Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Finished our 1st-gen 4runner 22RE rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Finished our 1st-gen 4runner 22RE rebuild with pics

Last month while towing a small trailer we lost a piston ring on the #3 piston.
Having full compression go into the oil pan pumped oil out the dipstick, thru the pcv system and vacum hoses filling the upper plenum with oil (dripping out of throttle body). All of this required MAJOR cleaning.

Luckly it did no damage to the motor or head. The PO had a repair order showing that the motor was rebuilt only 30k miles ago so we chose not to over-bore.

Finding out that the head we had has been shaved beyond limit we order from LC Engineering their Street EFI head with cam, Pistons and rings, new rocker arm rack assembly and their timing chain kit. I am impressed with the quality of all their parts and their customer service.

We used a Toyota head gasket and NAPA for all the other less important gaskets.

The motor is back together and have just started the break in procedures.

The truck is going to get a cat-back on Monday, we already have a Downey header.

Cant wait to see how much more POWER the new HI-PO head will have. LC said at least 20HP gain.

Last edited by SoCal4Running; 06-24-2004 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Adding pictures.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCal4Running
Last month while towing a small trailer we lost a piston ring on the #3 piston.
Having full compression go into the oil pan pumped oil out the dipstick, thru the pcv system and vacum hoses filling the upper plenum with oil (dripping out of throttle body). All of this required MAJOR cleaning.

Luckly it did no damage to the motor or head. The PO had a repair order showing that the motor was rebuilt only 30k miles ago so we chose not to over-bore.

Finding out that the head we had has been shaved beyond limit we order from LC Engineering their Street EFI head with cam, Pistons and rings, new rocker arm rack assembly and their timing chain kit. I am impressed with the quality of all their parts and their customer service.

We used a Toyota head gasket and NAPA for all the other less important gaskets.

The motor is back together and have just started the break in procedures.

The truck is going to get a cat-back on Monday, we already have a Downey header.

Cant wait to see how much more POWER the new HI-PO head will have. LC said at least 20HP gain.
That sounds really great, keep us updated. I'm at the babying stages for my engine, I need it to survive this last year of school so I can rebuild it when I have a perminant job. Did you take any pics of your rebuild?

Thanks,

Erich
Old 06-23-2004, 04:40 PM

Pics will be up soon.

The new exhaust sounds great, Dynomax muffler 2 1/4 pipe. Its not really loud (thats what my mustang is for) but is perfect for a daily driver.

The motor runs really strong, hills that I used to have to downsift for I now go up with no problem. I would say that from 2500-3500rpm is where the big improvement is, although there is more torque down low too.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:46 PM

Got the new exhaust installed on Monday and can definatly feel the difference . The local shop call Richards Performace Mufflers did the install in about 2 hours.

We now have about 270 miles on the motor and not one problem has come up. I think I might either get a Toyota thermostat or drill a very small hole in the replacement we got from Napa.

Was having problem getting descent pictures on here so you can see some at
http://1320fastback.mypicgallery.com/