Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gradual Loss of Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gradual Loss of Transmission

Hello!

New owner of a 1999 4Runner 4WD 5VZ-FE. On a hot day I was driving through some stoplights when suddenly I lost ALMOST all my power (but not all) to the wheels. After turning the car off and starting again I recovered a little more power but still much decreased and arrived at my destination. 4 hours later started it up, much improved, but barely made it home as each time I went up a hill I started slipping until no power was being transmitted to the wheels.

Idling/Reving without any difficulty. Engine Light was on prior but codes still read only an O2 sensor/"too lean" code.

Brown Transmission fluid well over "full" marks on the transmission dipstick, normal appearing coolant (No "strawberry milkshake").

I tried switching into reverse, low gear, 4H, 4L, 2H everything and it made no difference.

I sure would appreciate it if someone could tell me where to start. Could this be a solenoid?
Old 06-13-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The thing all forward and reverse gears this has in common in the torque converter. I don't have any testing procedures, but might help in your seaching.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by vasinvictor
The thing all forward and reverse gears this has in common in the torque converter. I don't have any testing procedures, but might help in your seaching.
Also hydraulic pump/pressure
Old 06-13-2016, 10:22 AM

Can you re-confirm that the transmission oil is beyond the full mark? if so, by how much?
Old 06-13-2016, 11:10 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by godfearer22005
Hello!

New owner of a 1999 4Runner 4WD 5VZ-FE. On a hot day I was driving through some stoplights when suddenly I lost ALMOST all my power (but not all) to the wheels. After turning the car off and starting again I recovered a little more power but still much decreased and arrived at my destination. 4 hours later started it up, much improved, but barely made it home as each time I went up a hill I started slipping until no power was being transmitted to the wheels.

Idling/Reving without any difficulty. Engine Light was on prior but codes still read only an O2 sensor/"too lean" code.

Brown Transmission fluid well over "full" marks on the transmission dipstick, normal appearing coolant (No "strawberry milkshake").

I tried switching into reverse, low gear, 4H, 4L, 2H everything and it made no difference.

I sure would appreciate it if someone could tell me where to start. Could this be a solenoid?

Brown is not normal....or good. Verify that you are really checking the auto tranny dip stick. I believe the procedure is check it in PARK with it warmed up and engine idling.

Brown means the fluid is burnt. Change it out with new pink fluid. Might require 2 or 3 changes to get the brown out. Maybe a full flush at the Lube Pit or one of those type places is a good idea.

Then get an external tranny cooler

Could a clogged fuel filter cause your issue with power?
Old 06-13-2016, 11:45 AM

If you transmission fluid is brown, It needs to be changed filter and all. Also how many miles are on it and has it had regular service in its life?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:55 PM

Thanks

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I will read more about Torque Converter and Hydraulic Pump.

I am checking the right dipstick and yes it is about 3 inches above the upper limit of the "hot" marks after starting the engine at idle in park.

I'd be interested to know if a clogged filter could be causing these symptoms.

It has 267k and while I'd like to say it has gotten regular maintenance...I just bought it and I really can't say for sure. FWIW I know the timing belt got changed at 200k so I think it has gotten some maintenance.

I feel pretty confident its not a solenoid. I'd like to drain and fill the transmission but given the severity of the symptoms I'd like a more substantive repair.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by godfearer22005
Thank you everyone for the advice.

I will read more about Torque Converter and Hydraulic Pump.

I am checking the right dipstick and yes it is about 3 inches above the upper limit of the "hot" marks after starting the engine at idle in park.

I'd be interested to know if a clogged filter could be causing these symptoms.

It has 267k and while I'd like to say it has gotten regular maintenance...I just bought it and I really can't say for sure. FWIW I know the timing belt got changed at 200k so I think it has gotten some maintenance.

I feel pretty confident its not a solenoid. I'd like to drain and fill the transmission but given the severity of the symptoms I'd like a more substantive repair.
For the amount of mileage you specified, are the gears slipping or shifting rough? If so, I would drive it till the transmission dies. You can change the fluid, however, if it hasn't had regular service (flushed every 30K or 40K) changing the fluid could kill it.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, that's WAY too much fluid! Drain and fill it a couple/few times. Overfilled trans can do some really weird things. Foaming fluid comes to mind, and you can imaging it won't run well with foam in the tranny. There is no filter in the a340, there's only a mesh screen thing to catch particles, so don't worry about pulling the pan just yet.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just purchased? Possible trans failure? 267,000 miles?
Damn!!!