YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Exhaust for my truck? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/exhaust-my-truck-7626/)

cmw680 03-13-2003 07:22 AM

Exhaust for my truck?

I have a 3.4L V6 and was wndering what you guys recommend as far as exhaust systmes for my truck. i want kinda a mellow tone, but do not want to sound like those lil honda civic's.

Thanks,
chad

TDiddy 03-13-2003 07:37 AM

Hey Chad,

Welcome to the boards! Your first stop should be to visit Corey's Exhaust Page . There's sound clips from other members covering a few different brands of setups.

Personally, I have an 18" Magnaflow and I love it.

loosehead 03-13-2003 07:37 AM

Check the exhaust comparison on Corey's Exhaust Page . Give 'em all alisten, its really hard to go wrong with these engines, they don't sound ricey at all. I have a copy of the Magnaflow called the Xcelerator, it sounds a lot like the Magnaflow, but also very similar to the Jardine system, and I've been really happy with it.

loosehead 03-13-2003 07:38 AM

Dang Tom, you were a couple seconds faster than me! Seems like this always happens on these exhaust questions...

TDiddy 03-13-2003 07:41 AM

Haha, I noticed that too. I was just getting ready to make a similar 2nd post, until I saw yours come in. Should we go for best outta 3?:laugh:

loosehead 03-13-2003 07:45 AM

Originally posted by mertztr
Haha, I noticed that too. I was just getting ready to make a similar 2nd post, until I saw yours come in. Should we go for best outta 3?:laugh:
Nah, Ill let you have this one.
:D
:woo:

cmw680 03-13-2003 07:56 AM

Thanks for all ya'lls help....i just dont want my truck to sound like a pissed off bumble bee.. What do ya'll think of the flowmaster?

Later,
Chad

rimpainter.com 03-13-2003 07:59 AM

Welcome to the boards! Do a search on this topic. You will find a ton of info.

Click on my sig for another exhaust idea. I should have my sound bytes up soon, as soon as Corey accepts QT ;)

loosehead 03-13-2003 09:03 AM

Originally posted by cmw680
Thanks for all ya'lls help....i just dont want my truck to sound like a pissed off bumble bee.. What do ya'll think of the flowmaster?

Later,
Chad

Chad-

Flowmasters sound pretty good on these engines. Keep in mind that the 40 series is louder than the 50 series. Both are nice though, just depends on what you are looking for. The best thing to do is to call some local shops and see what they are willing to do for you. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy the muffler you want and then have a shop install it for you. Summit Racing has great prices on flowmaster and dynomax mufflers. Remember that exhaust pipe is measured by inside diameter, and your truck should have 2 1/4 inch I.D. pipe. Search and read some old posts about this as it comes up a lot and there is a ton of info on here about peoples impressions of different exhausts. Let us know if you have any more Q's.

Cheers,

SLC Punk 03-13-2003 10:10 AM

I bought a Flowmaster 60 series. From what the muffler shop told me, they are made for 4-6 cyl vehilces, and are designed to cut out the "raspy" high pitched sound.

I also didn't want it to resonate inside the cabin when I am on the freeway, so that's another reason why I got the 60 series. Mine has a very low tone (v8 like) and sounds great around the city, and I cannot hear it on the freeway at all!! IMHO it is the best of both worlds.

MY024runner 03-13-2003 10:36 AM

exhaust

I too have the 18" magnaflow system.It is great you can hear it and not soo loud.I love the exhaust like many other magnaflow owners on the board:hillbill: :bigok:

rimpainter.com 03-13-2003 11:00 AM

Originally posted by SLC Punk
IMHO it is the best of both worlds.
Ok, would someone please tell me what "IMHO" means? This has been bugging me for a long time. I never asked because I didnt want to look stupid. Now I dont care if I look stupid. :confused:

TDiddy 03-13-2003 11:02 AM

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

rimpainter.com 03-13-2003 11:13 AM

Originally posted by mertztr
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
Ok good, I thought it might have been something derogatory.

Thank you!

ATC 03-13-2003 11:43 AM

I am running full 2.5" Cat free w/ the Flow Master. I only have the little 3.0 V6 in my '95 4Runner but it sounds great. I am sure the headers also help to ad to the sound.

Corey 03-13-2003 11:51 AM

UPDATE

Tom's (mertztr) 18" Magnaflow has just been added to the exhaust sound page.

Also I now have the size of each file after the description so you will know what size the file is.