Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help diagnosing problem w/ our "new" 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help diagnosing problem w/ our "new" 4Runner

I haven't browsed any threads here for a while! We recently bought a '98 4Runner Limited for my wife, and we absolutely love the truck, but we have encountered a few issues. I will post up some pics soon, it even has the blingin' "Gold Pkg" And yes she likes the gold emblems and running boards so they are staying. I've already asked if I could remove them! LOL

First of all some details of the truck. It has approx. 98,000 miles, automatic, 2wd, and of course it has the 5vz-fe. We have some service history on the truck (from carfax and the Toyota dealership we bought it from), but not all of it. The engine runs very smoothly, no rough idle, hesitation, etc. Spark plugs, wires, PCV, air filter, and oil were all recently changed.

Now the problems. The first "issue" we noticed was the alarm system went off for apparently no reason the other night (it was in the garage). I've done some research on similar problems and we decided to take it to a audio/alarm shop (Car Toys) and have them install a new alarm. The install manager there said it really didn't need a new alarm (he checked all the connections and wires), but he noticed the sensitivity was set very high and that was adjusted. So far no more false alarms but we'll see.

Now the other problem, which is more troubling. Yesterday my wife was running some errands, the weather has been warm here so she had the A/C on. The truck stalled while she was waiting at a stop light, but she didn't even notice until she pressed on the gas pedal. She was able to start the truck again, but it stalled at the next light. No check engine or warning lights have been triggered. Like I said before the idle is very smooth and seems normal, so I'm guessing this could be electrical?? I drove the 4Runner to work this morning, and without the A/C on I didn't have any problems. On my way home I will run the A/C to see if I can recreate the problem. If it is electrical gremlins, I have no idea what the A/C being on could have to do with it??

Any ideas or suggestions? I know it's very hard to diagnose problems on the internet, but I wanted to get some opinions before going to the dealership. At this point we are just guessing at what the problem could be. TIA!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 AM

i still have the same problem with my alarm going off for no reason and going off when its raining. i unplugged my siren because nobody pays attention to sounding alarms anymore.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by cosmophonic12
i still have the same problem with my alarm going off for no reason and going off when its raining. i unplugged my siren because nobody pays attention to sounding alarms anymore.
From what I've read it's a common problem, but it can be hard to track down. I know ours is the dealer installed alarm and the guys at Car Toys were very familiar with it. If we have any more problems with it we are going to have a new alarm installed. That may be the easiest way to fix the problem and keep the alarm system and keyless entry. But you're right, people ignore car alarms!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Alarm just sounds like the adjustment you talked about.

As for the AC, i don't see any corelation between the AC being on, and the truck dying. AC idle up is electronically controlled, so it wouldn't be a vacuum leak. My only thought there, is a weak alternator/battery and when the AC comes on, it causes too much of a draw which shuts the truck down. Sort of a left field guess, but might be one to check. You can take your truck to autozone or schucks and have them check that stuff for free.

Other than that, online diagnosis is pretty hard, especially when someone isn't there to see the problem happen, or experience what it does when it dies.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Alarm just sounds like the adjustment you talked about.

As for the AC, i don't see any corelation between the AC being on, and the truck dying. AC idle up is electronically controlled, so it wouldn't be a vacuum leak. My only thought there, is a weak alternator/battery and when the AC comes on, it causes too much of a draw which shuts the truck down. Sort of a left field guess, but might be one to check. You can take your truck to autozone or schucks and have them check that stuff for free.

Other than that, online diagnosis is pretty hard, especially when someone isn't there to see the problem happen, or experience what it does when it dies.

I thought about the battery and/or alternator being the culprit, but the strange thing is the truck starts up without any hesitation so I don't *think* it's the battery. We have noticed a "spinning noise" (for lack of a better term) after the engine starts. Could that possibly be the alternator or starter making that noise?

Thanks DC for the suggestions, I'm just trying to get a better feel for what this might be.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a spinning noise for a while, then I figured out that the rear heater fan was on.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by skjos
I had a spinning noise for a while, then I figured out that the rear heater fan was on.

We don't have the rear air vents in our 4Runner, I'm not sure if that was available for our model year? Ours also doesn't have climate control. But thanks for the suggestion! It has leather, fog lights, moonroof, auto dimming mirror w/ temp display, and the best of all........AUTO-REVERSE CASETTE DECK!!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 PM

I had some similar problems when I first got mine too.....

turns out neither the dealer nor I knew that it had a remote starter....

I guess the thing was malfunctioning.....it almost left me stranded and would lock and unlock my truck in the middle of the ghetto on its own sometimes....

I knew something was up when I came out to my truck once and it was running and locked me out!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
I had some similar problems when I first got mine too.....

turns out neither the dealer nor I knew that it had a remote starter....

I guess the thing was malfunctioning.....it almost left me stranded and would lock and unlock my truck in the middle of the ghetto on its own sometimes....

I knew something was up when I came out to my truck once and it was running and locked me out!
If it had a remote starter, would there be a specific button on the remote to activate it? Our remotes only have the Lock/Unlock/Panic buttons.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About the vehical stalling problem w/,w/o AC on when comming to a stop...Most likely the IAC(Idle Air speed Control Valve) is sticking intermittantly and needs to be cleaned(located on under side of throttle body)...I would clean the IAC,throttle body,and MAF(mass air flow meter)..This is a very common problem on higher milage 5VZ's(IAC)..If the IAC sticks there will be no warning ..check engine,ect....

What would happen is as you came to a stop(brake on/foot off gas),vehical would turn off..like turning key to off...then start right up and be normal for a while untill it sticks again...Only associated code it would be if the IAC actually went open or short electrically..Which is very very rare....

FYI,the IAC is controlled by the comuter ..so when you turn "on" A/C or defrost the computer steps the internal IAC solinoid to open more(to let air bypass throttle body butterfy plate to raise RPM speed)...So if it sticks,the computer is powering it,but it dosen't move as fast as it should or at all and vehical stalls...since there was no short or open..will not see any codes..current or history with a scanner.

One other possibility is the TPS contacts(idle) going open intermittantly,but most of the time there will be a code associated with the TPS...TPS are reasonably priced,so if you want..you could put one in along with IAC cleaning,MAF cleaning,throttle body cleaning...

Hope that helps.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:55 PM

Man it sure is nice having super smart people on this board. =)
Old 02-27-2009, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by 97ltd4x4
About the vehical stalling problem w/,w/o AC on when comming to a stop...Most likely the IAC(Idle Air speed Control Valve) is sticking intermittantly and needs to be cleaned(located on under side of throttle body)...I would clean the IAC,throttle body,and MAF(mass air flow meter)..This is a very common problem on higher milage 5VZ's(IAC)..If the IAC sticks there will be no warning ..check engine,ect....

What would happen is as you came to a stop(brake on/foot off gas),vehical would turn off..like turning key to off...then start right up and be normal for a while untill it sticks again...Only associated code it would be if the IAC actually went open or short electrically..Which is very very rare....

FYI,the IAC is controlled by the comuter ..so when you turn "on" A/C or defrost the computer steps the internal IAC solinoid to open more(to let air bypass throttle body butterfy plate to raise RPM speed)...So if it sticks,the computer is powering it,but it dosen't move as fast as it should or at all and vehical stalls...since there was no short or open..will not see any codes..current or history with a scanner.

One other possibility is the TPS contacts(idle) going open intermittantly,but most of the time there will be a code associated with the TPS...TPS are reasonably priced,so if you want..you could put one in along with IAC cleaning,MAF cleaning,throttle body cleaning...

Hope that helps.
That does help!! What you describe with the IAC sticking sounds exactly like what is happening with our 4runner. There are no check engine lights, and it just died with zero warning (so far only w/ the AC on at idle). The radio, etc. continues to work also. I did use the AC on my way home from work yesterday and the truck ran just fine, so it is a random occurrence that this happens.

I'm gonna look up some info on cleaning the IAC, throttle body, and MAF. It shouldn't be too difficult right? I don't want to make things worse!

Last edited by TexanTaco; 02-27-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by skjos
Man it sure is nice having super smart people on this board. =)
Amen to that!!