Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ my thoughts exactly.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skrassow
Jason, can we have some more specifics on this? How much exactly, how to order, etc.
I've created a special order link for this item:

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/ord...=special_43757
Old 07-17-2009, 11:16 AM

Hey thanks, Jason. Im still considering it. Has anyone installed one of these in a Tacoma? Or know if it will fit. The wiring Im sure isnt an issue (should be the same), but it looks like my taco might have a different contour to it. No sunroof.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:39 AM

I'm making an appeal to one of my buddies who lives outside of Tokyo to try and find some in salvage yards. So far no luck, but he's looking.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by skrassow
Hey thanks, Jason. Im still considering it. Has anyone installed one of these in a Tacoma? Or know if it will fit. The wiring Im sure isnt an issue (should be the same), but it looks like my taco might have a different contour to it. No sunroof.
There is a version of the FMU for vehicles without a sunroof but it is a rare find. I'm sure Jason could source one sans sunroof controls from the same mfg.
As for the contour you may have some minor issues around the leading edge but they should not prove insurmountable. The only concern I can see is that the FMU uses the mounts for the roof mounted rear view mirror and the taco has a windshield mounted mirror.
There is a mirror version of the FMU used in GM and Ford cars that can be easily mounted in the taco / newer runners, a member here {I think it was Ritzy} did one of these mods with an excellent write up on it. In any case a search will find the article for you easily...
Old 07-17-2009, 02:59 PM

well its only $599.99 plus shipping....that thing should be shipped for free to whoever pays that much for that thing. the only people that will be impressed you have this mod are people online, all your friends (considering you have some) will make fun of you for spending 600$ on this.

Last edited by 24x4runnersport; 07-17-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Only if you tell them 24x4...
Old 07-17-2009, 03:18 PM

^^ haha true, i guess this is one of those things you tell people you picked it up at a wrecking yard for 10 bucks.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:43 PM

could care less what everyone else thinks. Its for me, not them
Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
There is a version of the FMU for vehicles without a sunroof but it is a rare find. I'm sure Jason could source one sans sunroof controls from the same mfg.
As for the contour you may have some minor issues around the leading edge but they should not prove insurmountable. The only concern I can see is that the FMU uses the mounts for the roof mounted rear view mirror and the taco has a windshield mounted mirror.
There is a mirror version of the FMU used in GM and Ford cars that can be easily mounted in the taco / newer runners, a member here {I think it was Ritzy} did one of these mods with an excellent write up on it. In any case a search will find the article for you easily...
My rear view actually mounts the same as at least some 4runners. I took a look at ritzy's thread (thanks for the tip BTW ) and my mirror/dome lights are exactly like his. The only difference I see is the lack of sunroof control. He mentions in his thread that the FMU uses the screw from the maplights housing as well as one from the sunroof control housing. So I for sure have two of what looks like three. And something tells me that the Taco may indeed have the third hole, I will just need to get under the liner to find it. Its no big deal to have the sunroof model, if it has sunroof controls I should be able to convert those into switches for something else later (lights/battery isolator/winch/etc) Can someone take some measurements of the base of the FMU? That may help me figure out how well it will fit. I still cant tell but it looks like the contour on the Taco is a bit different. So does anyone have one they can measure for me? Just the dimensions of the base, following the contour. thanks!
Old 07-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Oh you must have an early taco then right?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:22 PM

Yup...its a 99 ext cab SR5
Old 01-01-2010, 09:48 PM

So I just installed a field monitor on my 2000 4runner and it looks amazing. Huge thanks to Henry from NZ for sending me a great unit. Used some satin rustoleum outdoor paint to match my interior and it is a great color match.
One problem, I can't get my dimmer function to work. I tried using the green wire on the clock and nothing happened, it stayed dim all the time. Checked the connection and tested the green wire to ground and it lit up so it's not a problem with the FM. I tried tapping into the positive light circuit for the parking lights, and it was
doing the opposite of what it is supposed to (dim w/o lights, bright w/ lights). Has anyone else had this problem on a 2000? TIA,

Eric

Last edited by Mrbikerman; 01-01-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mrbikerman
So I just installed a field monitor on my 2000 4runner and it looks amazing. Huge thanks to Henry from NZ for sending me a great unit. Used some satin rustoleum outdoor paint to match my interior and it is a great color match.
One problem, I can't get my dimmer function to work. I tried using the green wire on the clock and nothing happened, it stayed dim all the time. Checked the connection and tested the green wire to ground and it lit up so it's not a problem with the FM. I tried tapping into the positive light circuit for the parking lights, and it was
doing the opposite of what it is supposed to (dim w/o lights, bright w/ lights). Has anyone else had this problem on a 2000? TIA,

Eric
edit: just read about the LED tails and corner lights affecting the dimming. I just put LEDs in the back lights on the FM itself and it's really bright, looks great, unfortunately it is more difficult to dim an LED then a filament bulb. I'd rather be able to dim it but since my dimmer isn't currently working anyway I'll leave the LEDs in there and use the push button.

SO... Has anyone figured out how to overcome this problem without going back to regular bulbs? If not I'll have to try some resistors and things myself, maybe connect the green to the dimmer knob circuit for the dash lights?

Last edited by Mrbikerman; 01-01-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

there are dimable LEDs you can get... check this site www.superbrightleds.com

Last edited by aviator; 01-01-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:48 AM

Nope, nothing on ledlight.com or superbrightleds.com, but now that I know it's possible, I'll have to figure out how to do it.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mrbikerman
One problem, I can't get my dimmer function to work. I tried using the green wire on the clock and nothing happened, it stayed dim all the time. Checked the connection and tested the green wire to ground and it lit up so it's not a problem with the FM.

Eric
Eric, no I have not figured out a way around it yet. I'm running LED tails and the dimmer feature worked great. As soon as I installed LED bulbs in my front corner lights, the dimmer feature quit working. You could see the FM's display trying to brighten up with my headlights off, but never would. So for a simple fix, I just removed the LED corner bulbs and install stock bulbs in their place. With just LED tail lights the display works fine.

However, I've found one other problem. I installed a Pioneer 4100 DVD HU a few months back (as seen here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...ameras-193146/). In every gear but Drive, the display would stay at full brightness and then dim when I turn my headlights on. However, in the Drive gear, the display would automatically dim all the time...no matter if my headlights were on or not.

After some more testing, I found that my new Pioneer HU was pulling my power than my stock HU, thus interferring w/ the FM's display dimmer feature. Here's a bit of more info: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/f...-other-193601/. For a quick fix, I just cut the FM wire at the green wire on the clock. Now my FM stays in a constant stay of dim (as if my headlights were on all the time.) My Pioneer's display works properly now, but it sucks my FM's display is dim during the day. Great at night though. I'm sure there's a work around for my specific issue, I just have not had time to tinker around with it.

Have you experienced this type of problem yet?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:30 AM

Interesting, you and I have very similar tastes, I installed a pioneer 4100 DVD in September. Unfortunately I have not experienced the same problem, although I have had some other issues with that HU.

I was thinking, do they make relays that are normally closed, and then when the relay is activated it opens the circuit instead of the other way around? That would make it really easy to fix this problem.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

The problem with the dimmer is feature is one of either resistance or load depending on how you look at it... the autodimmer feature functions on the resistance or increased circuit load caused by the incandescent bulbs when you switch to LEDs (which have a much lower resistance and load) all around you fell below the min. "trigger" level by changing back to normal bulbs up front you restored the load and "triggering" functioned again.
There was a post here in one of the LED threads with the fix for this problem all you need to do is add a resister in line with LED bulbs to bring the resistance of the circuit back to "normal". I don't remember the specific Ohm resister that was needed but either a search here might find it or else check with customer support at superbrightled they should be able to tell you what to get.
Rockslide you may also be able to use this fix in a similar manner to get the fmu dimmer working again as well.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aviator
Rockslide you may also be able to use this fix in a similar manner to get the fmu dimmer working again as well.
I dunno, maybe. The Pioneer just pulls more amps than the stock HU did. Not real sure at the moment on how to increase the juice to the FM display, yet keep the dimmer function active.

Quick Reply: Hilux Surf Field Monitor installed in a 3rd Gen Write-Up *PICS*