Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fuel Gauge Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had that same "once in a great while problem" as well.
Every so often .........my gauge reads higher than I think it should and after stopping and turning the car of and on.........it goes beck to it's
"always near empty " position.

*************So if our tanks are only holding 16.1 gallons........is that not a great part of the problem right there??
Barely on full?

When I try to put more than that in the tank over a few fill ups, the charcoal cannister spews gas odors everywhere.

Kenny S>
Old 01-13-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
What did you do to fix the problem....glad you were not in the TSB I would not wish this problem on anyone.
Change out the sending unit and suction tube assembly. The sending unit that I got had a different part number than what was listed in the TSB for the revised sending unit. Don't know if toyota updated since the TSB was sent out.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wormhole
Change out the sending unit and suction tube assembly. The sending unit that I got had a different part number than what was listed in the TSB for the revised sending unit. Don't know if toyota updated since the TSB was sent out.
Thanks! I may have to try it....not crazy about dropping the tank though.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:52 PM

Thanks! I may have to try it....not crazy about dropping the tank though.
So have you decided to give it a try??

It's been almost two weeks since I got it fixed and my mileage has returned to normal. I can run a little over 300 miles a tank of fuel.

Last edited by wormhole; 01-26-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by claudebadly
does any one know if that TSB works for a 2000 tacoma 3.4 5 speed manual?
or is it 4 runner specific?
this is what i want to know, my 03 taco does funny stuff with the fuel gauge
Old 02-03-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, i'm there too. my fuel guage is starting to missread and behave alot like wormhole's. any ideas?

worm if you dont mind my asking; how much did you shell out for the fix?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:03 PM

So i just used the code reader, which came back with nothing. All systems go.

Anyone have any ideas? My fuel guage is really annoying me, plus its not safe for the type of driving that i do...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wormhole
So have you decided to give it a try??

It's been almost two weeks since I got it fixed and my mileage has returned to normal. I can run a little over 300 miles a tank of fuel.
Actually no, my 4Runner has been in the shop for about 2 1/2 weeks. I had the rear end replaced on it after a wreck in 2005, and it began to leak from the right axle seal. State farm warranteed it for life. I took it in to have it worked on while I was out of town and there was a problem getting an adjuster there in a timely manner. That and I was out of town so I didn't communicate with them. I also had a leaking freeze plug that had to be replaced and the shop got backed up...thus I have been without it for a while. I am getting it back Friday but I am really busy at work right now so I will probably not get to it until later in the spring.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 PM

Wormhole,

Understand one thing. The 2000 4Runner has a know fuel guage and tank problem. I ordered my 4Runner in April of 1999. It was the first one off the boat at Gulf States Toyota port in Houston. Shortly after getting it I found the same problem you are having. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the 3rd board in the instrument panel (which by the way resets the odometer). The problem continued. They had no answer, but gave me the TSB which you have about setting it. I set it with little change. I would drive about 12 miles and my gauge would be below 3/4. I ended up calibrating mine myself by parking it on a hill and then doing the procedure you describe. It made my gauge a lot more accurate, but did not solve the problem at hand. My 4runner is supposed to hold 18.5 gallons. It does not! Though it is capable of it...or should be. I have run out of gas 3 times in my 4runner and I mean out! Two of the times, I coasted to the pump (man was I lucky). Both times it would only take 16.1 gallons not 18.5.

There is a later TSB that discusses the entire problem in depth. Part of the problem was the 3rd board, part was the sender (I think), and the other problem is the return line that makes the pump shut off is too long. I do not remember the full TSB, but it tells what needs to be done to fix it. I have argued long and hard with Toyota over this. My problem presented early and they had no answer. I did not find the TSB until my 4Runner was out of warranty, thus they would not fix it unless I paid them $400. I consider this a safety issue, because one time I ran out in sub freezing temperatures with my pregnant wife in the car. But good ol' Toyota...not a recall...a TSB....stupid don't you think! This problem only affected early 2000 4runners and some late '99's I believe.

My gauge did have one weird problem one time. I was pulling a trailer and getting real bad gas mileage due to the weight and the wind I was driving in. I pulled into a gas station to get a drink and the 4Runner stalled....the gauge read 1/2 tank. I turned the key off and back on, then it read empty....never figured that on out.

Anyway...just wanted to pass this on, as you may not have as much gas in that tank as you think when the light comes on. Your tank like many 2000 4runners may not allow you to fill it up completely. Hope this helps.
I had the same issue with my '99 gauge not going all the way to full. So I decided to top it off... nearly five gallons latter and still no spill-over I gave up trying to "fill" it. This brought the gauge closer to full. I thought there was a problem with the venting so I replaced the tank, pump, sender and tubes with a used set. This brought the gauge to full but I can still force three to five gallons in after the pump kicks off. In conclusion the tank will hold 18.5 gallons but it will only easily accept 13.5.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 AM

I would like to reset my fuel gauge but I don't have the buzzer anymore. The instructions say to hold for 5 seconds and the buzzer will sound for a second. I'm wondering if I hold it longer, will it cause any problems?