leaks. If you want a compressor to pump the tires up than choose a different compressor.

Randy's eh? they actually got your order right? They royally screwed mine. you don't happen to have any pics of where the companion flange goes into the housing where the seal is would you? I want to see if they actually did miss something on mine or if that is just how THEY do it. A Pic would be greatly appreciated.

J.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:40 PM

I didn't have any proplems with Randy's and if did it is only a 30 minute drive the their facility.

I am going with the Quickair2 and a Sun Performance air tank.

I have tryed to post the pictures twice now and am tired of re-writing this so i need to read up on how to post multiple pics, but i will figure it out

Ben
Old 11-16-2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by GRNTACO
There isn't really anything wrong with the ARB compressor, there are just better options out there. If I wanted something to use just to operate the lockers, I would not hesitate to go with the ARB compressor. If you are looking more for an onboard air system, the ARB compressor is not right for you...
Old 11-17-2003, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 44Runner
There isn't really anything wrong with the ARB compressor, there are just better options out there. If I wanted something to use just to operate the lockers, I would not hesitate to go with the ARB compressor. If you are looking more for an onboard air system, the ARB compressor is not right for you...
my thoughts exactly.