Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP! 4wd won't engage / Traction Display Just Flashes '99 LTD

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! 4wd won't engage / Traction Display Just Flashes '99 LTD

Hi all, just picked up my '99 LTD this weekend and drove it home (400 miles), and I have to say LOVE IT!!!

Thanks to all that talked me into the auto, I think that it is already growing on me.

(I did know that the 4wd system had issues when I bought it, but that helped to get the price down)

I already used "search" and I will check out the vacuum lines tomorrow, but is there anything else to try while I'm tearing it apart.

Symptoms:
The traction display (1 orange and 4 green dots) steadily flashes no matter what the traction setting is, even when in 2HI. When I press the AWD button, or change to any setting, the lights stop flashing for 2-3 sec then start flashing again. I don't hear the regualr 4wd clicking noises.

I'm not familiar with how the 4wd system works on this model yet, especially with an Auto (first auto ever). So could someone tell me what the main components in this system are, and what might cause this, or how to troubleshoot, etc.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 02-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yoda-g2
Hi all, just picked up my '99 LTD this weekend and drove it home (400 miles), and I have to say LOVE IT!!!

Thanks to all that talked me into the auto, I think that it is already growing on me.

(I did know that the 4wd system had issues when I bought it, but that helped to get the price down)

I already used "search" and I will check out the vacuum lines tomorrow, but is there anything else to try while I'm tearing it apart.

Symptoms:
The traction display (1 orange and 4 green dots) steadily flashes no matter what the traction setting is, even when in 2HI. When I press the AWD button, or change to any setting, the lights stop flashing for 2-3 sec then start flashing again. I don't hear the regualr 4wd clicking noises.

I'm not familiar with how the 4wd system works on this model yet, especially with an Auto (first auto ever). So could someone tell me what the main components in this system are, and what might cause this, or how to troubleshoot, etc.

Thanks in advance!!!
Sounds like the locker and 4x4 is not engaging both at the same time!!!
Does engaging or disengaging the locker do anything?
You may have one compunding problem there.

Here is a link where someone had similar:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...4+engage+light

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-22-2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

That is without engaging the locker, when I try to engage the locker in 4lo the same lights keep flashing in addition to the "diff lock" light(never stays steady like it should). I assume that this is due to the locker "safety features" being unable to verify that the vehicle is in 4lo due to whatever the other problem is.

It definitely goes into Low range, just the front axles / hubs (don't know how the 3rd gens work ) doesn't engage.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 3rd gens have ADD (I think that's what it's called). Auto-Disconnecting Differential or something... Anyway, it sounds like you have a vacuum problem. I'd start at the transfer case vacuum line and work my way back to the engine compartment. If the vac system is in tact, then you may have an ADD actuator out - but that would be pretty rare. More than likely, it's just a lose vacuum line. Good luck and congrats on the purchase. You'll love it!
Old 02-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
The 3rd gens have ADD (I think that's what it's called). Auto-Disconnecting Differential or something... Anyway, it sounds like you have a vacuum problem. I'd start at the transfer case vacuum line and work my way back to the engine compartment. If the vac system is in tact, then you may have an ADD actuator out - but that would be pretty rare. More than likely, it's just a lose vacuum line. Good luck and congrats on the purchase. You'll love it!
Here is a quick thread on the vaccum issue too:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ransfer+vacuum
Old 02-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Sounds like the locker and 4x4 is not engaging both at the same time!!!
Does engaging or disengaging the locker do anything?
You may have one compunding problem there.

Here is a link where someone had similar:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...4+engage+light
Just saw your edit, thanks for the link. I read through it and yes I did the whole back and forth, in and out of 4wd thing in a parking lot for almost a half an hour and it never engaged correctly. The guy actually had the 4wd fuse pulled, (to hide the flashing lights I'm assuming), so I had to yank the wiper fuse to test it out.

I just find it odd that the lights flash even when I'm just in 2wd, it must be some diagnostic mode or something. I will try banging on the tranfer case when I'm under there though and see if it is just frozen up a little.

Keep them coming!!
Old 02-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Just saw your edit, thanks for the link. I read through it and yes I did the whole back and forth, in and out of 4wd thing in a parking lot for almost a half an hour and it never engaged correctly. The guy actually had the 4wd fuse pulled, (to hide the flashing lights I'm assuming), so I had to yank the wiper fuse to test it out.

I just find it odd that the lights flash even when I'm just in 2wd, it must be some diagnostic mode or something. I will try banging on the tranfer case when I'm under there though and see if it is just frozen up a little.

Keep them coming!!

I would be something is frozen or not moving.
Make sure the transfercase and both diffs are full of fluid.

Also check the front driveshaft while someone else drives by (so 4x4 works or not).
Old 02-22-2004, 11:19 PM

I had a Montero that did that for awhile. The previos owner never used 4wheel drive. I would just drive with it flashing until it kicked in, and then switch back to 2 wheel and let it flash until it quit. Probably would have been better to just lube and change everything, but I did not have anywhere to do it, and all my tools were in storage at the time. If the vacuum leak doesn't pan out, try lubing and servicing.
Aaron
Old 02-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks all, I'l give this stuff a try hopefully in the next couple of days and let you know how it worked out!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:56 PM

Symptoms:

Thanks in advance!!!
I had a similar recent problem on my 99 LTD 4WD.. I had posted the problem over at 4x4wire. Click on the link for details.

In summary, it is normal for it take a few seconds or sometimes longer to engage the 4WD. pushing the button should only enable the AWD (4 green lights only. Bring the lever to 4HL (straight down) will enable the 4 leds plus the center orange (center differential/transfer case locked).

Link

Last edited by CTapia; 02-23-2004 at 01:58 PM. Reason: link correction
Old 02-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

I had a very simular problem with mine, it would not go into all wheel drive mode at all and when it did it would take FOREVER to come out--days even?

The dealer replaced the actuator in the front diff and that fixed my problem, now it goes into 4wheel instantly! Yes I noticed that before it was graduly getting worse to the point it stoped shifting!
This seems the most promising fix.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:47 PM

Yet another good reason not to buy any 4-wheel-drive that does not have levers and manual hubs. There are some things that just dont automate very well.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by alabamatoy
Yet another good reason not to buy any 4-wheel-drive that does not have levers and manual hubs. There are some things that just dont automate very well.
Not sure I buy that.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Not sure I buy that.
From the looks of your avatar, I would guess not.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by alabamatoy
From the looks of your avatar, I would guess not.
Well, to each his own.