Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hilux surf field monitor - I need one

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilux surf field monitor - I need one

I need a hilux surf field monitor - I will pay generously for one. I need it for the climate that I am in and field of work I do. I need a monitor that includes the shroud for the sun roof model along with the temp. gauge. I just joined the forum so i haven't got my profile up yet; but I have a 2002 4runner sport.

My apology goes out to the webmasters; I believe I posted this thread in the wrong place before.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure you want one, who doesn't?? I seriously doubt anyone on here has one they'd be willing to part with though. Your best best is going to be ebay. Besides, I'm sure there's even better technology on today's market that can do 3 times as much as theses oem FMs can. Personally, I'd go that route if my work depended on it.

However, if you're dead set on a FM, there's been one for sale on ebay.uk for some time...don't know if it's still for sale or not, but I can check when I get home tonight (I don't have access to ebay here at work.)

Do you already know how to wire them up? If not, check out my write up. It also includes write ups other members have done on these units. If you get your hands on a working FM, these installs may help you along the way:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...up-pics-94277/

Last edited by Rock Slide; 09-19-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
...Besides, I'm sure there's even better technology on today's market that can do 3 times as much as theses oem FMs can...
Please do tell!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

I'd have to do a search. As a said, I'm "sure" there's something more readily available that can do much more. I never said there actually was.

These FMs only have 4 basic functions:

Altimeter
Barometer
Compass
Temp Gauge (in Celsius)

I'm "sure" there are devices on today's market that can do all that plus a ton more. Seems feasible too me.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
However, if you're dead set on a FM, there's been one for sale on ebay.uk for some time...don't know if it's still for sale or not, but I can check when I get home tonight (I don't have access to ebay here at work.)[/url]
Just checked and it's no longer for sale.

Keep an eye out on ebay...one always seems to pop up there.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:23 PM

Thanks for all of your info. and yes, I read your article several times; very informative.

I found an extremely similar model made by Subaru that is an aftermarket, so it doesn't plug into the ECM. It's about $200.00 and includes the temp sensor (called the Subaro Forester gauge pack). However, a custom housing would have to be made; which I could probably be able to pull off.. I know there are better things out there; the garmin 376 does it all, including streaming nexrad weather radar; but it's pricey and requires xm membership.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Where are you located? If you're outside the US, you'll have a much better chance at coming across a used FM. Otherwise if you live here in the States, you'll just have to be patient and wait for one to pop up on ebay. I've seen them go for $125 - $350 easy.

I checked out that garmin...it's nice, but you're right, it's pricey too.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:58 PM

Hi there,

There is one listed in Yahoo Japan Auction site and is going for 2,000 JPY or about $20 only (before tax and shipping)! However, I am not sure if could find an agent in U.S. who can bid on your behalf as Japanese normally don't ship overseas. Click on the following link you'll find the listing:

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e79952312

I reside in Malaysia and use a local agent by the name of Paulson. He may be able to help you if you wishes. Look for his site at www.bidtrdae.com.my for his contact details and you will know how it works. (Please note that Malaysian time is GMT +8)

Tell him that CL Loh gives you this info.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so nice of you to let us in on this klwood and I will hold back.....justjacked best of luck with this.

FYI toytech76 has a supercharger also for our Runners- see YOTA TECH Marketplace....

.maybe if I distract the enemy I can swoop in for a kill....
Old 09-19-2008, 08:53 PM

Smile

Well, being one of only few owners of 4runner/hilux surf in Malaysia, I learned a lot from this forum and it is time for me to give back. Hope the info will be useful....There are plenty of JDM Hilux surf items for sale in Japan's Yahoo site and hope you all could get what you want...

Click on the following link to find out more ....

http://search1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/...ale=0jp&mode=1

Best of luck...
Old 09-19-2008, 11:02 PM

Thanks for all of the info. RockSlide, I live at the base of South Lake Tahoe on the Nevada side. We all breathe in about 12 lbs. of dirt here..it's a wheelers paradise ; also close to the rubicon.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by klwood
...Japanese normally don't ship overseas...
HERE is an outfit that handles Japan bidding/purchasing for foreign buyers. I personally haven't used their services but I've heard they are reliable.