YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Fresh Tech (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/fresh-tech-10231/)

Corey 05-04-2003 12:42 PM

Fresh Tech

Ducky has submitted a write-up to disable the Day Time Running Light (DRLs) in the Tech section.

Look for it under the "Electrical" category.

Andrey 05-04-2003 01:06 PM

I liked this part:

Remember to Plug back in the connector to the relay, it may sound stupid, but after these pictures were taken, I got distracted and forgot... then I wondered why my
headlights were not working.... Woops...
And believe it or not, I forgot to connect my connector as well when I was doing my fog lights. At first I was upset thinking I screwed something up, but after remembering plug that connector back, what a relief that was for me to see my headlights working again! So trust me, that does sound as a pretty *important* step, hehe :)

tomus1000 05-04-2003 04:03 PM

What trucks actually get DRL's? Mine does not have them.

Andrey 05-04-2003 04:19 PM

Originally posted by tomus1000
What trucks actually get DRL's? Mine does not have them.
My 2001 4Runner has DRL. If I'm not mistaken, DRL is an option at the time of purchase.

By the way, what is exactly the purpose of disabling daytime running lights?

tomus1000 05-04-2003 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Andrey
My 2001 4Runner has DRL. If I'm not mistaken, DRL is an option at the time of purchase.

By the way, what is exactly the purpose of disabling daytime running lights?

The only one that I know of is, you need to kill your lights when approaching a security check point in the military. I am sure others will chime in with other reasons.

Vato Loco 05-04-2003 06:13 PM

Yeah Im just wondering but what are the benefits of not having any DRL's?

Bob_98SR5 05-04-2003 08:48 PM

Anyone have instructions on how to put DRLs in? I'd do it in a heartbeat if it was under $50.

Bob

L33T35T 4Runner 05-04-2003 08:50 PM

Tech
This section contains write-ups on tech & modifications our members have done 4-23-03 More articles added/ 3.0 starter R&R

hmm.. looks like you forgot to change something ;)

PhxTRDRunner 05-04-2003 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Anyone have instructions on how to put DRLs in? I'd do it in a heartbeat if it was under $50.

Bob

Bob, you could do it for about $1.25, the cost of a relay. You would just need to wire a relay to the headlamp turn on wire and from the ignition switch. If you are interested, I can give you a diagram and even wire colors. ;)

Corey 05-04-2003 09:01 PM

Originally posted by L33T35T 4Runner
Tech
This section contains write-ups on tech & modifications our members have done 4-23-03 More articles added/ 3.0 starter R&R

hmm.. looks like you forgot to change something ;)

All in good time, I have a personal life to besides YotaTech ;)
It will be done this week.

Bob_98SR5 05-04-2003 09:26 PM

PhxTRDRunner,

Are you kidding me, a buck-twenty five?!!? Sure, please send it to me. :D

Wow, great way to start off the week. Yotatech rocks.

Bob

AUJWE 05-04-2003 10:25 PM

I looked under my dash to try to find the DRL box and I have a grey box. Same size and all as the black one in the pictures. I was looking right above the gas pedal and it was the only box there. Does anyone else have a plain grey box there? This is on a 2000 SR5. I would love to disable my DRLs.

midiwall 05-04-2003 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Vato Loco
Yeah Im just wondering but what are the benefits of not having any DRL's?
I remember a buddy complaining that it was a pain to "park" with his GF when it was cold out since if he had the engine running to keep the interior warm, then the DRL's were on. :)

Erc 05-05-2003 06:28 AM

Originally posted by mpulver
I remember a buddy complaining that it was a pain to "park" with his GF when it was cold out since if he had the engine running to keep the interior warm, then the DRL's were on. :)
If you kill the engine, pull up the e-brake and restart the engine, the lights will not turn on until you release the e-brake.

Corey 05-05-2003 06:45 AM

I hate DRLs, and would not want them, and this would be the first mod I'd do if I had a rig with them.

At Boeing one of my jobs was driving an in-house package delivery truck.
I was like a UPS driver for Boeing, one of my many duties :D

The truck had DRLs on it, and when coming to the guard shack in the morning or at night when it's dark, they don't want lights on.
I had to push the parking break in a bit, and that would cut the DRLs off.

Tatsuo 05-05-2003 08:34 AM

DRL's also hurt your gas mileage, although an almost unnoticeable amount.

escobar400 05-05-2003 10:52 AM

what is the purpose of DRLs? if i wanted my lights on id turn them on.

What if you were trying to catch somebody creeping out of their house and you had to do the bum rush on them with the bill club the DRLs would give your presence away...

ALBPM 05-05-2003 11:12 AM

I must be weird because I like having them......

I traded in a 93' white 4-Runner without DRLs (white being statistically the safest color).... for a gold 02' with DRLs.

I have had far fewer people pull out in front of me with the DRLs than without. It would be nice to be able to turn them off if I need to be sneaky though.

Andrey 05-05-2003 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Tatsuo
DRL's also hurt your gas mileage, although an almost unnoticeable amount.
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Where exactly are you getting this information from?

-- Andrey

Andrey 05-05-2003 11:20 AM

Originally posted by escobar400
what is the purpose of DRLs? if i wanted my lights on id turn them on.
Daytime Running Lights are for safety. It is much easier to see the car with headlights turned on from a distance than the car w/o headlights on. In many areas of Arizona there are actually places of the road where headlights must be turned on all the time so other drivers can see you coming. And believe it or not, DRL really help in that case.

And for those people who for some reason don't want DRL, all it takes is just a gentle pull of emergency break, and DRL won't come on until the break is released.

-- Andrey