Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Got Slammed Into Today... pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got Slammed Into Today... pics

So it snowed a tiny little bit last night and today and it proved to be too much for some. On my lunch break today I was going down the highway with a truck in front of me and came upon a fireman holding a stop sign in the road because there was an accident ahead. The truck and I came to a stop and about 20 seconds later a Dodge Ram pickup came around and WHAM! Got my rear bumper, taillight, pass. side rear 1/4 panel, and looks like maybe the hatch is not closing straight either. Then it bounced me off to the side (we were on snow/ice) and then she rear-ended the truck in front of me too!

At first I was a little pissed just because I love my runner so much and hate to see it get hurt, but I think it might end up being a pretty big check from her (the girl that ran into me) insurance company. I'm sure the rear 1/4 panel is an expensive part and doesn't look like it can be repaired (not that i'd be cool with a bondo job anyways). I'm actually thinking it may even be totalled because I have almost 200K on the odo so I'll have to show them receipts for the mods I've done. If I have to, I'll buy it back as a salvage and then it's going to become a true trail rig! Either way, I think I'll be getting that new CBI tire-carrier bumper I've been eyeballing...

Old 04-12-2010, 02:33 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Well, hate to see the bad luck. But its now offroad bumper shopping time for you. I ASSUME the guy had insurance. That still sucks dude, hope it works out well with the insurance company.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
That is not totaled, they will fix the truck.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
That is not totaled, they will fix the truck.
Sweet, I'm glad you said that cuz if anyone knows it's you!
Old 04-12-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Well, hate to see the bad luck. But its now offroad bumper shopping time for you. I ASSUME the guy had insurance. That still sucks dude, hope it works out well with the insurance company.
Thanks, hopefully I'll just get some new mods out of the deal so maybe it's a blessing in disguise! (She) did have insurance but the mexican in the truck in front of me took off before we could talk to him so I think it's safe to say he didn't (even though it's her fault), haha.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
hahaha. Nice. Those CBI bumpers look sweet. There is a couple guys around here that make some good looking bumpers too

Tube
www.badlandbumpers.com

Plate - I wonder if they could add a tire carrier? hmmm
www.perkinsperformance.com
Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the links, I guess I have some research to do now...
Old 04-12-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you get hit? the street. Did an officer show up?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM

I got hit on Hwy 18 up here in Arrowhead. No officer, but the fireman (holding the stop sign) witnessed it and I happened to recognize him from around here so if I need to, I'm sure he'll give a statement. I would've called the CHP under normal circumstances, but it was freezing and snowing on us and since I passed 4 other accidents in 10 miles before this happened, I wasn't going to sit and wait a few hours for the cops to come.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:00 PM

That sucks man hope you get somethin good outta it. I got some taillights from my 99 If u wanna buy one or both for cheap. Unless u plan on using the insurance money to go LED which I'm sure if they are quoting parts from the dealer or dealer-like store one stock tail is gonna cost the same as a pair of LEDs off eBay Good luck!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 PM

how did the ARB hold up from where you hit the guy in front of you? Hope everything works out good
Old 04-12-2010, 04:39 PM

you'll need to replace the bumper, bumper supports and taillight. you can prob repair the corner yourself. I think you can get a real nice bumper and other mods with the ins check.

hopefully the passenger side bumper support didn't push the underside in.

Last edited by dallison; 04-12-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by stockwell45
how did the ARB hold up from where you hit the guy in front of you? Hope everything works out good
I didn't hit the guy in front of me, she did! She hit me first and sent me off sideways like a pool ball, then she continued on straight ahead slammed into the guy in front of me. My truck moved about 5ft to the left because we were on ice. I must say, the front end of her Dodge Ram looked a lot worse than my ass end. 4Runner - 1 / Dodge - 0.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dallison
hopefully the passenger side bumper support didn't push the underside in.
From what I could see while it was snowing on me, the underside looks fine so that's good. I'm going to try to bring it in to get an estimate tomorrow so we'll see what they say...
Old 04-12-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
I got hit on Hwy 18 up here in Arrowhead. No officer, but the fireman (holding the stop sign) witnessed it and I happened to recognize him from around here so if I need to, I'm sure he'll give a statement. I would've called the CHP under normal circumstances, but it was freezing and snowing on us and since I passed 4 other accidents in 10 miles before this happened, I wasn't going to sit and wait a few hours for the cops to come.
Wouldnt have taken that long, pm me and ill shoot you a number that might help you out should you ever need an officer.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 PM

That's not bad at all,, it's just a flesh wound
Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
get a new tail light and run it as is

Last edited by Elton; 04-14-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Make sure the body is not damaged where the bumper bolts underneath the rear cargo area. You can pull up the carpet and see if it's bowed.
When I got rear ended it not only bent that area but also tore a body seam just behind the corner of the bumper near where the hatch closes.
One other thing that happened, since I was sitting with the brakes on, the front lower control arm bushings split. I tried to get that covered as well but the insurance denied it.

When I first looked at it after getting hit, it did not look that bad, looked like I could just bolt on a new bumper. I told the lady that hit me I'd just bolt a new bumper on if I could and she could just pay for the bumper, avoiding insurance hassles. Luckily a friend of mine in parts used to work at a body shop and was able to point out the common areas of damage.
Make sure you look over the rear body area good. Mine came to close to 3k to fix at the body shop.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the good advice. I went and got an estimate yesterday and it was for about $2800. I haven't lifted the carpet but I will before the adjuster comes to look at it and I'll make sure there isn't any more damage. It looks ok from underneath. Since I was on ice, it allowed my truck to slide after she hit me so I think that absorbed a lot of the impact. I can see how the front LCA bushing could be affected if the force got transfered on dry ground.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For being rear ended your truck looks pretty good, You are a lucky man sir. Hopefully the insurance takes care of you and you get some sweet mods out of the deal. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Got Slammed Into Today... pics