YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   HID bulbs? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/hid-bulbs-6780/)

Los Gatos? 02-20-2003 04:26 PM

HID bulbs?

I want some HID bulbs, but I'm worried about them burning out all the time or not giving me enough light, what's the skinny on them? I want to avoid really exspensive ones, my lights work pretty good now, would like a bit more output/broader beam, but it's not worth more than $60 or so to me.

Diablo3305 02-20-2003 04:30 PM

well for that money you won't even get a bulb. I think you mean the fake HID's. The real retrofits go for 300+ ...good ones are about 450 i think. Those have a very long life. I plan on putting a retrofit kit in my 03 soon. If you wnat something brighter, i think there were some threads about brighter halogens that you can get. I know the silverstars are brighter than stock, but I think there are better ones out there.

Los Gatos? 02-20-2003 04:37 PM

Jesus....well in that case I just want better bulbs, I guess? What can I do for a brighter/wider beam? Would the fake hids do it?

keisur 02-20-2003 04:47 PM

for $300+ you might as well just add a light bar and a couple Warn 500's, that'll pretty much light the walkway.

Los Gatos? 02-20-2003 05:14 PM

Well what can I do for $60? Anything? If not, that's okay...I've never had any HUGE problems with the stock lights....

Vato Loco 02-20-2003 05:26 PM

http://pics.montypics.com/TRD_4Runne...ite_bulbs3.jpg
http://pics.montypics.com/TRD_4Runne...hite_bulbs.jpg
http://pics.montypics.com/TRD_4Runne...ite_bulbs2.jpg

Los Gatos? 02-20-2003 05:47 PM

What are those?? HIDs or fakes or what? How is the output compared to stockers?

ALee27 02-20-2003 10:11 PM

just get sylvania silverstars, $30-$40 a pair, clean white beam, not blue, reliable.

NerfHerder-97SR5- 02-21-2003 01:15 AM

There is NO SUCH THING as a aftermarket HID bulb, only a HID conversion kit which from what little I know about it is a expensicve hassle that may or may not be available for runners. There are however HID imitation bulbs which attempt to imitate the look of the HID's. But dont trust them, my PIAA super whites just burned out this week, I replaced them with my stock bulbs.

x4RunnerTM7x 02-21-2003 02:24 AM

i have real HIDs and they are so so worth the money...the whole street lights up....i can never by a non HID car or truck again...there are h4 HID kits out there..there is never a "4runner" kit...its plug and play....stock plug to balast and balast to HID bulb that is made to fit into a H4 socket... no cutting no mess

Rick F. 02-21-2003 02:53 AM

Do a search on the Sylvania Silverstars. They are brighter than stock and don't have that harsh glare. Don't expect miracles, but there is a noticeable difference. As ALee27 said, about $30-40/pair at most auto parts stores. I paid $40 and mailed in a $10 rebate.

keisur 02-21-2003 06:10 AM

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
Well what can I do for $60? Anything? If not, that's okay...I've never had any HUGE problems with the stock lights....

haha, I spent 20 bucks at walmart for some sylvania's. they are brighter and whiter than the stock ones but they aren't as blinding as the 75-450 buck ones. they aren't hid's. they work for me and when I hit the brights, it is noticeably brighter than the stocks I had.

Los Gatos? 02-21-2003 07:52 AM

Well that's good, I can spend $30 for an improvement over stock. To tell you the truth SOME of those HID type bulbs are really annoying to me when other people have them (the high glare factor) so I'd prefer to be gentle on other people's eyes anyway.

Zeus 02-21-2003 12:33 PM

I have been doing some research on HIDs.

For everything you want to know on HIDs click this link:

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.htm

J-Spec posted this eariler.

Los Gatos? 02-21-2003 12:48 PM

The sylvania fake HIDs are $50 locally...I asked if they'd pricematch to $40....they laughed at me, they said you'll never get gen-u-wine HIDs like this for anything even close to $50. I said okay fine, do you carry rotors , yes, of course they do...60 a piece, I asked what kind and he wouldn't tell me. He said they were OE spec. The pads were 35 each, no lifetime warranty. I didn't even ask the brand. This was at Advanced Auto Parts. I am never going back, they clearly don't know their stuff and those prices are whack. I wish I had an auto zone around here :cry:

Mad Chemist 02-21-2003 12:52 PM

Silvania Silverstars

I just put Silverstars in a couple weeks ago, definitely noticeable difference, more "white" than yellow. Think I paid about 60.00 (guess I should have gone to Walmart???). PIAA also puts out several different sets of bulbs that are much higher in intensity than OEM lights. I think both PIAA and Sylvanie approach the intensity, but do not match HID, but are a whole lot cheaper. I think with Silverstars and some crystal clear lenses (check out Jason Burtman's site, the new clear lenses on 99 and newer 4-runners are compatible on the older ones (I think?)) would do the trick. I think my lenses need to be adjusted though, with the new bulbs I get flashed a bit, people think I've got my high beams on! I guess that means there must be some difference, since I only changed bulbs, not lense positioning?

Los Gatos? 02-21-2003 01:31 PM

I know I could easily look this up somewhere, but what silverstars would a 2nd gen need? I believe it is the 9007/HB5 (55 watt / 65 watt), but I could be mistaken?

Mad Chemist 02-21-2003 01:36 PM

Shoot, I'm not sure- I know the 3rd gens use HB4's. Best bet is to just look in the book when you run to the parts store, they'd be able to tell you.

Los Gatos? 02-21-2003 01:38 PM

Well after going to AAP and being all pissed at them, I decided I'd order online. suvparts.com has them for $40...plus $10 rebate = $30. That's roughly half what AAP wanted. :D I'll check my repair manual and find out...

keisur 02-21-2003 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
The sylvania fake HIDs are $50 locally...I asked if they'd pricematch to $40....they laughed at me, they said you'll never get gen-u-wine HIDs like this for anything even close to $50. I said okay fine, do you carry rotors , yes, of course they do...60 a piece, I asked what kind and he wouldn't tell me. He said they were OE spec. The pads were 35 each, no lifetime warranty. I didn't even ask the brand. This was at Advanced Auto Parts. I am never going back, they clearly don't know their stuff and those prices are whack. I wish I had an auto zone around here :cry:

dude, go to NWOR's site and order one of their catalogs. they have rotors and all kinds of schidt that is better than that cracker jack stuff. don't go cheap on the toyota, treat it well and it'll treat you well. everyone here will agree with me on that.

White SR5 02-21-2003 04:48 PM

Best HID Immitation Bulbs

The best immitation HID bulbs out there are the ones I have. They are 90w low beam and 100w high beam. Stock and almost all immitation HID bulbs are 80/100w. I found mine on eBaY for $50, but there are a bunch of these immitation ones there that don't do much at all. Look for MotionR 6000K Xenon bulbs. Those are the brand I got. And when/if you get them, turn your headlights on after you have replaced only one. You will really be amazed. I was. So far I've had them in 7 months with no problems. I even accdentally got water in the headliht housing once when I was cleaing my engine, but they are still bright, white and running fine. A tip: it is imperative that you don't touch the glass part of the bulb because the xenon and krypton gasses inside are attracted to the oils from your fingers. If by accident you do end up touching them, clean them of with an alcohol pad or dip them in Isopropynol (rubbing alcohol) and wave them dry. If someone can teach me how to post a photo, I can show you the comparison between my bulbs and my mother's stock bulbs in her Land Cruiser. I'm not sure if they're on eBaY now, but if you ever see the name, jump on it.

Zach:eek2: