YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Hesitation ( I searched ) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/hesitation-i-searched-100677/)

jla123 11-30-2006 01:02 PM

Hesitation ( I searched )

99 runner, 3.4L hesitates off the line, then has good pickup/response. Replaced fuel filter, TPS sensor, new plugs not wires though, cleaned throttle body, cleaned K N air filter. Would dirty MAF cause this? Coils? Throttle cable seems tight. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Elton 11-30-2006 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by jla123 (Post 50350596)
k&n air filter. Would dirty MAF cause this

gotta love those filters clean the maf sensor also have you reoiled it ?

jla123 11-30-2006 05:27 PM

yes i oiled the filter. ill clean MAF too.

rimpainter.com 11-30-2006 05:41 PM

Can you describe the hesitation a bit more? Is it an AT or MT?

jla123 11-30-2006 08:18 PM

its an automatic. when I press the gas pedal at a stop or when coasting slowly it feels like the throttle almost jerks, like the engine tries to catch up. you hear the engine rev for a split second then it then it goes. this only happens at a dead stop or coasting very slowly. even when i had the engine running and opened the throttle by hand you can notice as soon as you open the throttle there is immediate hesitation, but then it responds normal. if you very slowly gradually accelerate its not noticeable. thanks for any help.

YotaFun 11-30-2006 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by jla123 (Post 50351002)
its an automatic. when I press the gas pedal at a stop or when coasting slowly it feels like the throttle almost jerks, like the engine tries to catch up. you hear the engine rev for a split second then it then it goes. this only happens at a dead stop or coasting very slowly. even when i had the engine running and opened the throttle by hand you can notice as soon as you open the throttle there is immediate hesitation, but then it responds normal. if you very slowly gradually accelerate its not noticeable. thanks for any help.

I notice a slight hesitation in my 97' but always thought it was normal...
I guess I always thought that it just needed it's time to calculate that oyu actually have the pedal to the floor...
Never a real problem for me...
Wish I had a Manual trans though...
An Automatic always makes hesitations like that worse
(same was in my 95' olds..)

jla123 12-01-2006 06:37 AM

I have had a 2000 Taco with same engine and this was not an issue. The Taco would jump as soon as you touched the gas pedal.

ugadawg95 12-01-2006 07:32 AM

I just had a similar issue...it was the plug wires. Since I replaced them, I have had no issues. If they are the original wires...they need to be replaced. When I pulled the boot off of #4, the metal contact stayed on the plug. I had to get some looooog needle nose to get the connector off. That was the cause of the problem I had. The code even indicated #4 was causing the CEL.

sdstud212001 12-01-2006 08:04 AM

Are there any codes that need to be pulled? (check engine light on?)

YotaFun 12-01-2006 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ugadawg95 (Post 50351287)
I just had a similar issue...it was the plug wires. Since I replaced them, I have had no issues. If they are the original wires...they need to be replaced. When I pulled the boot off of #4, the metal contact stayed on the plug. I had to get some looooog needle nose to get the connector off. That was the cause of the problem I had. The code even indicated #4 was causing the CEL.

I am replacing my plugs soon... I guess I will look into some wires too...

rimpainter.com 12-01-2006 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by jla123 (Post 50351002)
its an automatic. when I press the gas pedal at a stop or when coasting slowly it feels like the throttle almost jerks, like the engine tries to catch up.

Have you checked the fluid level in the AT?

jla123 12-01-2006 11:48 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll replace the wires, needs to be done anyways. I do not have a CEL on. Have not check AT fluid.

I have a completely new issue today!! I was turning left at about 5-10 MPH and the truck cuts off. No power steering, no power brakes, radio is still on and didn't cut off, CEL, Battery, dash lights on. Put it in Park and takes two tries to start then runs fine. Had starter replaced 2-3 weeks ago, and battery replaced 5-6 months ago. Now I'm freaked out because it was impossible to turn and impossible to stop, if this happened when I was going faster it could have been bad.

rimpainter.com 12-01-2006 01:27 PM

That sounds like a relay or the ALT. The battery only starts the vehicle, the ALT takes it from there (under normal circumstances).