Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fuel Mixture/CAT questions and URD S/C kit update.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Mixture/CAT questions and URD S/C kit update.

Hi folks; well, I took the plunge and had Gadget's URD S/C kit installled (took the shop 10 days to install it - the majority of that time was waiting for a gasket that was only 5 blocks away - but that's a different story).

Anyway, the kit was eventually installed but the shop-owner called and said he had performed a flow-test on the exhaust system and found that I had 9 lbs of pressure in front of the CAT and 6 lbs after. He recommended a "hi-flow" CAT and new muffler - I agreed with the result being 3 lbs of pressure. So, yesterday pm (and $2,200 CDN lighter), I pick up the 4runner. Everything seems to be running fine but it wasn't the performance jump I expected - I attributed this to not having tuned the FTC (something I was going to arrange with a dyno-shop) - I don't have the OBD II scanner which would allow me to see the Fuel Trims so I'm sort of stuck having my work sent out.

Well, I get close to home (approximately 1/2 hour driving time from the shop) and suddenly my 4Runner sounds like the bastard child of a Honda Civic and a John Deere tractor. (Tinny and LOUD). I get home and look underneath at the exhaust - I couldn't see anything loose, broken or cracked (by this time the shop was closed and it does not open until Monday).

This morning I took the vehicle to a local muffler shop which said that I had "blown my CAT". They also said it could be due to a too rich or too lean condition (the rear of the CAT was discoloured due to the heat and the muffler guys could feel the exhaust coming out of the seams). My fuel mileage is lousy so I am assuming I have an overly rich condition.

My question is whether any of you had ever "blown a CAT" to the point where exhaust is coming out of its seams? And what comments do you have about the "too rich" fuel mixture possibly causing it (I have parked the 4Runner until Monday am when I will take it back to the install shop). I would like to have some knowledge about what I am dealing with before taking the shop's advice).

I am extremely grateful for all the assistance that you guys have provided to me so far (however, this is partially your fault because Yotatech gave me "mod fever" )

Thanks for any information you can provide;

James

oops - forgot vehicle details
2000 4Runner
3.4 l A/T
TRD S/C with URD upgrade kit
I live in Calgary - altitude is approximately 3000 feet ASL

Last edited by Homer666; 01-29-2005 at 08:20 AM.