Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

FYI...viberations at around 50+ MPH...driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI...viberations at around 50+ MPH...driveshaft

Figure I post this since it could add to some use for others with some related problems. Not sure how it happen, but my guess is when I was driving down a rough dirt road a couple of days prior to noticing a vibration starting at around 55mph and on. It really didnt get worse at higher speeds only it sounded like I would have had really knobby tires and I dont. So to troubleshoot I jacked the rearend up, placed it on hard stand jacks, placed it in Drive and ran it up to see if I could duplicate the problem. I took the tires/drums off the second time to make sure they were out of the pic and basically it came down to the driveshaft, being the easiest to work with. Hoping it was not the rear end itself, I took the drive shaft to get it rebalanced and luckily the Mech said it was definitely out of balance but he said if the vibration does not go away it might need a rebuild (which pissed me off when he said it still had a little vibe and I'm thinking it could of costed me the about the same if he would of just called me to rebuilt it while he had it out of my truck). Of course, the vibration was still there and no improvement either so pissed off I went and bought a brand new drive shaft. I didnt want to risk spending more money and trusting someone else to try and fix the problem and nothing change but a new-used driveshaft. At least I would have a brand new driveshaft installed if nothing changed. R2 the driveshaft and what you know the vibration is gone. Glad it was not the rearend or something worse. That was about 6 months ago around 190K miles and still running strong.

'97 4runner 2WD 3.4L