Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Firestone airbags installed...questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestone airbags installed...questions.

So I installed my Firestone kit the other day. Everything went pretty well but I have a few questions.

1. I purchased the 2" spacer kit because various online stores say that if you have the TRD option that you need the spacers. Now that the kit is installed I'm really not sure that the spacers are necessary. There's some pictures below, what do you guys think? It seems like the bags are really squished in there when they are at the minimun pressure (what i'm running with no load in truck). There's also pics of each side while it is jacked up by the frame (at full droop) so you can see what they look like with the suspension fully stretched out. I feel like the when the car is sitting unloaded the bags should sit how they do right now when they wheel is jacked off the ground by the frame and when jacked up they should be stretched out more. It looks to me like they could handle the droop without the spacers. Opinions?

2. As you can see in the pictures the right side bag sits off center (left to right not front to rear). I don't really understand why. There is only on way and one specific location that the mounting brackets can go. There is no play left and right in how they are mounted. The left and right side are mounted the same way so I don't understand why the right side is so misaligned compared to the left. Any ideas as to why it's like that?

Here's the pictures:

Left bag from rear, wheels on ground:

Left bag from front, wheels on ground:

Left bag from front, while jacked up:

Left bag from rear, while jacked up:

Right from front, wheels on ground:

Right from rear, wheels on ground:

Right from front, jacked up:

Right from rear, jacked up:

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pics.

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:24 PM

You shouldn't need the spacers. I have the Firestone airbags on my 03 Tacoma DBL Cab TRD. I have Bilstein 5100's on the front on the middle setting and 5100's in the rear also. With 10.5psi in the bags the truck is level front to back. I also have a ARE shell on the truck.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 AM

Id get them spacers out. No need for them.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:01 AM

yea, i took em out later that day and my truck drives so much better. they bags look way happier now too. I was wondering what all the hype was about until last night. With those spacers the truck rode super stick and had no travel....now it rides just like it used to with 5 psi and when i load up ill be able to ride level still. what a relief.