Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

guys with SS1.2 lift, what is your driveline angle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guys with SS1.2 lift, what is your driveline angle?

I've some transmission problems recently and spent some time and whole lot $$$. it just seems not going away. i had a long conversation with Marlin Crawler this afternoon discussing the fix. one thing they mentioned was the driveline angle.

i measured mine with a protractor, the angle between the rear 3rdmember flange and drive shaft is 4 degrees. i was told if it's more than 2 degree there will cause problems with t-case, tranny, clutch(which i got them all), < 1.5 degrees will be the best. honestly, this is the very first time i've even heard about the term "pinion shims".

would you mind chime in on that, and let's know what's your angle measurement?

thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
http://4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml

that link will give you an idea of how to fix the problem. The other option is to re weld the the spring perches.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 PM

thanks, and i read the whole thing(kinda), thou not understanding much of the technical details, i got an idea. problem is all that was with leaf springs and i have coil springs. how to fix that?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
damn sorry i failed to look at the year of your runner, at least you have the idea now. I am not familiar enough with the the runner links on the rear axle. but in some way you will need to either lengthen the top links or shorten the bottom links, and im sure there is no adjusters to the stock link.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:04 PM

If you haven't done so already I would strongly suggest you e-mail or call steve at Sonoran Steel. Since he designed and tested the 1.2 he would be best to answer your question. I have a 2000 with the 1.2 and have put 8k miles on it (some towing my camper) and have not had any tranny or rear end issues.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 PM

called steve last week, also few buds with the same setup(different year), none of them even heard of this issue. i ordered another set of clutch kit just in case when the shop opens is up, find some broken parts need to be replaced.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
called steve last week, also few buds with the same setup(different year), none of them even heard of this issue. i ordered another set of clutch kit just in case when the shop opens is up, find some broken parts need to be replaced.
When you lift the rear of the 3rd Gen 4Runner the links are designed to point the diff at the right angle at any height. The guy at Marlin Crawler thinks 3rd Gens have rear leaf springs. The problem is your re-built transmission, all of your problems stated when that was installed. Not when you installed your lift.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:15 PM

the tranny shop is trying to say the problem was the clutch not the transmission, i understand that. all the Marlin guys(3 of them i talked to) wanted to say was it's not their parts' problem. i understand that, too. the part throw me off was when i told the guy at marlin what you said about "four link plus track bar suspension system will point the diff at the right angle at any height", his answer, i quote:"it doesn't matter what you got, anytime you lift a truck, you need to adjust rotate the axle perch to fix the drive line angle, every truck we lifted here have that done." that, was the last time i called Marlin.
i got the new clutch kit friday and have an appointment with the shop some time this week TBD, i'm trying to get it done while i'm there. i have had the drive shaft checked out by an axle specialty shop, the double cardan and U-joint are good, balance is still in spec., at least i got that part off the possible problem list.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Go outside, put a jack under your rear bumper, raise the vehicle up to like 12" of lift. While you are doing so watch as the pumpkin rotates with the height. Toyota designed it to work this way.

Also I have been to Marlins shop, they only work on the really older trucks, they honestly don't know 3rd Gens very well.

Not much without leaf springs around there. If it was the lift, someone else out of the thousands would have experienced the issue, inclucing myself on my vehicle which is a lot higher. You should have got your transmission from Marlin, not just the clutch. The problem is with the tranny or t-case. Not the clutch.