Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

FMU Sensor - JDM parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
FMU Sensor - JDM parts

Many thanks to blarchitect for his finding the Sensor part number for our FMU. I was able to locate a Toyota dealer in Carson, California who was able to locate one in a warehouse in Ontario, Calif, so I ordered the part. When I went to install the new sensor, I had a problem. Seems the FMU I got from New Zealand with the sensor was either the wrong sensor (which I think may be the case) or there is two different sensors out there. I am inclined to believe the that I was just sent a sensor from another vehicle and not the one from a HiLux Surf.

If you have a Field Monitoring Unit in your Runner or are looking to find one, review this article for the part number and picture of the sensor. The one I received is identical to the one in the article.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a...n-pics-141520/

Bottom line for me was that it would not fit the connector end I had. Not wanting to cut and splice the sensor wires, the only option I had left was to use the old connector with the new sensor. I had to 'de-pin' both sensors. Once you understand how Toyota builds their connectors, it really isn't too difficult to do. Ended up doing the swap and after some other modifcation to the mounting, I was able to get it installed and the temp now reads within 1 degree Celcius of what I have for a farenheit. It is so nice to not have to try to figure in my head what the temp is really supposed to be.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear you got it working .

I ordered one of these sensors last week and it arrived today at the dealer. (Figured, why not have one as a backup in case my original one gets damaged .) When I get a chance to swing by and pick it up, I'll see if I can swap it in my 4Runner and test it out. I'll keep you updated on the status of it.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Glad to hear you got it working .

I ordered one of these sensors last week and it arrived today at the dealer. (Figured, why not have one as a backup in case my original one gets damaged .) When I get a chance to swing by and pick it up, I'll see if I can swap it in my 4Runner and test it out. I'll keep you updated on the status of it.
Hey Rock wanted to ask you about this but does your OEM sensor you got with your FMU look like the replacement? It was late and I didn't have my camera handy and I wanted to just 'git er done'. Yeah will be interested to know if yours is also a go.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by RunnerUp

This is what my sensor looks like that came with my unit when I bought it off eBay from New Zealand. I have more pics in my FMU install write up but the new sensor that is supposed to be the correct one is WAY different (see the link above) so I had to take the connectors on both units apart then put the pins from the new sensor into the connector on the old sensor.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

I have not picked up my replacement sensor yet (planning on doing that today), but my original sensor that came with the FMU, looks just like the one blarchitect recently purchased in the link you posted above.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Ritzy, I picked up my extra sensor at the dealer today...it looks identical to the one that my FMU came with originally. Don't know when I'll get to test it out, but I'm sure it will work just fine since it's the same thing I've already got installed.

As far as your original sensor is concerned, I think you were sold the wrong one originally. I've come across quite a few of these FMUs w/ sensors in the last year or two and this is the first time I've seen a sensor (like the one you posted above) be paired with a FMU. Oh well, at least you got it figured out!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ritzy, your original sensor from NZ isn't a compatible one. When the FSM pops up on ebay now and again,the sensor normally supplied is exactly like the one I bought and Rock Slide has.
I had to make wiring connections as I didn't have the OEM plug. Just make sure you seal it up good and make removable connections in the engine bay.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:03 AM

Thanks blarchitect, but I think I may have this issue fixed for now. I used my older mount/connector, I just had to de-pin both sensors and then push the new pins into the old connector. I figured out how Toyota uses those connectors so I was able to take it apart without destroying the connector. I still have to figure out a better way to mount the 'loose' end of the sensor shroud. I am trying to secure it to my original sensor mount bracket I have installed so as to protect the new sensor. I was able to install it in a perfect location below and behind my left front head light so it gets plenty of cooling air so it doesn't really read the engine bay temp. From what I can tell right now the temp is a lot closer to real temps then before. Thanks again for the heads up.